[Spoilers] Criticize without repercussion

teemo

I can't believe I am writing this but there now is one possible development that would make sense: that Jaime would take the Lannister forces north to join Sansa against the Boltons. 1) He would punish the Boltons for betraying the alliance by the Sansa marriage, 2) He would avenge them for cutting off his hand, 3) He would help Brienne, 4) He would begin to compensate for the numerous atrocities and betrayals he has committed against the Starks (Bran, Ned, Jory and the rest of the guard, Catelyn, Sansa and Arya.) Sometimes NCW at least makes it appear that Larry has a conscience.

That way otherwise useless detours such as Locke, Sansay marriage and now Riverrun would at least be given some meaning. Of course it won't happen, but you can dream, can't you?

PS: I am dumbstruck... I mean, it just killed all the joy of the series. I told ppl not to expect any "great twist" or "masterplan" behind Arya's wounds of last episde and I called that it would be the actress miraculously rescueing her, and here we are, but it was worse than in my worst nightmares. I really feel like crying. Just becaue I wish I had someone to slap for butchring this awesome show! But here we sit, all die hard fans, watching it happening... They fanfictionized GoT and that's it. D&D should better go and hide in a hole - that's the right place of shame.

4 minutes ago, Stark_Contrast said:

I can't believe I am writing this but there now is one possible development that would make sense: that Jaime would take the Lannister forces north to join Sansa against the Boltons. 1) He would punish the Boltons for betraying the alliance by the Sansa marriage, 2) He would avenge them for cutting off his hand, 3) He would help Brienne, 4) He would begin to compensate for the numerous atrocities and betrayals he has committed against the Starks (Bran, Ned, Jory and the rest of the guard, Catelyn, Sansa and Arya.) Sometimes NCW at least makes it appear that Larry has a conscience.

That way otherwise useless detours such as Locke, Sansay marriage and now Riverrun would at least be given some meaning. Of course it won't happen, but you can dream, can't you?

Unless all of this was a wish of Carol's, no it won't happen. At this point, d$d have smashed all hopes and dreams I had about this show. I have absolutely no expectations anymore other than that of rage and frustration. 

I feel sad this morning.  I feel cheated by the season so far.  

5 minutes ago, Stark_Contrast said:

I would love to see this, but I can't believe that it would happen.  Jaime needs to go back to KL for Cersei's trial.  He won't join Brienne until he is convinced Cersei has lost it.

I'm hoping that the Blackfish has escaped somehow.  They did say he was dead, but I want to believe he would fight with Sansa.

They have left so much for the last 2 episodes.... I almost never whinge, but this season has just left me feeling empty.

Game of thrones the tv show is a sinking boat...even more this season. 

Dont really care that much. just hope the show doesnt influence GRRM next books...that is if they ever come out...

I guess that as a book fan I should be quite happy that the show is doing what it’s doing - I mean there’s no way the book plots will be this bad!  And that means less spoiling of the book story!

I tend to think (following the sloppy writing of the Dorne, Meereen, Northern and Arya storylines) that even the “Big Reveals” like the HOld the DOoR and Jon Snow Lives moments will be presented in a much more wholesome and enjoyable manner than they have done in the show. 

So I guess on a positive note - the fact that this season is so dire is making me look forward to the book release even more!

"No one" is the worst episode of this season so far and it's not like other episodes have been great (except for The Door). I fucking hope that Jon vs Ramsay would be good. Please D&D, don't disappoint again, you nailed battle of hardhome, you can make this one epic too

What the hell are they thinking by writing the plotline whereby Edmure’s got a son born already?  Surely that negates the need for Edmure!  The Freys have now got a legitimate Tully heir to consolidate their hold on the Riverlands.

In the books, the fact that Edmure’s Frey wife hasn’t given birth to a son as yet is the only reason he’s alive!

12 minutes ago, CJDTrismegistus said:

What the hell are they thinking by writing the plotline whereby Edmure’s got a son born already?  Surely that negates the need for Edmure!  The Freys have now got a legitimate Tully heir to consolidate their hold on the Riverlands.

In the books, the fact that Edmure’s Frey wife hasn’t given birth to a son as yet is the only reason he’s alive!

Well, Freys seem to be pregnant for couple of weeks, remember Walda.

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

I haven't read this thread yet, so probably this stuff has already been discussed, but I need to rant anyway. Here goes...

Riverrun:
Jamie agreeing to Brienne's deal did not make much sense to me.

