[Poll] How would you rate episode 608?

Ran

How would you rate episode 608?  

499 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Just now, kd18 said:

A lot of people seem to justify bad writing in the same way you do which is basically "It's a fantasy show so it doesn't have to make sense." Any good story, be it fantasy or not, has to be self-consistent. This doesn't mean that all the laws of our universe have to apply. This means that the fictional universe you create must have some laws of its own which are established relatively early in the story. If they are broken, then it's just bad storytelling. I have no problem with dragons, tree people, wargs and people who can change their faces because the existence of magic and magical creatures was established in the very beginning of the story. Even the revivals are self-consistent in the World of Ice and Fire. 

But when it comes to Arya, she's just a normal human being. She has no magical self-healing skills, therefore her jumping and running when she should be dead without any consistent explanation is simply bad writing and the fact that GoT is a fantasy show is completely irrelevant.  

I think the biggest difference is that I,and others, can just get past it and move on, and others look for items to cling to and hate on.

When you watch a new Superman movie do you find it perfectly credible that no one recognizes Clark Kent as Superman because of his glasses?

Do you think it was perfectly acceptable that Andy DuFrane carried out a short tunnels worth of material from his cell to the yard and no one ever noticed the different colored material on the ground?

Do we all accept it when the hero in a spy movie gets shot and lives but random bad guy gets shot and dies instantly?

Do we accept it when there are a thousand bullets flying at the hero and he is missed and yet he does a jump roll, comes up firing with a pistol and hits his target?

Some things you take note of while watching and shake your head, but then you make your choice. Is this that big of a deal or do I ignore it and watch the rest of what I consider to be a really good show?

WTF.  after u got stabbed and and ur body is sore and u only had one night rest and next day u run and jump as if u r rehearsing for rio olympics. seems arya got huge stamina power in her guts.

podrick and bronn scene was waste. they forgot there is a war situation and place is not for doing this.  are we really waiting every sunday 9 for this ??

greyworm , missendei and tyrion joke scene is again waste.  just for giving screentime for missendei and greyworm u cant put such a cheap writing and unnecessary scenes. this show budget is running in millions.

jamie talking about cersei again and his obsession for her pisses me off.  i would wanted to see him change and hating cersei same that happen in book when he was in riverrun.  poor writing for jamie. he is still in love with cersei. then why the fuck he is after brienne ??

total 7 out 10.

3 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

So much here. So much to be ashamed of. It is really summed up well in Sansa shaming Jon and telling him that he doesn't understand just how bad Ramsey is. Yes, by all means, tell your brother who has just returned from the dead after being killed by his own men after coming home from being north of the wall where he fought an army of undead and the king of the snow zombies that he has no idea how bad a guy like Ramsey is because he dicked you doggy style on your wedding night......NIghts King? fuck that. This guy liked rough sex.

Referencing what Sansa suffered as rough sex is stupid and short sighted. I am going to choose to think that you are just hoping for some attention. Will not reply to any answer or reply you have to this so don't waste your time trying to explain your comment.

3 hours ago, Darkstream said:

:lol: I had the same issue. Someone earlier suggested the word "santorum" to me. :ack: 

Uhm, Darkstream, I've noticed that both here and wrt asoiaf we tend to have a lot of intersecting points of agreement, but I think you are really getting down on this show. Easy 10/10. More like 20/10. I mean, did you hear the hound mention chicken? wtf do these geniuses need to do to impress you book readers? I mean...he said chicken.....CHICKEN MAN CHICKEN

4 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Referencing what Sansa suffered as rough sex is stupid and short sighted. I am going to choose to think that you are just hoping for some attention. Will not reply to any answer or reply you have to this so don't waste your time trying to explain your comment.

Compared to fighting the king of snow zombies I don't even think it can be considered all that rough.

One is almost tempted to vote Hugh just because of the doomsayers in this forum. Non-stop hate. Thanks for watching, supporting the show you seem to hate so much. You showed us!

