[Spoilers] Criticize without repercussion

teemo

The one good thing about the show at this point is that it effectively can't spoil anything from the books. Even with the things that we can be reasonably sure are going to happen in the upcoming books (i.e. Jon being resurrected), the context and characterization surrounding it is so far off from what we know is happening or is going to happen in the books that how the show did it just can't be how the books are going to do it. 

This is further cemented by the way the show has adapted some other plot points this season that had already occurred in released books (the Tower of Joy fight and the Kingsmoot). Both of those adaptations are so far removed from how they happened in the books that they effectively don't spoil anything for the non-book readers. 

1 minute ago, YOVMO said:

In the original she drove the batmobile and engaged the motorcycle. Then, along with Mira Harker, Mr. Hyde, Allan Quatermain and Billy the Kid blew up most of Braavos.

It's scary how bad things must be on the GOT set, when the 18 year old actress is trying to tone down the stupid to something manageable.

Arya driving the Batmobile or finding out she's really Cat Woman....might as well go full on camp at this point.

3 hours ago, Steelegrave said:

And the hits just keep on comin.

From the preview Ramsey Sue leaves a perfectly good fortress to fight Jon "Absolutely-no-character-progression-after-being-murdered-and-brought-back" Snow and his Wild Bunch on the field.

These guys don't have the first clue what they are doing.  A class of 3rd Graders could write a more logical story.

wait a moment there sir. You are forgetting...these are the geniuses that brought you the hound saying "chicken" I mean he said Chicken. You do get how fucking amazing that is right? Like, the way it tied into his chicken arc from before. This is advanced stuff.

Yeah, it looks like Ramsy is leaving a perfectly good fortress but that is how previews work, you know, to get you to think. What they don't show is that he is bringing 20 good men.....all of which are shirtless...so, ya know, jokes on you...and by joke I mean the one about the finger in the butthole...

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

It's scary how bad things must be on the GOT set, when the 18 year old actress is trying to tone down the stupid to something manageable.

Arya driving the Batmobile or finding out she's really Cat Woman....might as well go full on camp at this point.

to be fair.......CHICKEN!!!!! YAYYYYYY!!!!! CHICKEN!!!!!!

Just now, Cas Stark said:

So, when Arya and the Hound meet will they (1) Riff on chicken, (2) Eat chicken (3) Steal chickens (4) All of the above.

I don't know you IRL cas stark and you do not know me. So even with the air of mystery and not being certain of the outcome, I will bet you all the money in my pockets versus all the money in your pockets right now that there will be another hokey chicken line.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

That was an excellent rant.  I'm sort of sad that I don't have the energy to muster a serious rant any more.

That was indeed spot-on.  I agree with everything 100%.

Is there anywhere I can just read a review of the episodes after they run, from now on?

There's one or two characters I'd like to track to see what happens to them. But I really really don't want to insult myself by giving a whole hour to watching this any more. Enough.

1 minute ago, Morgain said:

Is there anywhere I can just read a review of the episodes after they run, from now on?

There's one or two characters I'd like to track to see what happens to them. But I really really don't want to insult myself by giving a whole hour to watching this any more. Enough.

io9 does a decent point-by-point plot wrap-up shortly after airing.

Aside from the homosexual innuendo, which (apparently) obviously means they have to die, why did the Hound kill those four guys sitting at the campfire?

I don't remember seeing them with Lem.  I don't remember them discussing anything about attacking the sept.

The Hound walks up and splatters them with an Axe, because I guess we need to see that he's still a badass?

I like how the Hound's 'death' and Jon's actual death have had the same effect: none. Both characters are basically the same, Jon's just a bit mopier.

The show is way past the books in many areas and yet it is still dragging its feet. What's actually happened in King's Landing this year? Or Meereen? Or the North? Those plots are now free from any constraints of the books and yet they have barely progressed. So much for the 'D&D are improving on the books' idea.

3 hours ago, Houndbird said:

That goes for the entire show.  If they had stuck to the books, dialogue , plot etc. it would haven been a brilliant show. They too stupid and arrogant to think they could improve on a masterpiece. 

Agree. The first seasons were great. Now, that the plot is going so far from the actual book plot that they can barely see each other, it's getting ridiculous. Most of the stories are simply bad and illogical. D&D don't even care to pretend that the plots, characters or actions make sense. Arya carelessly wandering in daylight around Braavos as a tourist while a merciless assassin looking for her because she maybe plans to lead her to her basement, assuming that she will have plenty of time to do it? Fine. Tommen in one episode saying that he will kill HS and in the next one he and HS are the best friends? Fine. Sandor going all killing machine on four random men in the woods without even knowing who they are? Fine. Waste x minutes of screentime on Tyrion trying to make Greyworm and Missandei chatty, telling "jokes"? Fine. Fine. Fine. Is it just me, or Dorne is starting to seem mostly harmless? :blink:

3 hours ago, RhaeBee said:

What the hell was this? There wasn't one scene that was right. 

