[spoilers] What You Liked/The Positivity Thread

Aniel

In the interests of being balanced (as there is the Criticise without repercussion already) and to give a platform to those who don't wish to discuss the episode but wish to give praise where praise is due. This thread is not intended as a place to discuss the episode, as there will be plenty of other threads available for that  

Please respect the intent of this thread. That includes not delivering backhanded criticism (e.g. "The end credits")

1 minute ago, khal drogon said:

Worst episode of the whole series.

The only thing I liked is the shot of Meereen under attack. 

Ahem.

13 minutes ago, Aniel said:

In the interests of being balanced (as there is the Criticise without repercussion already) and to give a platform to those who don't wish to discuss the episode but wish to give praise where praise is due. This thread is not intended as a place to discuss the episode, as there will be plenty of other threads available for that  

Please respect the intent of this thread. That includes not delivering backhanded criticism (e.g. "The end credits")

This is the thread you're looking for:

;)

Anyway, here's what I liked:

1. Lady Crane. Poor, poor Lady Crane...
  2. Jaime and Brienne's scenes. I find a hint of Jaime as he is in the books in the scenes they shared.
  3. More book dialogue from Jaime!
  4. Tommen screwing Cersei. That was unexpected! I thought he was going to do something else like surrendering the defence of the city to the Sparrows or something...
  5. Something, something rumours (I can't remember the lines...)
  6. "A girl is Arya Stark of Winterfell, and I'm going home." Arya using her experiences from when she was blind to defeat the Waif.
  7. Everyone in Meereen having a slightly better time than before, and then the bells start ringing...
  8. Dany coming in and just looking like she wants to say "What the fuck did you do to my city?"
  9. Seeing Pod and Bronn together was nice.
  10. Finding out that Lem and the others were traitors, and that the Brotherhood is still made up of rather nice guys.
  11. "Cold winds are rising in the north." Looks like we've got another reunion coming up...

I liked the hound and the BwB, Arya's scenes, the twist of Tommen, Brienne with the blackfish

If some people just remove their tinfoil hats for one minute and look to the episode, they will see that everything is realistic and make sense, Arya's fans are complaining about why their theories made this week aren't in a show made a half year ago

The Hound and finding out Lem was a traitor and the Brotherhood is still around.

Jamie and Edmure - the dialogue wasn't perfect but both of them had the acting chops to carry the scene.

Tommen was good also, he's finally making his own decisions (whether you agree with them or not) and his characterisation makes sense. Tywin said he needed strong advisers and instead he got a mother and manipulative Queen bitching with him in the middle - I get him turning to the Sparrow and faith as a form of guidance.

Finally the waif is dead. I actually liked the Arya sequences. People complaining about it fell in love with their fanfic, so they couldn't appreciate what we got. The setup this season finally paid off. We got to see Ayra learning to fight blind. She knew that she couldn't beat the waif  straight up, but had learned to fight blind. Suddenly the waif is out of her element and Arya has the advantage. The whole point of Ayra's time in Braavos is explained. When she arrived she had no restraint. Rage was her center and violence was its outlet. She has become a calculating person. She has grown up. The sojourn in Braavos paid off.

I think because we get a tiny segment one week and another the next week on and on for weeks it is hard to put the whole storyline together, especially since we are getting story arcs from so many other characters. At least I figured this one out.

The little bit where Jaime gives the sword to Brienne and later when they waive goodbye was nice. The scenery has been wonderful - money well spent.

(slightly off-topic, but I don't think everyone complaining about the Arya scenes were doing so because they fell in love with their fan-fic. Talk about what you liked about Arya's story, but I don't think it's fair to bash others in a positivity thread)

I actually enjoyed a lot in this ep! (To be fair I generally think this season has been great so this is not that surprising).