7.5/10. Probably the weakest episodes this week. The best parts was the Hound, and the twist in kinds landing. I was really hoping for mountain having a huge fight, sucks that it won't happen

6 minutes ago, naik2902 said:

WTF.  after u got stabbed and and ur body is sore and u only had one night rest and next day u run and jump as if u r rehearsing for rio olympics. seems arya got huge stamina power in her guts.

Milk of poppy was mixed with essence of girl power. I mean, the faceless men have a potion that makes a person temporarily blind and they use it just to train one person. I have to assume there are all sorts of crazy potions out there.

Loved it and let me tell you why. Arya's story arc. I think the weakness of this season and all seasons is that D&D are following GRRM's system which involves POVs spun out over a long period. This is tricky in book form, but in TV land it can lead to what seems like useless or next to useless scenes. Watching Arya's story arc in Braavos seemed slow, time wasting, whatever, yet we see her time and again failing to learn. What is she failing to learn? Arya is filled with rage which spills out as impulsive acts of violence or impulsive decisions, such as going back and suddenly saving Lady Crane. She never thinks of consequences, never plans ahead. Everything is in the moment. Over the season we see her do this again and again. We see her reveal herself. This is who Arya is, but can she learn to control it? In the end of this episode finally the payoff. It looks like Arya is just running mindlessly for her life, but she is luring the waif into the place where she has hidden Needle. She couldn't have planned the candle, but either that was just D&D shortcutting which you are allowed to do in TV and not in books, or there really is a reason why the candle was burning. Anyway, Arya springs the trap and kills the waif by controlling the situation. Arya knew she learned to fight in darkness because the waif had trained her while she was blind. The waif lost because she didn't learn. She underestimated Arya.

This whole season has plots cooking on the stove. Cooking, unless you are doing a TV cooking show, is time consuming and this type of narrative makes it possible to watch plots evolve. The other plotlines will do so as well. It does, however, require a bit of patience.

1 minute ago, Rhollo said:

Leave poor Hugh out of this

Leave him voting hugh. I read and re-read his comment and can only assume that "voting hugh" is a way in which someone votes sarcastically elevated rankings (such as a 7.5) for such mindbogglingly bad writing that it is impossible to take a voting scale seriously at all.

This was the worst episode in the whole show so far IMO. Just horrendous. So much time wasted with dumb unfunny jokes. Arya was stabbed in the guts but was able to jump, run and fight like an elite athlete on the next day. Jaime was ready to just let The Blackfish army go to help another rebel. These endless minutes where Tyrion and the other two were telling extremely lame jokes for no reason. Pod and Bronn...talk about an utterly pointless scene. The Unsullied apparently could only defend one pyramid out of the whole city. The KL stuff continues to be idiotic.

Kitty gave this episode a 5/10 due to some illogicalities and for a selfish reason which somewhat ruined whole episode for her.

++Tyrion finally making Missandei drink and thus setting up for a hilarious scene in next Meereen-episode. The Mother probably isn't too happy about finding her children intoxicated when she finally comes home.
++Sandor's dialogues. The only dog Kitty likes.
+2 short scenes with real Jaime
+The scene between Larry and Edmure was quite interesting, especially lots of talk about Cat (foreshadowing LSH)
+Waif chasing Arya enjoying Arya's despair. The hunter and the prey-like scene in which hunter becomes the prey in the end.
+Waif's disguise. She looked like a rather handsome guy.

-----Beric Dondarrion still alive, greatly making LSH's appearance less likely
--Waif running through the streets of Braavos with dagger in her hand. It was supposed to be an assassination, not a public butchery. Was she desperately trying to pick fights with Bravos?
-Blackfish going for a lost fight instead of swimming away in the black of night.
-Dany's anti-climatic return
-Larry completely head over heels in love with Carol, ready to do anything to return to her asap.

36 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I think the biggest difference is that I,and others, can just get past it and move on, and others look for items to cling to and hate on.

When you watch a new Superman movie do you find it perfectly credible that no one recognizes Clark Kent as Superman because of his glasses?

Do you think it was perfectly acceptable that Andy DuFrane carried out a short tunnels worth of material from his cell to the yard and no one ever noticed the different colored material on the ground?

Do we all accept it when the hero in a spy movie gets shot and lives but random bad guy gets shot and dies instantly?

