What is Edmure doing?

TheGreenBell

13 minutes ago, Biffins said:

Blackfish was a complete moron. He could have left the castle with all the Tully men alive and with their arms and would have been granted safe passage North. Instead he decides it's better they all die in the castle with him, men who aren't even sworn to him. BF had it coming and glad he died. 

Sure - IF you believe that the Freys and the Lannisters will keep their word. You know, like Robb did.

16 hours ago, Special Snowflake said:

This. Why change that? I can empatize with Edmure with trying to save his child, but not helping Blackfish... It is more or less the same from the books but why not keep something that didn't have to be changed? It's one last in your face to Lannisters. Maybe he is a prisoner and has to play by other people rules, but letting his uncle go is one last ounce of resistance he could give them. Anyways I like bookEdmure better, so show is a show, and books are books:rolleyes:

Just my own guess. But maybe the Blackfish didn't escape because in the books he swam away and if we saw an old A man jump into a river trying to swim while wearing a full suit of scale-mail we probably would've rightly assumed him dead a few feet down river...

16 hours ago, Tianzi said:

Indeed, they just brought down Edmure and Blackfish's relationship to a pissing contest.

If it's a pissing contest they want, the Hound wins pissing in their river

12 hours ago, Soccer69 said:

The fact that he did this to save his "kid and wife," is annoying. He hasn't met his kid. His kid will be a pawn used by the Frey's to control him or the Lannisters to manipulate him. He acts like he'll be able to actually be with his wife anytime soon. His betrayal of the BF goes to a new level and in my opinion is almost like kin slaying since he knew his uncle wouldn't surrender but he did it anyway (but then again kin slaying is all the rage lately). He didn't even bother speaking to the BF when he entered the castle. Then the Bf dies off screen in the most anti-climatic way possible. Such a frustrating situation.

THIS. I could not for the life of me understand why Edmure cared about some baby, he's never seen, birthed by some woman he spent one night with who also happens to be the daughter of the man that imprisoned him. I am holding out hope that Jamie had to give him some other ultimatum or maybe a "deal" to get him to turn over Riverrun. Simply threatening to kill a kid he has ZERO connection with is an odd reason to turn over your ancestral home to the same people that imprisoned you and killed your sister. 

So much wrong with this entire scenario.

First, Edmure giving up Riverrun to save a son he's never seen is foolish. Jaime doesn't even have the kid, what's he gonna do? Request that Walder Frey hand over his grandson, a grandson who is the Heir of Riverrun by the way, just so Jaime can fling him against a wall? Talk about wasting an asset, it makes no sense.

Second, the Blackfish and Edmure don't even speak? Blackfish is supposed to be a top strategic mind, hard to believe they wouldn't spend 5 minutes in a room discussing options.

And lastly, what was the point of the whole skirmish anyway? Nothing happened, nothing changed in the end, the story wasn't advanced one iota and most likely 99% of the folks involved will never be seen again. Aside from a possible revenge slaughter, the Freys won't be seen in the story again, they'll just hide in Riverrun & The Twins.. they're done. The Tully men? Just a bunch of unarmed men wandering the Riverlands. If they at least were earmarked for Winterfell we'd have something, but nope, nothing, no leader, no direction, gone from the story. So we have Brienne headed back to where she started (by Sansa's side) with nothing to show for it. And we have Jaime headed back to where he started (by Cersei's side) with nothing to show for it.

Completely pointless and a total waste of time

is it possible that edmure and jaime had another deal and why didn't they show us blackfish's last fight? can it be theater to fool the freys? maybe jaime told edmure, what brienne told blackfish, about sansa and family. and edmure agreed to surrender the castle and jaime agreed to let edmure and the tully army march north.

1 hour ago, Rory Snow said:

First, Edmure giving up Riverrun to save a son he's never seen is foolish. Jaime doesn't even have the kid, what's he gonna do? Request that Walder Frey hand over his grandson, a grandson who is the Heir of Riverrun by the way, just so Jaime can fling him against a wall? Talk about wasting an asset, it makes no sense.

The society Edmure was raised in places so much importance on birthrights and carrying on the family name by having a son, I don't know if it matters that Edmure hasn't met him. (But it would help if he knew he was real... it seems to me this 'son' could be COMPLETELY made up.) 

Anyway, while his son would be the Tully heir, that really doesn't mean that much. The Frey's own RR by royal decree (I forget which Frey, but the heir to RR is that Frey's son, not Edmure's)... the only thing the Tully heir can do is grow up and eventually try to take back his grandad's castle. So most Frey's probably wouldn't be that mad to see that kid dead. 

7 minutes ago, helter skelter said:

is it possible that edmure and jaime had another deal and why didn't they show us blackfish's last fight? can it be theater to fool the freys? maybe jaime told edmure, what brienne told blackfish, about sansa and family. and edmure agreed to surrender the castle and jaime agreed to let edmure and the tully army march north.

That'd be great, but I don't have high hopes. 

On June 12, 2016 at 10:15 PM, TheGreenBell said:

He clearly has a plan right? He wouldn't just yield after being held captive for a long time. It's either that or bad writing again. *ehem*Arya*ehem*

On June 12, 2016 at 11:41 PM, Lord Lannister said:

His plan is not to have his baby splattered against the walls of Riverrun.

