What use does Sansa have of him?

robasp2

Sansa needed an army, not one old man.

Well sure he has military expertise, but with 62 trained men and 2000 barbarians, is there anything they can do?

I wish the story was blackfish surrendering the castle and taking his army north

It hardly matters now, the writing is circling the drain counterclockwise around the toilet now.  Clockwise if you live in the Southern hemisphere.  They are beginning to screw up everything.  I am surprised Jon made it back.  

Would any forces have followed the Blackfish after the return of their Lord?

What will Edmure do now? Nothing? Just surrender the castle to the Freys and fetch their firewood? Does he & the Tullys have to leave? What is the normal drill when a castle is taken but the inhabitants not slaughtered?

31 minutes ago, Jon Snow Bengal said:

What will Edmure do now? Nothing? Just surrender the castle to the Freys and fetch their firewood? Does he & the Tullys have to leave? What is the normal drill when a castle is taken but the inhabitants not slaughtered?

Good point.

I suppose the idea was that tvBF just like bookBF could inspire loyalty to his men and was someone who was grealty loved and appreciated by all.

Unlike the books, where the castle did not fall to the Freys and was the last remnant of Robb Stark's kingdom, in the tv series we are meant to believe that BF following the RW, managed to gather troops, still loyal to his House and recapture Riverrun. If those men were willing to go against the winners of the war, then perhaps they were determined to follow BF to the North.

Robin Ryger in the books chose to take the black rather than serve the Freys. Perhaps the men in Riverrun are the show's version of Robin.

As for Edmure, I suppose that he will reunite with Roslin and go to CR.

Well, the Blackfish apparently managed to stay hidden from the Freys and retake Riverrun from them, not a small feat. He certainly had more to show for it than Brienne. 

And it makes no sense that he decided to stay and die like a loser instead of seizing the opportunity to a) assist Catelyn's daughter and b ) stick it to the Man by helping Sansa retake Winterfell.

And first he was like, "I don't know you, you big woman with a Lannister sword!", but then "I'm sure you'll help my niece's daughter far better than I could, woman I don't know."

5 hours ago, Danelle said:

Good point.

I suppose the idea was that tvBF just like bookBF could inspire loyalty to his men and was someone who was grealty loved and appreciated by all.

Unlike the books, where the castle did not fall to the Freys and was the last remnant of Robb Stark's kingdom, in the tv series we are meant to believe that BF following the RW, managed to gather troops, still loyal to his House and recapture Riverrun. If those men were willing to go against the winners of the war, then perhaps they were determined to follow BF to the North.

Robin Ryger in the books chose to take the black rather than serve the Freys. Perhaps the men in Riverrun are the show's version of Robin.

As for Edmure, I suppose that he will reunite with Roslin and go to CR.

Was it said what will happen to the Tully soldiers? I would expect them murdered.

As to the original OP. Sansa and Jon need all of the men and experienced commanders they can get.

On one hand, Jaime should be glad if the Tully forces followed Blackfish the hell out of Riverrun. Less trouble for him.

On the second... shouldn't the Lannisters be opposed to Sansa retaking Winterfell? It just looks like nobody cares anymore.

The Blackfish is a firm man who could inspire loyalty from the men around him. 

Don't forget - even though it was "only" the Freys, the Blackfish and his men still took back Riverrun.

Definitely would have been an asset for Sansa - not only more men, but a fierce man who could help counsel her and lead. Robb trusted the Blackfish's council, presumably for his personality and leadership. Sansa could have used that. 

Overall - not really sure what the hell the point of the entire Riverrun plot was. 

1 hour ago, Tianzi said:

On one hand, Jaime should be glad if the Tully forces followed Blackfish the hell out of Riverrun. Less trouble for him.

On the second... shouldn't the Lannisters be opposed to Sansa retaking Winterfell? It just looks like nobody cares anymore.

Jaime knows that Cersei and Tommen are in trouble in King's Landing, so presumably has larger fish to fry. 

Also, the actor who plays Jaime told IGN this week that the crown doesn't really believe what is happening in the North to be real. Same with Dany / dragons. More tales than truth. 

Sansa trying to take Winterfell back from the fierce Boltons? With an army of wildlings? Who have somehow come south of the wall? That would sound laughable to anyone who didnt actually know what was happening in the North. 

13 hours ago, Jon Snow Bengal said:

since Edmure was likely going to scoop up his wife and kid and head to casterly (as per Jaime's promise) I don't think he would have had need of his men. so its possible that they would have followed the black fish no problem. as to normal, Usually theyd either be made to swear fealty to the new lord of the castle (in this instance the frey group) or taken to prison, so id guess here...swear fealty to the freys or maybe lannisters, or go north to the wall...

7 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Well, the Blackfish apparently managed to stay hidden from the Freys and retake Riverrun from them, not a small feat. He certainly had more to show for it than Brienne. 

And it makes no sense that he decided to stay and die like a loser instead of seizing the opportunity to a) assist Catelyn's daughter and b ) stick it to the Man by helping Sansa retake Winterfell.

And first he was like, "I don't know you, you big woman with a Lannister sword!", but then "I'm sure you'll help my niece's daughter far better than I could, woman I don't know."

the blackfish's dialogue and decisions here didn't make any sense. his family's motto is "FAMILY, Duty, Honor" fer crying out loud. but yeah, lets abandon all that for a suicide esque death in battle...i don't think so

Archived