Ran

This season has been a fast track to the end game.  LSH at this stage would be nothing but a speed bump.  The remaining two episodes would only introduce her to eliminate her character.  The remaining seasons are abbreviated so her appearance now would serve no purpose to the end

9 minutes ago, Prince of Dragonstone said:

I don't understand why so many of you guys continue to clamor for Lady Stoneheart to be on this show. Jon Snow was just brought back from the dead. If Lady Stoneheart comes that will make two miraculous resurrections in one season. Don't you guys think that's a little much? A little too ham-fisted? 

You mean three.  Don't forget Benjen Stark.

I am normally a big fan of the way the show is done. But I have to say this may have been the worst episode ever.  I mean it was garbage.  The Arya scenes were a huge disappointment, no FM magic and a completely unrealistic  gut stab heal. Tyrion and those jokes only for them to be attacked with no warning followed by Dany swooping in was just terrible.  The Mountains fight was a huge let down and we get told no trial by combat. The BwB situation makes zero sense either.  And the Blackfish, dies off screen? What was the point there?!? This season started out better than season one.  But I honestly cannot think of a worse episode. Where are the Sand Snakes? I need some good story telling...

This episode was the perfect illustration of how the show is coming off the tracks without GRRM's template.

The whole season is uneven, and they are hovering between the areas of the book where they explicitly know what happened, and kind of know from what the fanbase has figured out over the years.

Here we are a books worth of episodes past what is written on paper and we still have barely progressed the story. With the exception of Hodor(Which they were explicitly told about) everything that's happened(or been "confirmed") this season was already a mostly predicted outcome. We've had flashbacks, time-traveling(Riverrun, not Bran) and teleports en masse and we've yet to really move out of the Book Five comfort zone. 

Now they're saying there's only 14 episodes left, if that is the case, why did they botch so many storylines this year in the name of expediency? If there really are 14 episodes left, that means they are basically stalling until the very last set of episodes where they have a general idea of what the last character arcs will be, and it's so apparent.

I can't believe the entire season has been a build-up to the three conflicts that are the cliffhangers in A Dance with Dragons. The battle of Mereen, The battle of Winterfell, and Cersei vs. The Faith.

1 minute ago, Kingpin said:

I don't want to make a thread about it, so if someone can answer? 

What was Cercei talking about? Tyrion and what he's up to? And how is it related to what that moment was about. 

Are you sure it was in this thread?  If it's about the "rumor" that Qyburn spoke with her about, I think others have mentioned it might be a cahe of wildfire hidden in the city.  I don't think there's a definite answer though.

1 minute ago, Lord Martin said:

I am normally a big fan of the way the show is done. But I have to say this may have been the worst episode ever.  I mean it was garbage.  The Arya scenes were a huge disappointment, no FM magic and a completely unrealistic  gut stab heal. Tyrion and those jokes only for them to be attacked with no warning followed by Dany swooping in was just terrible.  The Mountains fight was a huge let down and we get told no trial by combat. The BwB situation makes zero sense either.  And the Blackfish, dies off screen? What was the point there?!? This season started out better than season one.  But I honestly cannot think of a worse episode. Where are the Sand Snakes? I need some good story telling...

Your opinion has no power in the internet, my friend.

1 minute ago, plectrum said:

Are you sure it was in this thread?  If it's about the "rumor" that Qyburn spoke with her about, I think others have mentioned it might be a cahe of wildfire hidden in the city.  I don't think there's a definite answer though.

I haven't found a thread about it so I thought I'd ask here. 

So nothing specific, ok. 

2 minutes ago, Fredwin said:

Here we are a books worth of episodes past what is written on paper and we still have barely progressed the story.

Eh, I love the books, but it's not like we're burning through plot lines there.  It took the better part of three books to get to the Red Wedding, which made a good chunk of the first two books a long winded dead end.

1 minute ago, Lord Martin said:

I have to agree, 100%. They spent two seasons building up Arya's faceless arc, for what? For Jaquen to basically smirk and say "Yeah, you are Arya, Hah!"? Varys' birds don't know the provincial capital is about to come under siege? Yeah, here we were led to believe that the mountain was about to go on a rampage, oh well. If the BwB knows about the white walkers, what are they still doing ditzing around in the Riverlands not helping? Not only did the Blackfish die offscreen but they made his character so proud and vain as to be a villain. He comes off as screwing Sansa's chances at getting reinforcements for no reason. Have fun in Lannister prison camps Tully relatives. 

This season has tapered off for me after "The Door."  I liked 6 well enough, but everything in 8 seemed anticlimactic.  Tonight was a row of C-level written scenes and dialogue.  I know 9 will cover both battles of Ice and Fire, but 10 has too much to cover even in 69 minutes.

Besides the usual locations, we have to revisit Sam, Euron, Hound, BWB, Brienne, Jaime, Arya, and Bran.  And Dorne.

Edited by Zombies That Were Promised

1 minute ago, plectrum said:

Eh, I love the books, but it's not like we're burning through plot lines there.  It took the better part of three books to get to the Red Wedding, which made a good chunk of the first two books a long winded dead end.

I judge the books and the show on their own merits, but it's painfully obvious to see that the writers are struggling when they don't have stronger work to keep them afloat.

It seems to me that it was made clear that Arya had NOT known or expected that the FM were going to try to assassinate her (in the last scene she says to Ja'qen "you sent her to kill me"), which makes it more believable that her guard was down. Yes, it's hard to believe that she could sustain stab wounds to the stomach like that with what was likely an unsanitary dagger, plus falling into the canal water, and survive without infection. I'll choose to believe that the Waif missed vital organs and that Lady Crane had a maester-level knowledge of first aid and stock of supplies as well. 

