What is Edmure doing?

TheGreenBell

1 hour ago, TheGreenBell said:

He clearly has a plan right? He wouldn't just yield after being held captive for a long time. It's either that or bad writing again. *ehem*Arya*ehem*

His plan is not to have his baby splattered against the walls of Riverrun.

13 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

His plan is not to have his baby splattered against the walls of Riverrun.

Although I can sympathise with the humanity in that plan - baby hitting wall and going splat is definitely the type of spectacle the show needed in this episode :D

6 minutes ago, ummester said:

Although I can sympathise with the humanity in that plan - baby hitting wall and going splat is definitely the type of spectacle the show needed in this episode :D

Yep. Then we cut to the Blackfish saying: "Mayhaps this isn't such a bad thing. Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey"

7 minutes ago, Lost Time said:

Yep. Then we cut to the Blackfish saying: "Mayhaps this isn't such a bad thing. Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey"

And Bronn saying to Jamie, 'I'll give you this, you have a way with children.'

Imagine the memes though, 'child care, Westeros style'.

I swear, we should be writing this show now :D

4 minutes ago, Lost Time said:

I think Edmure's bitterness towards the BF played into it as well. He exchanged his own imprisonment or the BFs.

If the drawbridge went down, Jaime and Ed knew he had command of the Tully forces over the BF, game over goodbye BF

2 hours ago, TheGreenBell said:

He clearly has a plan right? He wouldn't just yield after being held captive for a long time. It's either that or bad writing again. *ehem*Arya*ehem*

It's straight out of the books. Only difference (but that has nothing to do with Edmure) is that the Blackfish escapes.

1 hour ago, ummester said:

lol welp. well yeah, but can't just have them take over Riverrum again lol he must do something. I might have phrased the title incorrectly

3 hours ago, TheGreenBell said:

He is doing basically the same stuff we've already seen in the books. The only difference is that Blackfish had escaped there instead of dying.

19 minutes ago, TheSmallOther said:

He is doing basically the same stuff we've already seen in the books. The only difference is that Blackfish had escaped there instead of dying.

And difference is that Edmure likely helped Brynden to escape instead of trying to imprison him.

17 minutes ago, dariopatke said:

And difference is that Edmure likely helped Brynden to escape instead of trying to imprison him.

This. Why change that? I can empatize with Edmure with trying to save his child, but not helping Blackfish... It is more or less the same from the books but why not keep something that didn't have to be changed? It's one last in your face to Lannisters. Maybe he is a prisoner and has to play by other people rules, but letting his uncle go is one last ounce of resistance he could give them. Anyways I like bookEdmure better, so show is a show, and books are books:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, lordalton said:

Edmure is securing his place as one of the few good people in Westeros.  No he isn't going to choose to let Jamie murder his child over honor and a stupid pile of rocks in a river.

in a world where 6/10 children before the age of five "a pile of rocks in a river" is worth far more than any child. 

Edmure would have been right to surrender the castle a year before now. By that time it was pointless to keep up resistance and have all his people dead for a little piece of glory (even that desputable). But now this decision is entirely wrong. The Lannisters are weakened and if RR could realy stand a siege for two years that would be well enough time to outlive the Lannisters. But poor Edmund in is dungeon was not kept up to date I guess. Beside the fact he was an underachiever all his live.

12 minutes ago, Special Snowflake said:

This. Why change that? I can empatize with Edmure with trying to save his child, but not helping Blackfish... It is more or less the same from the books but why not keep something that didn't have to be changed? It's one last in your face to Lannisters. Maybe he is a prisoner and has to play by other people rules, but letting his uncle go is one last ounce of resistance he could give them. Anyways I like bookEdmure better, so show is a show, and books are books:rolleyes:

I think it's David & Dan's love for nuance striking again. Instead of shades of gray, conflicting rations and tragic situation, it's way easier to just make Edmure a bitch. The line "Find the Blackfish, put him in irons and hand him over to the Freys" pretty much ruins him.

3 hours ago, tmug said:

I think Edmure's bitterness towards the BF played into it as well. He exchanged his own imprisonment or the BFs.

Indeed, they just brought down Edmure and Blackfish's relationship to a pissing contest.

lol I overestimated the writers when it came to Arya and the Waif. I had better plot in mind. So I will now just assume what Edmure is doing is just bad writing. 

I want to apply for a writer's position on the show -_-

43 minutes ago, Tianzi said:

Indeed, they just brought down Edmure and Blackfish's relationship to a pissing contest.

And the Blackfish told the Freys to slit his nephew's throat...for a pile of rocks in a river and the argument he had with the Tully commander about letting Edmure in. And you clearly see the resentment on Edmure's face when he came in and saw his uncle. And I'm sure handing over the Blackfish was part of the terms Jaime and the Freys laid down and not necessarily Edmure's idea.

Archived