The Hound takes the cake for me. He's always been one of my favorite characters because his characterization is just so dang interesting and there is never any scene that is anything like a Hound scene. This episode did not disappoint in that regard and I was glad to see the BwB hasn't gone evil and that they're presumably heading north to fight the imminent WW invasion. I was also kind of entertained by how last week might have been a set-up for Lady Stoneheart this week but Lem ended up being a red herring, as it were. Whether that was purposeful or not I like that D&D seem to be sometimes delivering what the fans expect and then sometimes just absolutely going a different direction. It makes it more fun to watch, IMHO.

I enjoyed Arya this episode though I have to admit that finding out all the crazy fan theories about what was going on with Arya last episode were all incorrect was a little bit of a letdown because what happened in ep 07 was very un-Arya like? However the scenes with Crane were sweet and I loved Arya's bit about discovering what's at the edge of the world. Very glad she's going home first, and hope we haven't seen the last of Jaqen because I love him and just have a feeling the Faceless Men are going to be important to the endgame. But maybe they aren't and that was just essentially a tour into Braavos and an exploration of a different part of the world's culture for a few seasons while Arya got some extra training.

I loved the fun Bronn and Pod had and I thought the Jaime/Brienne scene was poignant. Edmure was actually interesting in this ep for a brief bit, too. Admittedly I'd have loved to see Blackfish's final fight though, at the very least. 

KL is getting interesting. The actor who plays Tommen killed that scene, I think, with his nervous hand tick and the look of pure agony on his face when he was leaving the throne room. You can see him coming apart at the seems and I'm really interested in where that's going. I am also kind of excited to see the actual Cersei and Loras trials, though I'm not 100% sure we'll get there. 

Was that it? Oh Brienne being Brienne in both the Jaime and Blackfish scenes was amazing. She is so righteously stubborn and in real life I think she'd drive me nuts but in the show I adore her. 

I was also surprised that with all the Riverrun hype we actually got a siege of Mereen, and I enjoyed that. Interested to see where that will go. 

Ok now I think I'm done. Haha. 

Beric is back. hell yeah Beric > Stoneheart always and forever. He's got great voice too

The Hound's scene with BwB. Them arguing who gets to kill how many and how.

Great acting from Essie Davis

That movie-like scene of the Masters bombarding Meereen

All the Riverrun scenes.

Cleganebowl cancelled, LSH denied

The Hound pissing in the river next to BwB as a metaphor for the show pissing on LSH arc.

That KL sequence with The Mountain

I really enjoyed this episode, just as I've enjoyed every episode this season. I sometimes have a few minor quibbles (mainly related to continuity) but as an avid book reader, I loved this episode. The humour was great (Rory McCann was fantastic, and the Hound scenes were great). 

Then I come on here, to a "fan" site, and discover that a majority hate it. Seems to me, this happens every week, and it's depressing. 

I can't wait for the next two episodes. I can't wait for the book. 

I liked the only surprise in the episode: Tommen/HSepton scratching the possibilty for trial by combat for Cersei. This sure twists things a little bit, although I would have liked to see the combat. 

BwB (the real ones) back was nice, too. It reminded me of the glory of previous seasons.

I liked a lot about this episode, still gave it a season low 6 rating though.

Arya - finally moving on from the FM

The Hound meets up with the BWB, finds they are still somewhat good guys, and more importantly for me no LSH! Are they maybe heading North where Sansa will be?

Jaime - Brienne, nice to see them have a talk after all that has happened.

Jaime - Edmure, I like this version of Jaime. He is truly committed to Cersei and there is something about that I like. Even tossing in the "burn cities to ashes" comment about her and Catelyn.

I loved the scene showing the attack on Mereen.

Cersei - realizing more and more that she has lost everything and is alone. I wonder if she had Qyburn looking into the wildfire before ever sending Jaime away. Maybe she sent him away to save him? I know she thought she could use the Mountain to win her trial but look at the timing. Qyburn tells her about the "rumors" before she finds out that she can't have a trial by combat, so she was already looking into it. (or as someone else noted, maybe the "rumors" were of Tyrion in Mereen)

What I liked most, the preview for next week!

Archived