[Spoilers] Criticize without repercussion

teemo

The Sopranos season 6 was great, I don't know what you guys are smoking.  Some of the series' best episodes were in seasons 6A and 6B.  It wasn't anywhere near jumping the shark.  The Wire had a lot more problems in its final season, albeit it did have a better finale.  

10 hours ago, Apathetic Onlooker said:

His editor was certainly much more forward though.

O RLY? Deets?

7 hours ago, teemo said:

The Sopranos season 6 was great, I don't know what you guys are smoking.  Some of the series' best episodes were in seasons 6A and 6B.  It wasn't anywhere near jumping the shark.  The Wire had a lot more problems in its final season, albeit it did have a better finale.  

Well now who's smoking something? The Wire was solid gold start to finish, the only problem with season 5 being that there wasn't enough of it. Blame HBO for that.

And I'm not saying that The Sopranos jumped the shark in its final season, I'm saying it went off the boil. It was still pretty hot, though.

14 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

I don't know that mcnutty serial killer story was a bit odd

but the emotional payoff for many characters was great

Yeah McNulty's S5 scheme was a bit ridiculous but it was treated as such and the causal effects and repercussions were smartly examined in all relevant areas (the newsroom, the police department, City Hall and the community at large). It was a minor quibble with an extraordinary series.

Back on topic: it strikes me as faintly ridiculous that Braavos has some kind of spherical fruit market set upon a long set of steps. Clever, these Braavosi!

42 minutes ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

I thought so too until I read David Simon pointing out that it's considerably less ridiculous than Hamsterdam. Fair point, that man.

I think for me the circumstances that led to Major Colvin making that move were brilliantly established. That for me is the fundamental difference. McNulty's motives and intentions weren't so well established as Colvin's in my opinion.

We are off-topic though. I'm always receptive to continuing this in PMs if you wish to.

A lot of the criticism didn't only go toward the serial killer storyline, but also the newsroom one.  Pretty much all Wire fans and critics agree that the newsroom characters were much less developed and interesting than previous seasons new characters.  A lot of people also believe a big part of the storyline was basically done because David Simon was on a vendetta against people he used to work with. Still an amazing season, but you'll be hard-pressed to find many fans who don't consider s5 their least favorite season.  It definitely had some issues, was not just "solid gold."  I love The Wire, all of it, but all previous seasons were vastly better.  This is pretty common Wire knowledge. 

On June 17, 2016 at 4:25 PM, teemo said:

Sopranos 6b is probably the strongest closing season of any show. A million times better than the Wire season 5. 

7 hours ago, teemo said:

A lot of the criticism didn't only go toward the serial killer storyline, but also the newsroom one.  Pretty much all Wire fans and critics agree that the newsroom characters were much less developed and interesting than previous seasons new characters.  A lot of people also believe a big part of the storyline was basically done because David Simon was on a vendetta against people he used to work with. Still an amazing season, but you'll be hard-pressed to find many fans who don't consider s5 their least favorite season.  It definitely had some issues, was not just "solid gold."  I love The Wire, all of it, but all previous seasons were vastly better.  This is pretty common Wire knowledge. 

You're right about the vendetta, and it being the worst season, but even the worst season of The Wire is still solid gold. Maybe 18-carat, compared to the rest of the show's 24.

12 minutes ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

You're right about the vendetta, and it being the worst season, but even the worst season of The Wire is still solid gold. Maybe 18-carat, compared to the rest of the show's 24.

Yeah, exactly.  Compared to other seasons of The Wire it was probably like a 7, but compared to other shows in general...probably a 9.8.

17 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Back on topic: it strikes me as faintly ridiculous that Braavos has some kind of spherical fruit market set upon a long set of steps. Clever, these Braavosi!

:lol:   Good catch, I wonder why I missed that?

Oh right, I was to busy laughing at the fruit vendor picking up oranges and putting them into a basket while some poor girl who had just dropped from the sky was rolling around grunting and bleeding profusely from the gut just five feet away from him. :rolleyes: 

3 hours ago, Darkstream said:

Oh right, I was to busy laughing at the fruit vendor picking up oranges and putting them into a basket while some poor girl who had just dropped from the sky was rolling around grunting and bleeding profusely from the gut just five feet away from him. :rolleyes: 

Hahaha true

Draw attention away from one ridiculous thing with something even more ridiculous   :lol:

12 hours ago, Darkstream said:

I was half-expecting to see the cabbage-merchant from Avatar: The Last Airbender yelling 'My cabbages!!!'

12 hours ago, Darkstream said:

Well, did you see that some of the oranges had blood on them when they dropped to the ground? Doran watched blood oranges drop to ground in the books, sooooo blood on oranges on the ground must = blood oranges falling to the ground for family symbolism. 

See, just like the books! :thumbsup:

Well, oranges are frequently a symbol of impending death, ever since The Godfather. (Why oranges? No idea.) It's become a bit of an in-joke, like the Wilhelm scream - one of those bits of meta-humour that was probably quite funny thirty years ago, before everybody did it.

So when I saw literally dozens of oranges rolling all over the goddamn screen, I think I actually let loose an "Oh, come on!"

20 minutes ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

Well, oranges are frequently a symbol of impending death, ever since The Godfather. (Why oranges? No idea.) It's become a bit of an in-joke, like the Wilhelm scream - one of those bits of meta-humour that was probably quite funny thirty years ago, before everybody did it.

So when I saw literally dozens of oranges rolling all over the goddamn screen, I think I actually let loose an "Oh, come on!"

During the Arya scene alone, I shouted "Oh, come on!" more times than Tyrion has asked where whores go, and Jaime has thought about Moonboy combined throughout all of Feast and Dance.

Archived