[Poll] How would you rate episode 608?

Ran

How would you rate episode 608?  

499 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

7 minutes ago, lightningbolton said:

I don't need it, I guess you do you sexist.

What does this even mean?

You do realize that "You need the bad pussy" is a quote of d$d's dialogue?

Edited by Darkstream

45 minutes ago, lightningbolton said:

Why?

No logic in this episode, from beginning to end.  Why did The Hound cut through the four guys who he had no quarrel with before finding the attackers?  Did he learn nothing from Ray?  What was the point of Joke and Wine Hour with Tyrion as the city came under attack?  what was the dramatic point of having Dany wander in and....end scene?  Why take the easier road with Arya and not give us a more intriguing twist how she exited?  And KL.  Okay, Boy King has betrayed his mother.  and a minor militant was relieved of his head.

There was a lot not to like in this episode.

11 hours ago, Squall said:

5/10

Well I'm afraid D&D are totally butchering it, and I'm not talking about visual blood and gore. The lack of a concrete GRRM manuscript seems to incite their imagination and it's not very good. I want a coherent story, not something where I and my friends are laughing the whole time with unlikely plot twists.

The bad

Arya At least she's going home because I don't know what she actually learned in Braavos. She let herself be fooled in Essos. Entertainment Weekly has an elaborate explanation that she finally managed to kill the Waif but if she had really learned, that woman would've died episodes ago.

Riverrun There was no real reason to change the story from the books (at least that's one part D&D could've used the original story). Though it happens in the real world a hostage lord rarely commands his former troops to drop down their guard. The trailers were a red herring. We saw Frey troops marching in the night but they weren't doing any fighting, just moving into the castle. Blackfish seemed to leave Riverrun but he just dies a pointless death.

King's Landing Making Tommen a teenager makes it really hard to make his gullability believable. Perhaps he's just very naive but I don't get why Kevan is supporting the FM. What's in it for him? And there's another red herring: Cersei chooses violence and some nobody bites the dust. Cleganebowl is out for now.

Meereen We already had the failed joke scene, couldn't they delete it and put something else in it or just a short "good joke" "and good wine" and then show the slavers' ships attacking.

The good

Riverrun I liked the Brienne and Jaime interaction. I believe it will be the last time, they're going in opposite directions, but their talk is as close as they're getting with fucking (as Bronn suggests).

Meereen The battle for Meereen is finally happening so my hope is on next episode. Dany seems intent on mopping up this messy situation.

The Hound There's a nice exchange of thoughts with the BWB. But we already know that the Hound doesn't really belong anywhere, he'll always be an outsider and this confirms it again.

Conclusion

I'm pinning my hopes on the final episodes. But this seems to be a point of no return. The writing's bad and it'll be very hard to avoid "nitpicking" on plot holes. I don't expect visual spectacle with large battles but the story fails to engage me with all the suspensions of disbelief I just disconnect. I keep on watching, but for now I'm not really sitting on the edge of my seat for the next episode.

Just a couple of things, I was not a fan of the FM arc on the show, but I think it made one point. Arya learned to fight in the dark. It's not about beating the Waif, and how she over came her. She was always going to beat the waif. It's more than likely a tool for the long night. As Bran was told in the books, make the Darkness your armor. Well essentially that is what Arya did. I believe it ties to a future plot point. It also connects to Arya in the books hiding in the Darkness, which she does after Ned is killed. At it's essence in that moment Arya became the sword in the Darkness. So I had some appreciation for that symbolism. Not so much for the chase and on and off again wound.

In both books and show Riverrun ends without violence, and I agree I liked the Jaime Brie interactions, I do not agree this will be the last time. That said I would like to think there is more of a point to the Blackfish dying, and some are saying Lord Blackheart. Which is why the BwB is back. It was also pointed out the Beric wants the Hound to come with them North, and that Brie is in the Riverlands and also headed north. So we may get a Hound/Sansa reunion as well as Brie and Sansa reuniting and Brie Hound which should make for an interesting conversation.

You find gullible teenagers hard to believe? Tommen is soft and indecisive that is the nature of his character. He is easy to manipulate. I did not think anything interesting happened there other than the set up to the Wildfire bomb, but did not think it was bad.

Meereen. Oh dear lord it has been painful. Are they even writing dialogue for them or they just sitting in a room making stuff up. Oh and by way the way Missy, Greyworm and Tyrion, look around take the hint and bend the knee, Queen, not the Queen, that's how it works.

Varys and Tyrion I thought had a good scene. Just that joke scene was so bad. Dany gets no lines and that trio got that disaster of a scene?

