"More, much more"

The Yung Wulf

At first I thought it could be something Cersei could use in the trial (digging up stuff about the High Sparrow, for instance - it's not like the real-world Catholic church doesn't provide plenty of inspiration), but I agree that wildfire could be more plausible.

My only objection is that it still feels a little too early to burn down King's Landing. I'd have expected the city to fall to at least one conqueror, for somebody else to sit the Iron Throne for a short while, before it all goes to ash. Cersei has been in power since the end of season 1, and the whole struggle for the throne is the entire premise of the show. You'd think they could get a little dynasty change or two before ending the possibility of someone getting the throne ever again.

4 hours ago, The Yung Wulf said:

Cersei: "Was it just a rumor, or something more"

Qyburn: "Something more, much more"

Qyburn has the creepiest ways of ending scenes. Does anyone have any idea what they are talking about?

It's the wildfire. My guess is it is not the wildfire below the Red Keep. Cersai is far to selfish to kill herself and her beloved son. My guess is that they found a stack of Wildfire under the sept. They would ignite that and accedentely burn the whole city or major parts of it. Probably because they don't understand the wildfire stacks throughout the city are linked. Of course Tommen would die in the fire and Cersai would flee to her beloved (younger...) brother, who would strangle her. But not until season 7 or 8. A tv-show needs its cliffhangers.

As everyone else said, it's the Wildfire.  Brans vision of the place exploding was our first clue, and the 2nd clue was during the season 6 trailer of Cersei standing in the red keep with the roof burned down.

Combine that with everything we know from the Reddit Spoilers...

Spoiler

Tons of people die in the final episode.  Tommen jumps out of the Keep to escape the fire.  Margarey and the High Sparrow die when Cersei unleashes the wildfire during the trail of the faith, etc.

One wildfire cache was found and used by Tyrion as well as others the alchemists made in the battle of Blackwater, but the one under the Sept wasn't found. There are also a lot of other caches, one at each gate and others even in Flea Bottom. There are caches throughout the city. Tyrion found very little of it.

I am sure the thing Qyburn found is the cache in the Great Sept.  There were a lot of reminders in COKs and the show has given us clues this year.

My initial thaught was that they were talking about Tyrion being alive and in Mereen (and "much more" meant him being in a position of power), because the very next scene was a closeup shot of Tyrion and that seemed like the kind of "subtle hint" they would do.

1 minute ago, Rhollo said:

My initial thaught was that they were talking about Tyrion being alive and in Mereen (and "much more" meant him being in a position of power), because the very next scene was a closeup shot of Tyrion and that seemed like the kind of "subtle hint" they would do.

^ good point

One wildfire cache was found and used by Tyrion as well as others the alchemists made in the battle of Blackwater, but the one under the Sept wasn't found. There are also a lot of other caches, one at each gate and others even in Flea Bottom. There are caches throughout the city. Tyrion found very little of it.

There's no evidence Tyrion found any of it. Tyrion coopted the wildfire cache that Cersei commanded be made. There was no mention of finding wildfire from decades previous.

All the people who knew all about the mad Kings cache's are dead, slain by Jamie. They should all still be collecting dust where they were placed.

42 minutes ago, Rhollo said:

Possible, but how that could help her now?

I'm going with the wildfire.

Burn it all. Burn it all...

2 hours ago, WinterCloak said:

'Old rumour'. Wildfire under the Sept of Baelor is what I have my money on.

Jaime alludes to it in the bath scene with Brienne at Harrenhal back in season 3. He talked about caches in the Red Keep and the Sept of Baelor. So yeah, I think Qyburn was referring to wildfire.

2 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

I don't think wildfire fits that statement very well. She knew there was wildfire, she had it made herself. She had no reason to think it was a rumor. 

I think the wildfire that Cersei was responsible for is what Tyrion used at the Battle of the Blackwater. The rumor was about the wildfire that the Mad King had planted in various parts of the city which could theoretically destroy the Red Keep and possibly all of KL. Presumably since it hadn't been removed after his death no one seemed to really know where it was or if it was actually there, and the exchange in this episode confirms that it's around. Presumably. 

She knew about the rumours of the Mad King's wildfire caches, and Qyburn finds the rumours to be true, so...

I think Jamie will arrive in KL right in time,and probably will have to make the same decision he made years back: let the whole city burn, or kill the Mad King. In this case, the Mad Queen.

1 hour ago, Rhollo said:

That's a good point that I hadn't considered.

I will still believe it is wildfire though. Jaime made a clear point in his speech to Edmure about Catelyn and Cersei. That they would both do anything for their children, "even burn cities to ashes"...

Combine that with the "burn them all" flashback, Dany's vision from the House of the Undying(burned out throne room) and Qyburn's comments and I see KL bon fire happening soon.

Archived