Do we accept it when there are a thousand bullets flying at the hero and he is missed and yet he does a jump roll, comes up firing with a pistol and hits his target?

Some things you take note of while watching and shake your head, but then you make your choice. Is this that big of a deal or do I ignore it and watch the rest of what I consider to be a really good show?

Oh, so I was correct in my reading of your first comment after all.

Leaving the books aside, this show went out of its way to tell a credible, realistic story in its first seasons. You name a lot of examples of typical TV tropes that this show tried to avoid back then (and which the books very carefully are trying to avoid). Moreover, the plotholes people have been pointing out are far, far worse that those you mention; many of them are plotholes most other HBO shows would be ashamed at and probably wouldn't get away with. This is not about our lack in willing suspension of disbelief.

You can enjoy the show, you can like it, you can love it. That's fair - I like other shows despite (or because) they are silly, but they work for me, although I'd never call them good shows, realising they aren't. But there are pretty clear criteria for good storytelling, and this show simply meets very, very few of them. Compared to most shows I've seen, this one tells its story with incredible incompetence. And being told that this is just because I'm comparing it to the books is pretty annoying and lazy.

10 minutes ago, Gargarax said:

Oh, so I was correct in my reading of your first comment after all.

Leaving the books aside, this show went out of its way to tell a credible, realistic story in its first seasons. You name a lot of examples of typical TV tropes that this show tried to avoid back then (and which the books very carefully are trying to avoid). Moreover, the plotholes people have been pointing out are far, far worse that those you mention; many of them are plotholes most other HBO shows would be ashamed at and probably wouldn't get away with. This is not about our lack in willing suspension of disbelief.

You can enjoy the show, you can like it, you can love it. That's fair - I like other shows despite (or because) they are silly, but they work for me, although I'd never call them good shows, realising they aren't. But there are pretty clear criteria for good storytelling, and this show simply meets very, very few of them. Compared to most shows I've seen, this one tells its story with incredible incompetence. And being told that this is just because I'm comparing it to the books is pretty annoying and lazy.

Thank you for saying this in such a clear and level headed way.

10 minutes ago, Gargarax said:

See, again I am not saying that. I have been stating over and over that a lot of people who dislike the show do so because the show doesn't fit what they want to happen based on their expectations and find any details they can to rant and rave.

If you can suspend belief for one show, or one trope, then why not another? The show is hugely popular and has a loyal following, so it may not be the story telling you and others are looking for, but apparently others are.

Plenty of mis steps in the show no doubt, anything Dorne related, too many brothel scenes, Arya stabbing and quick recovery, too many times where Dany makes a grandeur stance in front of or surfing on a crowd, etc..  But, in my mind, the great things out weigh the others and I am ok with that.

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

See, again I am not saying that. I have been stating over and over that a lot of people who dislike the show do so because the show doesn't fit what they want to happen based on their expectations and find any details they can to rant and rave.

If you can suspend belief for one show, or one trope, then why not another? The show is hugely popular and has a loyal following, so it may not be the story telling you and others are looking for, but apparently others are.

Plenty of mis steps in the show no doubt, anything Dorne related, too many brothel scenes, Arya stabbing and quick recovery, too many times where Dany makes a grandeur stance in front of or surfing on a crowd, etc..  But, in my mind, the great things out weigh the others and I am ok with that.

Can you stop ranting and raving about the people who rant and rave. I read the whole thread and there was no one but you.

2 minutes ago, dbunting said:

See this isn't the problem though. I am all for suspending disbelief. If I wanted realistic I would watch the news. Well, not the news, but ya know, real life. I love fantasy. The problem is not an ability to suspend disbelief. Nor is the problem the show not being faithful to the books. Anyone with a brain can see that that simply wouldn't be possible and, for the most part, probably wouldn't be interesting to anyone except super die hard fans. I have no problem with suspending disbelief and no problem with acknowledging two entirely separate universes. Further, misteps happen. As you mentioned...dorne, over use of brothels, dany speeches. But ok, these things happen too. They are more frustrating than the first two simply because this isn't some underground show, it is huge with a huge budget and big team and loads of people who see this script and then perform it, but ok, some misteps that are annoying....I can let that go too.