Uhm...well, as I have told to other negative nellies...you are forgetting CHICKEN! 10/10 The hound said chicken. UGH! don't you understand....

Really though, your comment is brilliant, wonderful and sadly accurate. I will do my best to try to clear up the mysteries for you.

so what is the brotherhood doing? Going North to help the Starks? Or kill white walkers with their bare hands they have no idea about? 

Yes, the three things that can kill white walkers are dragon glass, valyrian steel and the bare hands of people who have no idea that they exist. It is possible that they will, on their way to the wall, run by the hound who will have a big bag of chicken and an axe. They will then cross paths with Gendry who is rowing a platform which contains the knights of the vale as he brings them to winterfell. They can all jump on and hitch a ride. Once they deal with ramsey and his 20 good and shirtless men they can all head to Mereen where Dany will be left with exactly 999 ships which is one ship short of what they need so Gendry's row boat will seal the deal. They can then go to the north and destroy the white walkers, row down the kings road to KL which should take about 25 minutes where the hound will challenge the mountain to a chicken eating contest that will decide the fate of the iron throne. So, ya know, plenty of sensible ways this can go.

Tyrion telling jokes with Grey Worm and Missendei for the second time in one season for some five minutes? Seriously? We don't have enough plotlines to take care of? We don't have enough shit happening? We don't have a crap ton of characters who need to be killed off? We have all the time for wine tasting and unfunny jokes? 

Yes, the hottest girl on the series who happens to be in love with the dickless wonder who somehow stopped having a personality (remember when he had a who can look the dumbest contest with daario?) when Dany left followed the "my character arc changes if I have a single dink" trope that helped theon go from being a castrated ptsd basket case to prince theon, almost as bad ass as his sister.  The unfunny jokes were important because if they didn't tell those jokes Tyrion was going to tell them the history of cousin orson because he would be in positive danger of developing a character arc

Riverrun itself was an unfunny joke. I get that the Blackfish doesn't want to help Sansa. He never met her, he doesn't know what's up with her, what she is fighting at what odds. But why say she is just like her mother? How the fuck would you know that? How the fuck could anybody tell from a letter that Sansa is like her mother? And after the heartfelt observation, he still refuses to go. What was the point of that? 

It is possible Blackfish is confusing Cat with Lysa. As we know from season 1, lysa also writes letters. Cat is more of a "i'll just go in person" kinda person.

And what the fuck was that horrid long dialogue between Jaime and Edmure, it made no sense whatsoever. Jaime going on about Cersei and Catelyn and the things we do for love it was all pointless ramble. And then Edmure is having the gate opened to the Lannisters. Because he is a human potato like Tommen. 

The things I do for love! I know that one!

Brienne has to leave in a hurry, Blackfish not coming. I get that too he is fucking fed up with everybody, his nephew just sold their castle to the Lannisters. He wants to die fighting Lannisters. Fine. But then let me see the bloody man die fighting Lannisters! Seriously what the fuck is going on, did the show decide to go back to PG13 that people are dying off screen now?

All deaths will now be off screen as d&d reserve the right to bring any character back to life with no change or consequence at any time.

oh and podrick and Bronn were a complete waste of time. 

dick grabbing > asshole fingering tho

And back to Meereen. No. No. You have to be kidding me. Instead of finally leaving that wretched city for good, we have a major battle unfolding. Why? What masters are these? The Meereenese ones? How did they get out and acquire ships? The Masters of Astapor and Yunkaii?

Way to go grey worm. You were just snuck up on by an entire fucking armada. When did they get the matching sails made?

Why would those give a fuck about Meereen? What kind of fucked up fraternity would make the masters of different cities to willingly to war with Daenerys once more after they finally got rid of her? We will not get out of Meereen this season. 

I think the thing is there are going to be three armadas, all comprised of 1000 ships. ...after the big naval battle dany wins, somehow, and each navy is left with 333 ships. That is only 999 and she needs 1000. Enter gendry. ROW BOAT! He almost certainly has the knights of the vale, the hound, 2 dozen chickens, the bwb and they are all ready to go to winterfell where sansa will command the forces after she once again explains to Jon that getting doggy style on her wedding night was much worse than fleeing a coup of the nights watch north of the wall, fighting an army of the undead including the ice zombie king, repelling a 100k man attack on the wall with 20 men, being fucking killed and then brought back to life....but yeah...doggy on the wedding night.

