Arya's Endgame?

Pandean

20 hours ago, Pandean said:

What do you guys speculate Arya's endgame to be?

Personally, I think she will be surviving this season--I feel like it would almost be weirdly cheap if she did not--and perhaps she will survive the series, but she will never really be inducted back into "proper" Westerosi society at any point.

Arya has never been in sync with how Westerosi society views women and so I don't think that it's that unreasonable given all she's been through that if she survives she will continue having a more fighting/soldier like life. Not just because of her personality before, but because of all she's been through. Arya is not like Sansa who has that type of quiet strength, Arya is more emotionally volatile for better or worse and I can't picture her bottling all that up and becoming a Lady--not even Queen in the North or anything. At best, I feel like she'd be like Brienne.

Otherwise, I'm not sure exactly how she'll end up. She's always been hard to pin for me and her storyline has been harder to track due to certain questions (why was Jaqen in the Black Cells, etc.)

In regards to the other living Starks, I think Rickon may die because he's never been super important, Bran is likely to become the next 3ER and Sansa might become Lady of Winterfell or QinT or something. Jon might become KitN but might leave to go to Dany's side...

Just thoughts, mainly on Arya's endgame. I've never seen her going back and fitting into regular society. There are only a select few people who go through that type of stuff and can mesh back into such a structured society. I don't think Arya is one, and it's not a bad thing. Just a trait.

She will wed Asha/Yara after Queen Danaerys legalizes gay marriage.

Maybe the answer is hiding in plain sight:

"You,", Ned said, kissing her lightly on the brow, "will marry a king and rule his castle, and your sons will be knights and princes and lords and yes, perhaps even a High Septon."

Arya screwed up her face. "No," she said, "that's Sansa."

Of course, when we first read this, we smile ruefully enjoy the irony, sure that a very different fate awaits Arya.  And yet, deliciously, this may indeed forecast the ending of Arya's arc! There is a plausible argument for Gendry being the strongest claimant to whatever kind of kingship remains by the end of the season, and the way has been paved for at least the possibility of an Arya/ Gendry relationship. Of course, more stuff will happen to them both in the meantime, but just think: George loves Arya; his wife loves Arya; she's as likely as anyone to make it through to the end and maybe might even finally welcome some normality....  it has to be possible that just for once among the chaos and misery and death and destruction of everyone's lives, we will see a hope for some resolution, some chance for some characters, at least, to have a potential future (like Sam, at the end of 'Lord of the Rings'.)

Ned's quote turning out to be an unwitting prediction would be great! But I'm probably just a ridiculous optimist...

total tinfoil here... but i like the idea of Arya taking over the LSH plot line.  that way, if she's traveling around with the BwoB, then it would make for some dilemmas with the hound when he goes after them for revenge and finds his lil arya.

28 minutes ago, Frosta said:

total tinfoil here... but i like the idea of Arya taking over the LSH plot line.  that way, if she's traveling around with the BwoB, then it would make for some dilemmas with the hound when he goes after them for revenge and finds his lil arya.

I rather doubt that Martin ever intended for Catelyn to recruit Hot Pie’s help in preparing poisoned pies for Walder Frey’s impending wedding party, or for Arya to be going around hanging Freys and Lannisters.   

Given the title of e08 and the fact that Arya's been on a two+ season training to become No one, I'm very certain that she will acually become No one and be a full member of the FM.

What will her assignments be? Given that FM are professional assassins, it should depend entirely on who employes them. And since FM are hugely expensive, the employer(s) has to be rich.

The waaay coolest assignment Arya could get as a FM would be the task to give the gift to The Nights King. Not sure on who could afford to pay the FM enough for such a, to say the least, difficult mission but the Iron bank could be a strong contender given how much money they have sunk into Westeros.

I think Arya can stay in the FM because the Waif will pay the necessary death price. But it depends what Jaquen offers her. He may have a chess strategy in the game of thrones, like Varis, and Littlefinger. He may intend to use Arya to get close to the elite powerful and kill key people. She has knowledge of the great houses: we saw her learning it in S1.

However without knowing more about Jaqen it's impossible to know what his ultimate aim is, so who would he want to kill? (NK? I think that's the fat boy's job). Jaqen did say he'd help Arya achieve her List: so maybe his List is similar. This would make sense of his peculiar opening as a helpless? prisoner, as that was perhaps to get Arya to trust him. She was already very distrustful after all.

But what I find deeply uneasy is Arya's reunion with Jon, and Sansa, possibly Gendry. That seems a lovely idea. but they all knew her as a pretty normal child. She is now a feral, killer. Not what her world expects or accepts of a female child. She might try to fake to fit in but she is now deeply warped. She would betray what she is, in details of how she acts and reacts. (I know this view has been suggested upthread, but that just spoke of her fitting in socially.) What I could see as a great tragedy is that Sansa, Gendry, perhaps even Jon, might simply be unable to relate to her, to accept her as she is now. Especially if they actually see her kill, or just after a kill. To survive as much as she has, to then be rejected by those she loves, however suppressed and hidden that love is, would be bleak indeed. Far richer as a drama than GoT boring bloody kill, kill, torture, tacky type sex.

Let us hope Nymeria comes for her when she leaves Essos, as that could be a genuinely realistic healing arc for her. Animals accept, and Nymeria could reach deep to the child she once was. Not to become that child again, that's impossible. But to revive some of that child so she can connect to her human kindred once more. Then again would Jaqen allow that? More complexity!