And staying alive.

So, Edmure exchanges his life as a Frey/Lannister captive outside RR for life as a Frey/Lannister captive inside RR? In the deal, he gives up his ancestral homeland in exchange for not killing a baby born of his marriage to a Frey?  I say, let the babe die; Edmure can presumably father more Tullys.  

Remember that 'perfect strategic mind' Blackfish advocated Edmure-Frey marriage.Then strangely escaped the murder of the king he was the advisor. Then after having won an army (god knows how) prefered to reconquer Riverrun than to try to free Frey prisoners. Then invited the Frey to hang Edmure. Refused Sansa call for help (actually a call from his king Robb's heir, as he probably believes Bran and Rickon dead). The only goal of this suspect character looks to have been stealing Riverrun to his nephew and liege lord (while getting himself and the last Tully/KoN loyalists killed).

20 hours ago, Maid So Fair said:

Sure - IF you believe that the Freys and the Lannisters will keep their word. You know, like Robb did.

The Blackfish wanted to murder every man, woman, and child in Riverrun as a form of mass suicide. Edmure surrendered and saved their lives. They should have put the Blackfish in a trebuchet and sent him against the wall. Edmure won't go down as one of the great lords of Westeros but he made the right call.

13 hours ago, helter skelter said:

After what you've seen do you really believe that the showrunners would conjure up something like that?

35 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

The Blackfish wanted to murder every man, woman, and child in Riverrun as a form of mass suicide. Edmure surrendered and saved their lives. They should have put the Blackfish in a trebuchet and sent him against the wall. Edmure won't go down as one of the great lords of Westeros but he made the right call.

Considering the castle was recently recaptured I very much doubt there are women and children in RR. If the Tully men are still alive it's due to lure dumb luck and nothing else - Edmure had no guarantee they would   spared. And a lot can happen in the two years that neither the Freys or Lannisters have - the Faith is in the process oftaking KL by a storm, Dorne is in an open rebellion, Lannister-Tyrell  relations are frostier ywn ever and the Starks are reclaiming the North.

Blackfish, who was t the RW and knows of Jaime's oath to Cat has every reason to distrust the Freys and Lannisters.

15 hours ago, Rory Snow said:

So much wrong with this entire scenario.

Second, the Blackfish and Edmure don't even speak? Blackfish is supposed to be a top strategic mind, hard to believe they wouldn't spend 5 minutes in a room discussing options.

And lastly, what was the point of the whole skirmish anyway? Nothing happened, nothing changed in the end, the story wasn't advanced one iota and most likely 99% of the folks involved will never be seen again. Aside from a possible revenge slaughter, the Freys won't be seen in the story again, they'll just hide in Riverrun & The Twins.. they're done. The Tully men? Just a bunch of unarmed men wandering the Riverlands. If they at least were earmarked for Winterfell we'd have something, but nope, nothing, no leader, no direction, gone from the story. So we have Brienne headed back to where she started (by Sansa's side) with nothing to show for it. And we have Jaime headed back to where he started (by Cersei's side) with nothing to show for it.

Completely pointless and a total waste of time

1) It wasn't about his son. It was about going to live in peace with a family, and not have to fight and be tortured. I would have thought that was obvious. 

2) Of course Edmure isn't going to discuss plans with Blackfish, he doesn't want to fight. he wants to give up and go live an easy life.

3) The story is a jamie story mainly. It advanced his character.

2 hours ago, Ser Goosey said:

So, Edmure exchanges his life as a Frey/Lannister captive outside RR for life as a Frey/Lannister captive inside RR? In the deal, he gives up his ancestral homeland in exchange for not killing a baby born of his marriage to a Frey?  I say, let the babe die; Edmure can presumably father more Tullys.  

What is it with people misinterpreting everything in this show.

Edmure has never been a complex character on this show. 

In fact, the scene with Jaime in the tent is probably the most meaty scene he's had on this show. 

For that reason, I think the simplest explanation works here: 

Edmure gave Rivverun to the Lannisters because he wanted to save his son (ignoring the fact that he's never met him...), and the Blackfish is definitely dead (even though we didn't see it). 

Don't thnk there's anything sinister, crazy, or manipulative going on here. Put the theories to bed. 

3 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

1) It wasn't about his son. It was about going to live in peace with a family, and not have to fight and be tortured. I would have thought that was obvious. 

2) Of course Edmure isn't going to discuss plans with Blackfish, he doesn't want to fight. he wants to give up and go live an easy life.

3) The story is a jamie story mainly. It advanced his character.

1, Obvious and cowardly. He has no guarantee their promises are true.

2, IDK if I was Edmure I might want to at least have a bath and something decent to eat first - who knows when I'll have the chance next? 

3, Wait, what? How did Jaime advance his character? If anything, he's regressed to his season 1 character -War for Cersei's cunt is upon us.

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

What is it with people misinterpreting everything in this show.

Well, okay.  What happens to Edmure now? Can Edmure now live peaceful life with his wife (and purported kid)? 

Archived