And then Daenerys arrives and Drogon flies off. Facepalm. What the fuck does she intend to do now, stand on a balcony, recite her titles and tell everybody that slavery will never return to Meereen?

Also tits probably.

Why not burn the ships from above with Drogon? What the fuck is the point of having dragons if they are either flying off or rotting in catacombs? Negotiations and the peaceful way got her nowhere, why not try and burn the shit out of her enemies that's why she has bloody dragons! 

They went through all the trouble of getting matching sails.

KL... That's what you call violence? Tearing off the head of someone who attacked you and letting everybody else go? So PG13... No trial by combat, bitches, we will just sit around and have more talking, possibly done by Tommen so everybody falls asleep too.

Trial to be held by the galactic senate presided over by jar jar

Why are people not dying?! Kevan, Lancel, Pycelle, the High Sparrow, why is everybody still alive? Tommen, Cersei! These people all need to fucking die and soon. Characters should be dying like flies especially if they are coming back at this pace... 

IN the end everyone comes back. After dany wins the throne I have long predicted that they will go to the children of the forest moon of endor and dance around while the force ghosts of Robert, Ned and Jon Arryn (the later played by Hayden Chirstenseen) stand around and nod approvingly.

And Bravos... After all the guessing about the grand Arya twist, it turns out it was just crap writing. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Yes, people usually think too much into everything. But of all the ways the Arya plot could have gone down, this was by far the poorest choice.

Yes, but she finally escaped the faceless men. You know, the organization she travelled across the world for, begged to join, who fed her and housed her and trained her and gave her purpose and even helped her deal with the pain of everything she lost while repeatedly she fucked them over, screwed up their contracts, ignored their training points and constantly demanded promotions.....she totally escaped them.

Girl acts like a fucking idiot because fuck consistency and she is a stark anyways who are famously stupid as fuck. Gets stabbed in the gut multiple times. Is healed overnight by a friend who immediately dies for helping her.

Milk of Poppy + Plot inconsistencies + girl power = awesome sauce (officially replaced valar morghulis)

Makes narrow escape and find herself in a chase in a crowded city. She jumps off of tall buildings at every turn in spite of her stabbed wounds, falls down stone stairs to acquire even more injuries, runs until she finds a weapon last minute and then defeats her enemy bleeding from stabbed wounds and Aching from bruises. A girl's name is James fucking Bond and she is in the wrong fucking movie! And the Waif dies off screen because PG13 for life. And seeking out Lady Crane... Really? Really? 

It was disappointing from the first second to the very last. 

The show made me physically ill, but your comments made it a little better.

blackfish death off screen. Hounds pee pee on screen. Some very strange choices are being made.

And I know I said it already, but who the fuck is guarding mereen? No one saw an armada pull up? Were they using the stealth technology that gendry used when rowing the sand snakes to kings landing to kill the young martell?

Arya's FM storyline was a ridiculous waste of time and her blind training accomplished absolutely nothing. Did we really need all those scenes of the play? Or closeups of a random guy's penis? 

And the characterization of the FM was so inconsistent. Why does the waif, who is supposed to be no one, harbor so much anger for Arya? Why doesn't the waif know how to kill someone properly? How was Arya able to survive her wounds and beat the waif while injured? Why would killing the waif make Arya no one?

There are so many loose ends and plot holes. I mean who the hell wrote her storyline?

It just disappoints me that this is the way D&D have decided to wrap up Arya's Braavos plot. If they were going to throw in a bunch of pointless scenes and characters into the mix anyway they may as well have included Arya's ability to warg into cats and her night time wolf dreams. 

1 minute ago, YOVMO said:

blackfish death off screen. Hounds pee pee on screen. Some very strange choices are being made.

And I know I said it already, but who the fuck is guarding mereen? No one saw an armada pull up? Were they using the stealth technology that gendry used when rowing the sand snakes to kings landing to kill the young martell?

Musta been the same set of guys who were guarding Stannis camp last season.  

Just now, Cas Stark said:

Musta been the same set of guys who were guarding Stannis camp last season.  

lol. Yeah, I suppose that Stannis' look outs might have travelled to essos in shame and took jobs as Mereenese look outs. I think it is more likely that the dornish stealth ship technology which allowed the sandsnakes to kill trystane in kings landing despite just poisoning Marcella in dorne, was purchased by the masters.

Archived