Here is where my absolute hared comes from. I won't speak for others who dislike this season (maybe for the same or maybe for different reasons) nor will I defend the people who have problems with the show that are shallow and that you point our and (correctly) call invalid.

The show simply does not follow an internal logical pattern.

Look at things like Jamie talking to Edmure. A good scene. RIght. But why is he there? By the shows own logic he should not be helping the frey's get riverrun back he should be avenging the princess/daughter/neice that was killed like yesterday.

Or the blackfish? Where was his motivation? What drives this character? What was the point of having him on the show? What did his death give us? It was nothing. It was like they threw him in there to see how he would play to an audience and when it was meh they gave him a meaningless off screen death.

What about arya? What drives her? in the first 5 seasons she slowly had everything she knew and loved stripped away from her and wound up at the doorstep of a death cult / assassin guild where they strip your identity...Arya's identity having become too much of a burden for her to bear? Only what? Fuck that lets just scrap 5 seasons of character arc and turn her in to lady stark, northern avenger? And J'quen? What is the story with the faceless men anyway? She fails out of assassin school. The assasins decide she will die. They fail in their first attempt to kill her and then high five her and send her on her way? It simply doesn't make sense.

Meanwhile, back in the north you have sansa complaining that ramsey likes to be kinky in bed to jon. jon who has been resurrected from the dead after being killed by his own men, after fighting a zombie army after fighting the Night's King? Yeah, sorry about the doggy style? And what of Sansa? Proper Lady + Hard Fucking = military strategist? The show wants to go that way? Also, while we are on Jon what does resurrection mean? Just a new hair do? If someone dies and is brought back from the dead there really needs to be some kind of overarching change. That is just how writing works. Otherwise he could have just been bonked on the head by Allister Thorne and the NW high command and come to his senses the next day and got a new hair cut. Ned has more character growth from breaking his leg in season one than Jon has from freaking dying and coming back to life, being resurrected by a priestess of a strange religion.

Meanwhile in Mereen, what was the point of Varys? 6 seasons of one of the most mysterious and interesting characters and the entire point of those 6 seasons was to do a laurel and hardy routine with Tyrion for a few episodes and then go off into the sunset? Meanwhile, Dany ex Machine? She quite literally dropped out of the sky. That is the definition of bad writing.

At the same time, back in Kings Landing, it seems like characters are just given personalities and motives without a story leading up to it. Tommen is a mammas boy. Quick talk with the High Sparrow and now he is baelor the blessed? Why?

It is nonsense like this, the addition of characters and arcs to make political points with feminists, the meme culture of having the hound be all about kickin' ass and eatin' chicken, the senselessness, the lack of logic the total uselessness of characters and multi season long stories, the inconsequential nature of things like death and rebirth and change and passion all in the favor of "lets throw in some more Tyrion drinking and the hound eating chickens, people seem to like that stuff" that makes this season not just bad but down right depressing. Bad because the writing is just awful and depressing because the heavy lifting of creating interesting characters has already been done in seasons 1-5. They have actively dismantled one of the most wonderful stories every put on television.

So yeah, back to the original point...it isn't a problem suspending disbelief in scenes like arya being stabbed and having it be no problem after sleeping it off...that's fine...whatever...a bit lazy but fine.....it isn't a problem with the shows not following book canon...that is expected, that is how it should be....it isn't even a problem with missteps like the whole dornish plot or stupid "kill the men in their stone tents" speeches by dany which is annoying but not fatal...the problem is that the authors seem to pay no mind to the fact that a story, any story, from an internet board post to Shakespeare himself, creates an encapsulated world with an internal logic which needs to be cohesive in order for the story to be good and have consistently taken excellent characters, excellent actors, a huge budget, a world wide audience and everything that a writer could possibly dream of having at his disposal and done, at best, nothing with it and, more often than not, really fucked it up.

1 hour ago, Langsax said:

stunned by the River Run silliness.  That Edmure would sell out his family, his friends, his heritage, over the welfare of a child he does not know, has not seen, and won't ever see.

I'm willing to bet most people here who have kids would have done the same thing.