(Spoilers)The Spider was the Harpy?

Lady Kitty Heartless

This ish an old theory, but it's suddenly become slightly more believable.

Varys left sailing to Westeros to prepare for Dany's invasion. But soon after his departure we saw seas around Meereen full of Volantene ships so it seems somewhat unlikely for Varys' ship to have passed thru.

A few episodes earlier we also had Varys claim that Volantis, Yunkai and Astapor were supporting the Sons of the Harpy but ambassadors of those cities denied having anything to do about them. So what if it was all part of Varys' plan to change the attention away from the real Harpy: him?

Qyburn also mentioned rumours but he didn't specify what those rumours were about. If those rumours were about another claimant to the throne having hired a major sellsword company, Varys would have motive to sabotage Dany's reign to keep her longer in Meereen or prevent her from going to Westeros at all to give the other claimant time to take over Westeros before Dany could.

1 hour ago, Bran Snow said:

There is no word on how much time pasted between Vary's leaving and the ships attacking. For all we know, it could have been a week. 

I think people are more concerned with the time pacing in respects to the show.

If Varys was clearly not going to be associated to this Slave Master attack, why not write his departure into last weeks episode?

The timing of his leaving in this episode would arouse more suspicion as it does seem like Varys had something to do with this attack. What ever transpired between the prostitute he bribed earlier this season?

I think the rumour Qyburn is on about is how much wildfire is under the Red Keep - htis said, I think it is possible that the Spider is the Harpy and is trying to get Dany back to Westeros by destroying Slavers Bay.

Why, then, would he trouble himself questioning and offering a bribe to the prostitute to determine who was behind the Harpy?  How could he have orchestrated leadership of the Harpy from far away, long before he ever reached Mereen?

I'm beginning not to expect complex intrigue from D&D, and this would be complex indeed.

I'm assuming this will be the battle of Merreen sans Barristan Selmy .....perhaps we'll see  the black squids roll on into the harbor and the other 2 dragons somehow get loose as well.....maybe Vary's will link up with the sandsnakes and cause more distraction ....and he still has to kill ser kevan

I think maybe the rumors Kyburn was talking about were the dragons....I could be wrong

1 hour ago, Zombies That Were Promised said:

Without Aegon in the show, I don't see any reason for Varys to do this.

2 hours ago, Bran Snow said:

There is no word on how much time pasted between Vary's leaving and the ships attacking. For all we know, it could have been a week. 

Agree with above. I thought Varys's sudden departure and failure in reporting the Slavers' secret moves as suspicious, to the point of wondering about a possibility of Aegon and Griff appearing in season 7, but I think it is too late for that. In fact, Varys leaving Meereen sometime before the attack avoids the issue of his spy-networks being ineffective. If Varys was present and a surprise attack happened, Tyrion would look at him and ask 'WTF is use of a spy-network if it can't inform of some 500 ships launching an attack'. With Varys gone, Meereen lacks a spymaster. Tyrion's deals have lulled them to a false sense of security and the slavers attack them, proving Grey Worm right.

1 minute ago, Lord Lannister said:

Then why would he go out of his way to bring Tyrion into her service?

Because he want's Tyrion on team Varys/Targ.

Most of the characters in this show state what they are about quite blatantly - it's just the narrative always makes them reap what they sow with a certain irony.

Marg says she wants to be The Queen - and that's what she is trying to achieve. LF says he want's to make chaos coz only the ladders in chaos are real - that's what he is about.

Varys says he want's what is best for the Realm (Westeros) and he believes this to be Dany - so Varys is all about getting Dany to the IT (even if he has to sacrifice Slaver's Bay to do so). Varys has never been afraid of sacrificing things to achieve his goal of stability in Westeros, he wanted Ned to sacrifice his honour, remember? Things is, Varys is trying so hard to bring stability to Westeros and is so sure that Dany is the woman for it, that it will all likely fail spectacularly to be in line with how the narrative works.

6 hours ago, Lady Kitty Heartless said:

Varys left sailing to Westeros to prepare for Dany's invasion. But soon after his departure we saw seas around Meereen full of Volantene ships so it seems somewhat unlikely for Varys' ship to have passed thru.

Remember, this is the show we're talking about

8 hours ago, Zombies That Were Promised said:

Without Aegon in the show, I don't see any reason for Varys to do this.

For the same reason? He killed the persons he killed in the books because they were a stabilizing factor. In the show he is preparing for Dany instead of Aegon.

11 hours ago, ummester said:

I think the rumour Qyburn is on about is how much wildfire is under the Red Keep 

This is what i thought when i watched it.

Varys isn't the harpy, he doesn't need to be. I'm looking forward to the release of the dragons. Fire attacks them and there's plenty of that going on at the moment.

After last nights show I was thinking that Dany can add 'Queen of good timing' to her list of titles ;)

He's going to Dorne. The Martells are a natural ally for the Targaryens after all that has transpired. Plus the whole girl power super group of Yara + Dany + Sand Snakes is something the writers probably think is BRILLIANT writing.

Archived