It was a setup episode, again, and not a great one. But there do seem to be some hints of what direction they were going. I would remember Arya fighting in Darkness and look at that connection moving forward with her story. 

6 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

No logic in this episode, from beginning to end.  Why did The Hound cut through the four guys who he had no quarrel with before finding the attackers?  Did he learn nothing from Ray?  What was the point of Joke and Wine Hour with Tyrion as the city came under attack?  what was the dramatic point of having Dany wander in and....end scene?  Why take the easier road with Arya and not give us a more intriguing twist how she exited?  And KL.  Okay, Boy King has betrayed his mother.  and a minor militant was relieved of his head.

There was a lot not to like in this episode.That is more like it.

7 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

There was a lot not to like in this episode.

I liked the ending except for Arya not sticking needle in the Waif's heart.  I liked Dany showing up to save the day.  The Hound is the Hound.  He has a good heart but does not take any shit.  Would you rather have a wuss suck the bad guys dick off?  Come on. But thanks for explaining your reasons.

Enjoyed the episode, gave it a 7 - although some on here seem to think its unacceptable for people to have a positive opinion on something they didn't personally enjoy.

The Riverrun scenes were my favourite, Jaime really coming into his own now. Wouldn't surprise me if Brienne/Pod come across The Hound/BwB which will make for good viewing.

One thing that is bugging me is how Tyrion's character has been mauled by the writers to make him such a basic, poor character. The guy has killed two people close (ish) to him back at KL, now he's in Mereen casually walking round with no real character development. 

As a fan I really think he would have brought more to the KL storyline than if he were to be in Meereen - although hopefully this will soon change with the upcoming battle.

I gave the episode a 7. I enjoyed the episode, but not as much as I'd hoped for. The preview got me all hyped up, but most of that turned out to be 'meh'. 

What I did like: The mountain ripping out the sparrow skull. The KL scenes were nice for a change. Jaime talking to Edmure about the catapult and the baby. The scenes with the hound were also great as usual.

What I didn't like: I was extremely dissapointed with the death of the blackfish...hoped he would march his 'army' north. This was just pointless. The Tyrion joke scene was really cringeworthy...such a shame. And the Arya scenes were the most dissapointing for me...I really believed in those Arya theories...some kind of a twist...this was just bad writing.

Next week bastardbowl though, super excited! 

2 hours ago, Illiterati said:

I simply wanted him to have learned from his experience that there is a time for preaching and a time for killing.  The goofballs gave him no cause to kill them.

I think the point of show Sandor is that he's been searching for a way out from who he is, but that he can't change what he is inside. Mirroring Arya's storyline.

Another 7 / 10  (given most episodes this season 7 with ca couple of 8s).

A solid episode once more with some good scenes and a few niggles. Let's start with the good.
I liked the scene with Berric (didn't expect to see him again) and Thoros, happy that the BWB weren't all rotten.
The Hound was pretty good here too, I wonder if he'll join the BWB and assume the LSH role.
Bronn and Pod was funny.
Brienne and Jaime was pretty touching.
Jaime and Edmure was also a great scene.
King's Landing was fairly good this week, Tommen's ban on Trials by Combat was hilarious.
I did like the "A girl is Arya Stark and I'm going home." line.

What I wasn't so keen on.
Arya being stabbed thrice in the gut gets a little stitching from an actress and is good to go. I was expecting some king of FM magic potion or something.
Arya killing the Waif so easily was a bit convenient.
The Blackfish dying when he hardly did anything yet, so much wasted potential. Was hoping he'd have gone north to Sansa. The whole Brienne storyline seems a little wasted just now, maybe they'll go somewhere with it.

4 / 10

Only good part of this was the Hound/Brotherhood, the scene in Kings Landing with Tommen and some of Jamie/Brienne.

What is so poor about this was the death defying escape Arya went through. the writing was shockingly poor, if they're going to build up to her escaping at least make it believable not 'oh i've been stabbed 5 times then thrown down a flight of stairs but I can still kill a trained assassin and then casually pull a blade on the head of their order and go home' 

I've said it before and i'll say it again, Jamie's scene where he declares his undying love for Cersei are cringe inducing, yes in the show he doesn't know she's an adulterous, lying sociopath but I can stand it none the less, where is the redemption arc? at this point i'm expecting a Michael Bay inspired moment where Cersei is going to burn down Kings Landing and Jamie rides up at the end, stabs her, then cradles her whilst she's dying and finally declares his love for her in front of half the court.

Tyrion's scenes in Mereen are pitiful to the extent that i'm beginning to really dislike his character, this is amplified by the fact I already hate Dany's whole plot line. In spite of this her return was seriously lacklustre, instead of sweeping down on Drogon and burning a few ships she merely steps into her palace (this from a show where the writers seem to feed on flamboyance) 

Finally, the scene where we all expected the mountain to go completely mental was a huge let down, why show the entire scene in the trailer and leave nothing else? poor editing and poor storytelling.

This was the worst episode of all seasons in my opinion and still gets 6 out of 10, tells a bit how much I have enjoyed this show. Without the hound and Beric Dondarrion it would had got just 4 or 5 from me. Blackfish dies off-screen, Arya runs with serious wounds like Usain Bolt for 10 min. Jaime is still a dick, but seeing that Brotherhood without banners still have members with honor was a good thing. The worst thing was Tyrion comedy hour with Grey worm and Missandei. So unnecessary, they could instead have given 30 seconds to Blackfish. 

22 hours ago, dbunting said:

I think the biggest difference is that I,and others, can just get past it and move on, and others look for items to cling to and hate on.

When you watch a new Superman movie do you find it perfectly credible that no one recognizes Clark Kent as Superman because of his glasses?

Do you think it was perfectly acceptable that Andy DuFrane carried out a short tunnels worth of material from his cell to the yard and no one ever noticed the different colored material on the ground?

Do we all accept it when the hero in a spy movie gets shot and lives but random bad guy gets shot and dies instantly?

Do we accept it when there are a thousand bullets flying at the hero and he is missed and yet he does a jump roll, comes up firing with a pistol and hits his target?

Some things you take note of while watching and shake your head, but then you make your choice. Is this that big of a deal or do I ignore it and watch the rest of what I consider to be a really good show?

Do you really want to argue that bad writingg in other movies and TV shows justifies bad writing in GoT? If not why bring it up?

This show is full of plotholes and inconsistencies, it is very difficult to consider it as "good show" any more. Yes, it was good till they had the source material, and that why most of us is still watching. Also, this is a public forum created for the discussion of the show, including plotholes and such, so what is wrong with that?

People say, 'it was a set up episode' almost every week.

If the entire season, of a whopping 10 episodes, and 8/10 of these are set up episodes for the final two, which will always be a battle action/and then a wrap up, you're not watching a good show.  In my opinion.

30 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

People say, 'it was a set up episode' almost every week.

If the entire season, of a whopping 10 episodes, and 8/10 of these are set up episodes for the final two, which will always be a battle action/and then a wrap up, you're not watching a good show.  In my opinion.

Does the same apply to the books?

4/10

Not much to like about this episode. Weakest of the season thus far. Sandor and the BwB scene was good and him probably heading North is interesting. The Jaime-Brienne and Jaime-Edmure convos were decent enough right until Jaime declares his undying love for Cersei...again. KL was okay. The rest was quite boring, which might have still been okay had the writing been any good but the quality of the dialogue is on a downward spiral.

Was Arya killing the waif and leaving the FM supposed to be a fist pumping moment? All I felt was relief that the idiocy of Braavos is finally over. Unfortunately, there is plenty of idiocy in the other storylines with The North at the top of the list. I've often been quite lenient with my assessment of the show but the continuity errors, plot holes, horribly inconsistent characterisation and general decline in the quality of the storytelling is starting to mount up. There is only so much one can handwave before one starts to look like a fool.

I sincerely hope that D&D get their way and there are only 13 more episodes after this season. The sooner the show ends, the better. Hopefully 13 episodes packed with action scenes and the least amount of dialogue possible will be an improvement because the writing is simply not up to scratch.

Was this one of worst ever rated episodes  on the site?  It deserves it.  I think with Arya in Bravvos, they managed to do the impossible, which was make something worse quality than last season's Dorne.

Edited by Lothar

Reading through the posts here is odd. Every time I read someone saying the episode was more than 3/10 I have to re-read because I assume they are being sarcastic. I literally read one positive review like 4 times before I realized the poster actually liked it and wasn't joking.

This is how bad it is. I think scores of 2 or 3 are generous and 4 and above are totally sarcastic or tongue in cheek.

The hating on the Arya scenes I can kind of understand, even if I don't agree. I can even see the problems with the Tyrions scenes.

But I can't see how people could hate the Jamie scenes, nor the Hound scenes, or even the KL scenes, they were all pretty excellent actually, the Jamie ones were actually some of the highlights of this season for me.