My anachronism of the week: family home

Jaime, you're oversharing about Cersei! But well, twincest, kinslaying... who cares about these things anymore? Btw., when he finally - and suddenly, BAM, because SHOCK! - renounces Cersei in the near future (I expect), am I supposed to cheer? Because I won't.

Blackfish dying off-screen... Sure, why not, he spent the last couple of seasons off-screen, right? Continuity!

Braavos:

Wow, Arya has sure recovered nicely, what with those deep stab wounds, twisted knife... Just a few scratches, I suppose... It's ridiculous. I really would have preferred some of those tinfoil theories being true. You can't blame people for honeypotting when the real plot makes so little sense.

Arya killing the Waif off-screen... Sure, why not. Everything else would be gratuitious. Speaking of which... Bye-bye, Older Theatre Actress, I liked you.

And has Jaquen drunk from the stupid juice, too? She's broken her contract and killed The Waif, so she is no one?! Am I supposed to find any logic in this plot, or with the FM, at all?

I'm tempted to honeypot again, but I've run out of tinfoil.

Not only do the Braavosi never bat an eyelash when there is brutal fighting in their streets, vendors also just shrug when someone knocks down all their fruits, instead of trying to catch the perpetrator... I'm sure it was like that back when.

Mereen:

Oh how I miss the days when I found Varys intriguing! Now he is just pathetic. Sucking up to Tyrion. Believing Dany will return because otherwise his little heart would break. My own heart is breaking because of the rotten dialogue, btw. And they are still roaming the streets with no protection whatsoever, but whatevs, considering that the fleet was not guarded, either...

Tyrion is insufferable. His oh-so-funny scene was going on and on and on... I want MissWorm to kill him. I actually think that if the rest of the season was boring MissWorm rom-com, it would still be marginally better than what we got.

King's Landing:

Wait, so one kingsguard (no matter how strong and undead) is not enough of a defense against the bunch of fanatics who have overtaken your city? Who'd have thunk it? No way Cersei could have known that last ep when she sent Jaime away; plus, taking back Riverrun was much more important than, say, avenge your daughter and reassert your house's position or, oh, I don't know, TAKE BACK THE CAPITAL?!

Does Tommen not realize that if his mother goes on trial for incest, he and his family will be toast? And most importantly, Ser Pounce?

But no TBC anymore, so we do know Loras will die. (I mean, are we seriously expecting the Tyrells to strike back after more than one season after the coup?)  I think I'm officially team Carol now. Burn them all, sister!

Basically killing the Blackfish was worth all that, getting Riverrun off the Blackfish was more important than Kings landing, avenging Myrcella. Protecting Cersei, or attempting to protect the King Timmon who is surrounded by Lannister's enemy's, Riverrun must be real nice! Another thing is the bullshit action grabs that were manufactured just to look good in a trailer! Davos drawing his sword and saying "I apologise in advance" led to NOTHiNG! Cersie saying " I choose violence" ONE faith militant. Pod being melodramatically grabbed  from behind, A JOKE.  Varys and the red priestess, NOTHING. Jaime saying to Cersei "we will take it all back from our enemies" he must be referring to Riverrun from that pesky Blackfish because Myrcella who? The Sand Snakes plans for war on the Lannistsers and killing Trystane in Kings Landing, NOTHING. Need I go on??

1 hour ago, Alex7s said:

Game of thrones the tv show is a sinking boat...even more this season. 

Dont really care that much. just hope the show doesnt influence GRRM next books...that is if they ever come out...

Sadly, in terms of viewership, I think it isn't. Not that I think it would really matter even if the numbers dropped significantly, at this point in the show. D&D already want to move on, they have their Emmys and their money already... Not trying to discuss, just sharing my misery! And I don't have the books to look forward to.

Oh, I forgot to mention in my first rant: How tasteful of Tyrion to start telling a brothel joke to former slaves, when prostitutes in Essos are slaves! Classy.

5 hours ago, GeorgeIAF said:

I was always pissed at people moaning on this thread and nitpicking every scene, even if that scene was good. 

But now they have every right to criticize,

This:

3 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Well, we've always had the right to criticize, but thanks anyway for the permission.

And the bad writing isn't new, it has been a problem from the start- except during the first seasons there was enough guidance from the books to cover up the times the show creators fell short. From the books they had a solid and fairly contained plot to work with and plenty of dialogue to borrow from. Now that the show creators are on their own it's become truly evident that they don't know what the f they're doing- but even though the first seasons were entertaining, there have been problems with quality all along.

Sigh. One of the things I originally really liked about this show, before I even read the books, was that the plot actually moved forward. This is kind of rare in TV - reality bites, new locations are expensive, and so on, so most shows, even the really good ones, tend to keep things in the one place, in the one situation. They won't move characters to whole new locations, they won't kill off characters, or introduce new ones, because it's all very expensive.

