CLEGANEBOWL.. Why it won't happen the way you think

The Sparrow will name Loras Tyrell as the Faith's champion, NOT the Hound. Below is my reasoning for why:

The Hound and the Mountain seem destined to clash in the predicted "Cleganebowl" that would have the Mountain as Cersei's champion and the Hound as the Faith's champion.  This all ties together very nicely, brings a beloved character, now tied to the Faith, back around.  However, that is just way too clean sounding for me and what I know of Game of Thrones. 

The Sparrow is a power player.  He takes every opportunity to elevate both his and the Faith's place in the the world.  The Hound, though I love him, is relatively insignificant when compared to other potential champions.  Does naming the Hound somehow twist the knife in Cersei's back? Does it do anything to benefit the Faith's position? No. I believe he will name Loras Tyrell as his champion.  The Sparrow would then 100% turn the Tyrells and Lannisters against each other.  He would also turn the people completely against Cersei and the Lannisters, as she was willing to slaughter the Tyrell male heir, her own son's wife, the freakin QUEEN'S BROTHER to save herself.  In doing this, he can further remove the Lannisters from the King's Landing power hierarchy.  It just makes so much sense. Billy Mays voice: **BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!**

There is already a precent set for things to go down like I detailed above.  Remember season 1? The tourney? When the Mountain jousted against... Loras Tyrell? They've already clashed once! Remember who stepped in to save Loras from the Mountain? THE HOUND! It certainly strikes me as a possibility that the Sparrow names Loras as the Faith's champion, and the Hound steps in to save Loras and fight his brother.  And Cleganebowl could still happen this way! We may get what we want, but just not in the way we expect it.  What I do know, with complete certainty, is that naming the Hound as the Faith's champion is a seriously wasted political opportunity.  The Sparrow has been incredibly adept at making the most out of each seemingly small circumstance, so I just don't see him wasting an opportunity this large. 

The above could also apply to Lancel Lannister, but I think that is less likely and less impactful. Let me know what you think!

Edit: I changed the Lancel Lannister reference from the beginning to the end of the post. 

I am not at all a fan of Cleganebowl, especially since there are no ties anymore between Hound and anyone in King's Landing, especially not the Sparrows. Can't see why it would happen.

But I do LOVE your theory on Loras being named the champion of the Faith. Broken and desperate, Lancel might do just about anything (including a suicidal fight against Frankengregor) to end his misery.

How the fight then will play out is another matter. My guess is that the fight for some reason will be cancelled.

In any case:

Kevan and Pycelle will still go down and the purpose of that is to bring kaos to KL. Which should indicate a Cersei victory of some kind.

I think Lady Crane's speech (plus what Jaime said to Brienne) is the show's way of foreshadowing that Cersei isn't done with Sansa yet.  Once she's done burning the Sparrows with wildfire, she will send Robert Strong after Sansa, because that sort of revenge is all she will have left after Tommen dies and she has no children.  

That's when we will get Cleganebowl imo, when Robert Strong goes to kill Sansa and the Hound saves her (probably dies in doing it too),

22 minutes ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

I think Lady Crane's speech (plus what Jaime said to Brienne) is the show's way of foreshadowing that Cersei isn't done with Sansa yet.  Once she's done burning the Sparrows with wildfire, she will send Robert Strong after Sansa, because that sort of revenge is all she will have left after Tommen dies and she has no children.  

That's when we will get Cleganebowl imo, when Robert Strong goes to kill Sansa and the Hound saves her (probably dies in doing it too),

This!  I never thought Cleganebowl would happen in the fashion of the Oberyn vs. The Mountain.  I believed it would happen in a forest or field somewhere without many witnesses, if any. 

Umm so Tommen insists on a actual trial for Cersei who if proven guilty of incest makes him a bastard and not king, so if Cersei loses he loses his head, you would think Tommen would have better advisors

20 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

Umm so Tommen insists on a actual trial for Cersei who if proven guilty of incest makes him a bastard and not king, so if Cersei loses he loses his head, you would think Tommen would have better advisors

The incest that Cersei is accused of is with Lancel, not Jaime.

