The Wheel of Osheim by Mark Lawrence

C.T. Phipps

Well, I picked it up yesterday and have ploughed through it. I very much enjoyed the book but it's a good deal more conventional of a read than the Broken Empire Trilogy. Prince Jalan never really reaches the Faustian/Luciferian heights of greatness and tragedy as Prince Jorg but settles comfortably into his role as Harry Flashman's distant descendant. Despite this, I've got to say I had an immense amount of fun reading the book and can't wait for the upcoming third trilogy.

I will say I'm sad Jalan took over the starring role completely from the buddy comedy antics of the first book, though, and Kara got sidelined.

My review of the book

Only 100 pages in but it's fun so far. It's hard to escape the Flashman comparisons though which isn't neccessarily bad but can be a little distracting.

Two things I've really enjoyed so far

the elton John shout-out. I can't help but imagine the vikings singing "I'm still standing" post-battle. The other being the meeting with Jorg and Lawrence's tongue-in-cheek self-admission that they have very similar situations surrounding them.

41 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

That bit bit does make me wonder when the human race destroyed itself. Sometimes it feels very much like our world which nuked itself and other times, a post-Singularity utopia.

From the "author's note" at the beginning of the book.

"the red queen's war is about the change the builders made in reality a thousand years previously - the change that introduced magic into the world shortly before the previous society (us in about fifty years) was destryed in a nuclear war"

So it's well within the realm of being able to make pop references that become legends/bards.

I finished the book yesterday and liked it a lot! I totally agree with C.T. Phipps, that it is different from the Broken Empire trilogy. Whether it's more conventional or not is impossible for me to say. Personally, I think that it is rewarding for Lawrence to play around with different styles of writing. Thanks Mark for another superb book!

• 3 weeks later...

Wait, Elton John reference?  I totally missed that!  

I just finished today, and I loved it.  Parts of this trilogy were every bit as moving and emotional as the Broken Empire books, though peppered through with Jalan's Flashman humor.  The bit about the cardinal on the road was hilarious.

One thing I didn't like:

Spoiler

I know that this is Jalan's book and Jalan's trilogy, and it is told from a very self-centered point of view, but I would have liked some acknowledgement or mention at the end of where he stood relative to Jorg's accession and what happened to the Broken Empire after the meeting in Vyenne.

On 6/12/2016 at 6:54 AM, C.T. Phipps said:

Sometimes it feels very much like our world which nuked itself and other times, a post-Singularity utopia.

Well, it struck me as both, somewhat. The Wheel of Osheim being what, the Large Hadron Collider or something quite similar, which permitted Humanity's perceptions and beliefs a degree of artistry over reality made-malleable. But, imagining that something like this were to happen, there would definitely be a fraction that saw the potential in it, for their respective godhead/supremacy [or whatever] and so weren't disposed to use their words or share-- hence the nuclear bombardment.     

Nah.

Flashman at the charge, bowels turned to liquid and protesting, is the height of what Donaldson tried to do in the Gap Cycle with Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen and Angus Thermopyle-- a what if type scenario presupposing that Siegmund's courage was really just the extremity of a coward whose fear gave him no where else to go. What acts might someone like this, in that situation, be capable of.

Except funny. Really funny. 

I've never read any flashman either, but its on the WHY HAVEN'T YOU READ THIS YET YOU LOSER list.

Although to be honest when i see flashman I think of MegaMan 2 :P

Anyway yeah I finished this book...saturday? Last weekend. Loved every minute of it, particularly all the dying earth stuff at the end.

And per the opening, the day of a thousand suns is us nuking the shit ot of earth 50 years from now. o.O

• 7 months later...
On 15/02/2017 at 5:54 AM, Darth Richard II said:

Did you tell him we miss him and want him to come back? :(

Same here.

8 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

I asked him and it's not likely Lawrence will come back.

The way things were handled when Only Requires That You Hate went at him and how his posts in response were deleted by the mods here left a very bad taste in his mouth, it appears. . . :(

Wasn't even aware of that. . .

Patrick

I try to keep checking in on his blog and get email updates but it is a shame we don't have that immediate contact with him any more. Looking forward to his new series. I think a new world could be a great change of pace - I don't doubt Mark's writing but felt like he (or I ) was becoming too comfortable in the Broken Empire series.

That was a really interesting interview. My jaw dropped slighlty at the fact he's got the entire trilogy done (and not in a Rothfuss way) and started several other projects. Given his family commitments I'm always put to shame by my excuse of not finding the time to write and seeing his productivity.

The premise/setting of the new trilogy sounds really cool - makes me even more keen to get started on it.

I also liked his "regret" on agreeing to foreshadow the twist in "Empire of thorns" - I ws definitely one of those who felt it was a bit obvious. I feel better knowing this wasn't his initial intention.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Someone should have asked him is he was Maarkis Williams.

Oh and which twist are we talking about

Reveal hidden contents

The dead king being his bro or that he only exists as a hologram?

The former. 

Archived