I don't know, her storyline just became uninteresting when it was one of the best. 

She's not an assassin, what is she going to do even if she gets back. 

If they think they can explain freaky assassin stuff just by having Jaqen say she's noone they're wrong. 

She's not an assassin, she's not she's not she's not. 

19 hours ago, Silverharp said:

Maybe the answer is hiding in plain sight:

"You,", Ned said, kissing her lightly on the brow, "will marry a king and rule his castle, and your sons will be knights and princes and lords and yes, perhaps even a High Septon."

Arya screwed up her face. "No," she said, "that's Sansa."

Of course, when we first read this, we smile ruefully enjoy the irony, sure that a very different fate awaits Arya.  And yet, deliciously, this may indeed forecast the ending of Arya's arc! There is a plausible argument for Gendry being the strongest claimant to whatever kind of kingship remains by the end of the season, and the way has been paved for at least the possibility of an Arya/ Gendry relationship. Of course, more stuff will happen to them both in the meantime, but just think: George loves Arya; his wife loves Arya; she's as likely as anyone to make it through to the end and maybe might even finally welcome some normality....  it has to be possible that just for once among the chaos and misery and death and destruction of everyone's lives, we will see a hope for some resolution, some chance for some characters, at least, to have a potential future (like Sam, at the end of 'Lord of the Rings'.)

Ned's quote turning out to be an unwitting prediction would be great! But I'm probably just a ridiculous optimist...

If you want an honest truth, it's more likely she'll either fall in love with Jon Snow (Like George originally planned), or she won't find that kind of love in the books. There's more foreshadowing for Jon/Arya, then Gendry/Arya at this point. And to be honest, the only reason most people would prefer Gendry is because they not related, and he's attractive (but you need to ask yourself if they would work, really work together). Both Gendry and Jon are the same age, so they are 5 years older, regardless - that shouldn't be a issue in this discussion. And the problem with Gendry and Arya is that how would they work? How could he sympathize with her when he's never really experienced similar trauma in his life? I'm being practical here. What do they have in common? Arya met him before she went through puberty, so it's like she found him attractive in the same way a hormonal teenager would. If they do reunite, what would they talk about? How would she fall in love? Show Arya and Book Arya are really different. So I don't know how the Show will explore her sexuality/love.

Arya is my favorite character, so I want the best for her. And I don't see how she would come to love Gendry. Her psyche at the moment is damaged in the books, which is why she's able to bury her emotions so deep. Just read the Mercy pov from WOW to understand how. And Gendry won't become king in the books. Not with Dany, Aegon, and potentially Jon with Targaryen linage. The Baratheon line is most likely done for (who's going to fight her Gendry?). And this is Westeros we're talking about. Their won't be some cliche romance like that.

I know, I know what you're thinking. Jon and Arya? Ew, that would never happen, etc. etc. But read my essay first:

and then tell me If the possibility of a Jon/Arya relationship exists. And I doubt this would happen in the TV Show. People would lose their minds, I think. If you have any questions, pm me. :)

1. She'll join B w/o B & the Hound and head North after killing Frey's.
2. She'll become a member of Sansa's Queen's guard until she gets bored.
3. She'll go exploring West w/Theon and other bastard & broken things.
4. She comes back to Inn and marries Hotpie in her golden years.

She'll sue the Trump University for Kids Who Can't Kill Good And Want To Do Other Stuff Good Too because she didn't really learn anything useful after two years in the program. 

Her only other classmate could sue for the same reason , but she prefers to save face. 

She's going home. My guess is that she'll meet up with the BwB, kill some Freys, then head north to Winterfell just in time for the Wall to come down. 

Sandor Clegane is afraid of fire, but he will have to face that fear if he's going to battle wights. 

On 6/10/2016 at 8:16 PM, Pandean said:

What do you guys speculate Arya's endgame to be?

Personally, I think she will be surviving this season--I feel like it would almost be weirdly cheap if she did not--and perhaps she will survive the series, but she will never really be inducted back into "proper" Westerosi society at any point.

Arya has never been in sync with how Westerosi society views women

At this point, the whole show is about strong women smashing the patriarchy. Dorne, Dany, Yara and Brienne all already explicitly break out of the female gender role (with varying degrees of success). By the time Arya makes it back to Westeros who knows how Westeros views women; there is likely to be a Queen on the Iron Throne, A Queen in Sunspear, and a Queen on the Seastone Chair by the time the show has run its course. A Queen in the North is 50/50 at this point. Maybe she'll be Mistress of Secrets on Dany's all-girl small council, I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.

5 hours ago, AryaNymeriaVisenya said:

I loved the reference to west of westeros. That is what Brandon the Shipwright did. I think that scene was more to show that she is thinking beyond vengeance now. 

I think that scene was an attempt to force the drama for her eventual "shocking" decision to go back home. In the writer's minds all the stuff with the play this season was supposed to slowly motivate her to go home. But even at the beginning of this episode we are supposed to wonder where she will go next, making her last lines more powerful. Of course, where she is going is exactly where everyone expected her to go...

Arya is headed to Westeros, possibly with Jaqen. She'll cross a few names off her list then head North picking up Nymeria along the way. Many reunions with occur, the Hound, Sansa, Jon & Bran, then it's on to the White Walkers. I suspect Arya will be here to the end, she's a tough little chick.

Archived