22 minutes ago, NikkiG said:

This!  I never thought Cleganebowl would happen in the fashion of the Oberyn vs. The Mountain.  I believed it would happen in a forest or field somewhere without many witnesses, if any. 

Personally, I think it will take place at the Eyrie, bookwise at least.  I think that whole 'mountains blowing in the wind like leaves' thing from Dany's prophecy is about the Mountain being shoved out the Moon Door.  

I think that might be the only way anyone can kill him at this point, since Qyburn's alterations have made it impossible for simple swordplay to kill him imo.  A long fall out the Moon Door should do the trick though.    

25 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

Isn't the trail to prove she has an affair with Lancel Lannister and not about incest with Jamie. If the High Sparrow proves that Tommen is a child of incest he has no right to the throne and the High Sparrow would lose his hold on power.

27 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

Tommen thinks Robert Baratheon is his father, which he'll probably learn the truth of, and will be the cause of his demise. 

I'm guessing 

6 minutes ago, The Lizard King said:

7 minutes ago, The Lizard King said:

Actually no, she is accused of incest-Stannis' accusations. season 5, episode 10, she admitted to Lancel and did the Walk of Shame for it

1 minute ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

Personally, I think it will take place at the Eyrie, bookwise at least.  I think that whole 'mountains blowing in the wind like leaves' thing from Dany's prophecy is about the Mountain being shoved out the Moon Door.  

I think that might be the only way anyone can kill him at this point, since Qyburn's alterations have made it impossible for simple swordplay to kill him imo.  A long fall out the Moon Door should do the trick though.    

How on earth would that work plot-wise?  The mountain is in Kings landing, never more than 5 feet from Cersei at any time.  The Hound is a cripple on the quiet isle with no apparent desire to go anywhere. Somehow GRRM is going to contrive some scenario where they both go to the Eyrie so they can fight?

3 minutes ago, CasterlyBrick said:

Isn't the trail to prove she has an affair with Lancel Lannister and not about incest with Jamie. If the High Sparrow proves that Tommen is a child of incest he has no right to the throne and the High Sparrow would lose his hold on power.

The trial is for the incest with Jaime, she admitted the affair with Lancel and did the walk of shame for it. 

So if she is found guilty, she is killed, Tommen is dethroned and the HS loses the support of the Iron Throne

4 minutes ago, RottenAppleFossoway said:

Tommen thinks Robert Baratheon is his father, which he'll probably learn the truth of, and will be the cause of his demise. 

I'm guessing 

True but those who advise him that are in the know-Kevan and Pycelle at least and likely the HS should be advocating for the Cersei situation to go away quietly, they have no logical motivation to push Cersei's trial

Why do people want this to happen? Unless the Hound gets some cliche power up, it won't be a fair fight. And if the Hound wins, it would be because the writers wanted that to happen, and will make up some bs method to do so. Zombie Mountain would win, hands down.

30 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

How on earth would that work plot-wise?  The mountain is in Kings landing, never more than 5 feet from Cersei at any time.  The Hound is a cripple on the quiet isle with no apparent desire to go anywhere. Somehow GRRM is going to contrive some scenario where they both go to the Eyrie so they can fight?

Did you think I meant this would happen early in Winds or something?  Martin doesn't do jetpacks like the show, so this is a development that's quite a ways down the line imo, probably ADOS material.  

Once her children are dead and the Sparrows are burned, I think Cersei will set about seeking revenge on all her remaining enemies, which will include Sansa.  Cersei can either keep Robert Strong nearby to protect her at all times or she could set him loose on her enemies. I think she will choose the latter.  I don't think that's a far fetched or "contrived" scenario at all.   

The same with Sandor not staying on the Quiet Isle forever and his eventually gravitating back towards the Stark girls, which would put him in Robert Strong's path if Cersei sends him after Sansa.   

Archived