That said, did anyone else notice the similarity to the way Arya's last scene ended with her walking away from the organization that would require her to renounce her identity...and the way Jon also ended an episode walking away from an organization that also required him to renounce his identity??? And they are both headed back to Winterfell!!! I could not be more excited!

I'm also disappointed at the way Jaime's redemption arc has been majorly downplayed...but I don't believe it's over yet! Cersei is clearly planning to burn down KL with wildfire if she loses her trial, and it really looks like Jaime is being set up to make another terrible choice.

Varys is headed to Oldtown IMO, he will meet up with Sam and Gilly.

Daenerys looked PISSED!!! Tyrion's got some 'splaining to do!

5 minutes ago, Zombies That Were Promised said:

This season has tapered off for me after "The Door."  I liked 6 well enough, but everything in 8 seemed anticlimactic.  Tonight was a row of C-level written scenes and dialogue.  I know 9 will cover both battles of Ice and Fire, but 10 has too much to cover even in 69 minutes.

Besides the usual locations, we have to revisit Sam, Euron, Hound, BWB, Brienne, Jaime, Arya, and Bran.  And Dorne.

The way the season was paced, it seemed like after episodes 3-5 things were about to go gangbusters, full throttle into new territory. Then it relapsed. It's like you can literally see the line in the script where they stopped knowing what exactly to write.

11 minutes ago, Fredwin said:

This episode was the perfect illustration of how the show is coming off the tracks without GRRM's template.

The whole season is uneven, and they are hovering between the areas of the book where they explicitly know what happened, and kind of know from what the fanbase has figured out over the years.

Here we are a books worth of episodes past what is written on paper and we still have barely progressed the story. With the exception of Hodor(Which they were explicitly told about) everything that's happened(or been "confirmed") this season was already a mostly predicted outcome. We've had flashbacks, time-traveling(Riverrun, not Bran) and teleports en masse and we've yet to really move out of the Book Five comfort zone. 

Now they're saying there's only 14 episodes left, if that is the case, why did they botch so many storylines this year in the name of expediency? If there really are 14 episodes left, that means they are basically stalling until the very last set of episodes where they have a general idea of what the last character arcs will be, and it's so apparent.

I can't believe the entire season has been a build-up to the three conflicts that are the cliffhangers in A Dance with Dragons. The battle of Mereen, The battle of Winterfell, and Cersei vs. The Faith.

Those two statements are not congruent. Unless Winds is literally a book composed of those Cliffhangers and nothing else. Which it hopefully isn't, since GRRM basically said he was opening with two of the three.

So far we got an abbreviated version of the Riverlands plotline. Slightly more of KL, but not anything significant until actually very recently. Dany got a Dothraki army (which we all predicted) and the battle of Mereen is about to take place. A variation of the Greyjoy plot. Jon's ressurction and set up for the battle of Winterfell. Samwell isn't even in Oldtown. Bran just left the three eyed Raven.

Tough to say, but we might have only got the first third of Winds this season. Which might not be a bad thing. Gives them time to see what GRRM has for the last book that will be released before the series finishes.

8 minutes ago, ginny11 said:

It seems to me that it was made clear that Arya had NOT known or expected that the FM were going to try to assassinate her (in the last scene she says to Ja'qen "you sent her to kill me"), which makes it more believable that her guard was down.

Think about how the way that was written portrays Arya. Here she is devoting herself to a deathcult that specializes in assassinations. She is told by Jaquen in no uncertain terms that if she fails her task a face will be added to the wall no matter what. That is a specific threat against her person, by a deathcult, who are assassins... I just don't know what else to say.

I thought that Ayra was going to wait there the first time we seen her blow out the candle episodes ago. Instead she walked about for 2 episodes & got stabbed but she seemed to have needle there for a reason. Why walk around without your sword & hide it in a dark room unless it was to lure someone in & use your new blind skills. 

Maybe I think too much of her. 

I was feeling so unnecessarily romantic when Jaime was talking to Brienne. Never saw those expressions before. :wub:This is what I like as a love story; taking care of each other whenever come across rather than smooching and screwing all the time. (10/10 to Jaime and Brienne scenes)

I didn't like the way they killed Black Fish but I guess it would look weird if they show him escaping and then no storyline forward. They had to end his character in the show. Jon and Sansa already have an advisor in the form of Davos so no need of him in the North but this whole sequence ruined Jaime's honor one more time.

Podrick and Bronn scene was hilarious. I want to see more of it. Cersei also rocked the KL.

All in all the episode goes to Lannisters, except for Tyrion. They are making him lame which is not fair. He is wiser than any man in the GOT world.

I think we can still keep our hopes high for LSH. They don't need to kill Boric to bring back Cat. They might have killed some lesser known guy for that. Otherwise what is the purpose of bringing back BWB?

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Those two statements are not congruent. Unless Winds is literally a book composed of those Cliffhangers and nothing else. Which it hopefully isn't, since GRRM basically said he was opening with two of the three.

So far we got an abbreviated version of the Riverlands plotline. Slightly more of KL, but not anything significant until actually very recently. Dany got a Dothraki army (which we all predicted) and the battle of Mereen is about to take place. A variation of the Greyjoy plot. Jon's ressurction and set up for the battle of Winterfell. Samwell isn't even in Oldtown. Bran just left the three eyed Raven.

Tough to say, but we might have only got the first third of Winds this season. Which might not be a bad thing. Gives them time to see what GRRM has for the last book that will be released before the series finishes.

The point is that it's not congruent... The writing has been so subpar because they are afraid to leave the comfort of what is already written...