In a bad show, this means they just spin their wheels between big moments, like Sons of Anarchy (since season 3, at least). Even in a good show, like Breaking Bad...

Spoiler

...which could move very fast when it wanted to, and was eventually willing to upend the status quo... well, I just remember in season 4, when everything suddenly and thrillingly went to shit a few episodes ahead of the usual end of season schedule, and they put Walt in a tighter bind than ever before. I'm talking about Crawl Space, which might've been the best episode ever - it was so goddamn tense at the end, I nearly had a heart attack. Where was I? Oh yes:

The point was, every avenue was closed for Walter at that point, and to me it felt like the logical thing to do would have been for him to run, or die, or... just something to break up the status quo of that show. Move him out of Alberquerque (sp?), break up his family, whatever. But they didn't, because they couldn't, because it's a TV show. The whole production is stationed in New Mexico, the actors are all on contract, etc.

Or like in The Sopranos, where...

Spoiler

...they kept Dr. Melfi in the show, even though her character was exhausted and her arc all but completed in season 3 (I think), with the rape episode. After that there was nothing for her to do except come to see who Tony really was and reject him, but they wanted to save that for the end, and so gave her the bare minimum, contract-fulfilling wheel-spinning bullshit for 3 seasons, until a perfunctory (and thus weightless) climax.

In Game of Thrones, it was different. Home locations were destroyed or abandoned, character groupings were split up and repositioned, characters weren't kept around once their arcs had been completed. it had the narrative momentum/efficiency of a novel, or a movie - of a story that wasn't allowing itself to be limited by its format.

No more, of course: Jaime especially has spent the last two seasons just farting around because the writers needed to give him something to do before whatever big climactic moment lies in his future. The High Sparrow has been elevated out of all proportion, probably because Jonathan Pryce didn't come cheap. (Or maybe because they really think the religious angle was that important, but that's a whole different argument that I don't want to get into right this second.)

This goddamn Riverrun debacle has been even more dispiriting than Dorne. It's completely purposeless: the narrative is in almost exactly the same place as it was before it started, and anything that was gained could easily have been gotten to quicker.

In the books, Jaime is bluffing when he threatens Edmure. If he's bluffing in the show, I'm yet to see any evidence.

Sorry for the rambling, but fuck, I'm annoyed.

This episode completely wiped away any worry I have for the show spoiling the books.  There is ZERO chance that GRRM writes such crappy, nonsensical plot arcs for TWOW.  The show is turning into such a plot-holed disgrace.  D&D have no idea what they are doing.

I'm already 21 pages behind, wow ...

I'll catch up, but I'm almost getting tired of ranting, the show has gotten so bad. I'm quite happy the ratings are so much lower, at least now people who have strangely supported the show so far are starting to see that something is going very, very wrong here.

Let me rant about some small things:

- Why didn't Beric ask about Arya? Seriously, did they forget how Clegane left the last time they saw him?
- How many millions have they spent on Riverrun sets alone? The scenes at Riverrun are completely unimportant, yet they used their budget here rather than, say, a proper kingsmoot (let alone a decent scriptwriter)
- The FM are the worst assassins ever. How could Arya learn anything from them. My cat is better at killing people.
- Brienne waving back made me laugh - the simple idea that she could actually see Jaime is almost sweet. But also rather :bang:
- Bronn has taken over the dick joke job this week. They were never funny (well, Thormund's kind of was, but then he's Thormund). This week's was among the worst of them. I'd beg D&D to kill me off if I was an actor in the show at that stage. No actor proud of his job could enjoy doing shit like that.

1. Blackfish made into a stubborn, obsolete old fool.

2. Blackfish and Edmure being catty to each other.

3. The blood spilled in Riverrun while in the book there was actually a point of not sheding any.

4. The utter lack of wit in any Riverrun conversation.

5. Shoving Cersei-talk into conversations in the Riverlands.

6. Way too long scene of Bronn talking to Pod about fucking.

Yes, I hated Riverrun. But that's obviously not all.

7. 'Finally a girl is no one' - what the actual shit? Wasn't becoming no one about losing one's identity and becoming a discreet professional asassin and not botching all your of asassination missions, creating a huge spectacle in the city, getting other people involved in your fight and then bringing a trophy and splattering blood all over the temple?

8. Sandor Vorhees.

9. Tyrion, Gery Worm & Missandei scenes.

10. Daenerys dramatic entry.

Archived