What is Varys's secret mission (SPOILERS)?

SchpaceLord

I dontr really care - I'm just glad that since he's presumably heading to KL this means that we will have one character there with a brain.

Id love to see Varys Marx verbally spar with the HS - it would be hilarious. You might at least get a semblance of a good dialogue out of it. I hope it happens in the party room.

I doubt it's anything interesting. The Birds apparently are just kids who want candy. I dunno if they'll murder for that, so who knows if Kevan will die the same way. 

Varys is such a "good guy" in the show I really don't think he is going to do any of the darker book stuff. Probably visit Dorne for some more cock and pussy and eunuch jokes which will win the "Sand Snakes" to Danys side. 

Going to Dorne wouldn't surprise me, actually. Despite all the stuff that kicked off there at the start of the season, it's been strangely absent recently. I think it'd be weird for the showrunners to leave it open, having the audience what the hell's happened there now. Makes sense to revisit it in one of the last two episodes.

I'm assuming Varys is heading to Westeros, literally to do what he said he would do - to find allies. 

I think this will coincide with his story line at the end of Dance, where he kills *spoiler* but instead of giving the line he gives in the books, he will proclaim it's because Dany is ready to conquer the west.

6 minutes ago, TheShadow said:

Going to Dorne wouldn't surprise me, actually. Despite all the stuff that kicked off there at the start of the season, it's been strangely absent recently. I think it'd be weird for the showrunners to leave it open, having the audience what the hell's happened there now. Makes sense to revisit it in one of the last two episodes.

Interesting. 

I've always thought Queen of Thornes would be the one that would bring Dorne back into the fold - she's always been one who believes in the power of women in prominent positions, and we know the Sand Snakes have that whole "strong women should rule" thing going on. 

Could be an interesting alliance. If the Sand Snakes are going to be brought back, I think it will have to be by handcuffing them to a really gripping character to make it somewhat interesting at least. Olenna would fit that. 

4 minutes ago, TickTak7 said:

I've always thought Queen of Thornes would be the one that would bring Dorne back into the fold - she's always been one who believes in the power of women in prominent positions, and we know the Sand Snakes have that whole "strong women should rule" thing going on. 

Could be an interesting alliance. If the Sand Snakes are going to be brought back, I think it will have to be by handcuffing them to a really gripping character to make it somewhat interesting at least. Olenna would fit that. 

Good point, although I'm not sure the Dornish would be overly keen on brokering a deal with a house who've been in an alliance (albeit an uneasy one) with the Lannisters for so long. After all, Olenna's granddaughter is married to a Lannister King.

I think the new establishment in Dorne would be far more likely to enter an alliance with someone who wanted invade Westeros and take the Iron Throne, destroying all before her (i.e. the Lannisters)

29 minutes ago, TheShadow said:

Good point, although I'm not sure the Dornish would be overly keen on brokering a deal with a house who've been in an alliance (albeit an uneasy one) with the Lannisters for so long. After all, Olenna's granddaughter is married to a Lannister King.

I think the new establishment in Dorne would be far more likely to enter an alliance with someone who wanted invade Westeros and take the Iron Throne, destroying all before her (i.e. the Lannisters)

Fair point. 

I wonder if the way Olenna gets them to behave, is by promising them what they've wanted from the beginning? A chance for revenge against those that killed Oberyn? Namely the mountain? 

On June 15, 2016 at 6:16 PM, Sigrid said:

I was wondering this as well.  The reason for his murder of Kevan and Pycelle doesn't exist in the story, so surely he is off to something else.  What that is I have no idea.

I can imagine Cersei kinslaying gold ol’ Uncle Kevan for his (completely justified) treatment of her, but what motivation would she have for offing Grandmaester Pycelle? 

Maybe it was because she caught him farting around telling Kevan that the Mountster previously known as Gregor Clegane was an abomination that needed to be be disposed of.

32 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

I can imagine Cersei kinslaying gold ol’ Uncle Kevan for his (completely justified) treatment of her, but what motivation would she have for offing Grandmaester Pycelle? 

Maybe it was because she caught him farting around telling Kevan that the Mountster previously known as Gregor Clegane was an abomination that needed to be be disposed of.

I can see that.  They've established her dislike of Pycelle since at least Joffrey's wedding.

I think he will be heading for Dorne and that Lady Olenna will be there as well.  The Redwyn fleet has not been touched upon in the series but Olenna is a Redwyn by birth and between the Redwyn fleet and whatever the Hightowers have they have a ton of ships, and the Reach and Dorne together means the southern part of Westeros belongs to Dany.

2 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I think he will be heading for Dorne and that Lady Olenna will be there as well.  The Redwyn fleet has not been touched upon in the series but Olenna is a Redwyn by birth and between the Redwyn fleet and whatever the Hightowers have they have a ton of ships, and the Reach and Dorne together means the southern part of Westeros belongs to Dany.

Except with the Tyrell's and Dorne both allied with Dany, it wouldn't be much of a fight would it?

It's kind of suspicios that he takes off right before the Slavers launch their attack and then he is clearly not liking the whole "Dany is the messiah of R'hollor" thing.

So think there is a chance, that Varys will betray Dany. Either he was spying on her all along or he came to the conclusion that she is not the one to support because her invading Westeros will not only ignite a war of conquest but also a religious conflict that might go on for decades.

And for all we know, Varys' motivation is to ultimately bring stability and peace to the seven kingdoms.

My bet is he eventually ends up in Winterfell, after the battle of the bastards. As to where he stops in between is anyone's guess.....Dorne, KL, The Reach, the Iron Islands, an argument can be made for each. I think a Vary's/Bran Scene would be amazing, and be the catalyst for the North and Dany to eventually become allies in the real war. D&D are probably already recycling the script for a Dany last minute arrival to save Jon's butt in the battle against the others.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived