Please explain Bravos ending (spoilers)

spivo

I didn't understand the ending...

Jaqen says she is now "No one", and she says she's Arya of Winterfell, and indicates she is of to help her family.

He smiles, like it is okay with him???

I did not understand any of it...

- Is he okay with her leaving the FM, with all the secrets they have?

- How can she be "No one", when she clearly still feels like a Stark?

- When someone has been "named", they have to die, so how can the Waif be a substitude for Arya?

Am I missing something? Does the FM have their own agenda, that does not need someone buying them?

The only thing I could think of, was that the Iron Bank, or someone else, has bought the FM to kill someone on Arya's list, so Jaqen knows she will still work for the FM going to Westeros???

2 hours ago, spivo said:

Jaqen says she is now "No one", and she says she's Arya of Winterfell, and indicates she is of to help her family.

- When someone has been "named", they have to die, so how can the Waif be a substitude for Arya?

Am I missing something? Does the FM have their own agenda, that does not need someone buying them?

The only thing I could think of, was that the Iron Bank, or someone else, has bought the FM to kill someone on Arya's list, so Jaqen knows she will still work for the FM going to Westeros???

I think they do have an agenda for Arya but what it is, idk. And Arya was essentially free to leave since she added a face to the hall. I think she passed all the tests and he proclaimed her 'no one' but she said 'nope, I'm going home.' The Waif was sent to kill Arya and she failed and Jaqen said either way a face would be added to the hall meaning it could either been Arya or the Waif's face(or Lady Crane's if Arya had completed her mission).

The only way I could see an Iron Bank connection with her list is Melisandre, but in the training montage earlier in the season she doesn't mention the Red Woman as a name on her list so I don't know if Arya wants to still kill her or not. And with Stannis dead and Davos fighting for the Starks I don't really see this happening. Oh wait, there is Cersei....but I think the Iron Bank won't have to worry about her much longer, lol.

The entire Arya story is all over the place. I think it would have made more sense to 1. Steal faces and flee 2. Kill Jaqen and get faces 3. Sent on a mission back to Westeros and decide not to return. I don't know were they are going with Arya but I don't think Jaqen will allow her to just go over to Westeros and just start killing using faces. So if she don't use faces to assassinate then was the entire Arya training even worth doing ? 

Arya paid her debt. Like Jaqen said earlier in the season 'one way or another a face will be added to the Hall'. 

Jaqen didn't pick a side in the Arya-Waif fight. He remained neutral, he tested them both and Waif made mistakes which cost her her life.

Inside the episode video explains it well.

5 minutes ago, Darksky said:

Arya paid her debt. Like Jaqen said earlier in the season 'one way or another a face will be added to the Hall'. 

Jaqen didn't pick a side in the Arya-Waif fight. He remained neutral, he tested them both and Waif made mistakes which cost her her life.

Inside the episode video explains it well.

Yea I understand that but will she be allowed to use faces to assassinate in the future? If not what was the entire point of the faceless men? 

5 minutes ago, FingerlittleGood said:

Yea I understand that but will she be allowed to use faces to assassinate in the future? If not what was the entire point of the faceless men? 

I'm having the same struggle, essentially. There are a few things about the whole thing that don't sit right with me, beginning with the seemingly competing logic of "if the name comes up they must die" but also "as long as someone dies the debt is paid." Like when Arya complains about having to kill Lady Crane, especially since she knows it's because the other actress is jealous, Jaqen says the Many Faced God was paid and given a name so now that person must die (and I mean she does eventually but her face doesn't get there so?). But then that seems to be negated by the assertion that really anyone could be killed and it would pay the debt?

I just really hope we're not done with the Faceless Men because if that was all there was to it, it was extremely unsatisfying. While I think Arya did have some character development and doubtless acquired some new skills, the weight the plot was given and the intensity of lore, etc, seems totally and completely wasted on just a "Arya realizes she was herself the whole time" storyline. 

So I just hope that this all somehow ties into endgame. Somehow. 

In other news, that was Waif's face she put in the hall, right? It was honestly hard for me to tell and now I'm having a moment of doubt. Someone just confirm it was for sure Waif, pretty please?

This is the problem with doing a show when you start with a huge amount of top level source material and then lose/burn through 90% of it. B&W have no idea what happens with Aryas storyline. All they know is she goes to Braavos (per the book) and eventually returns to Westeros (per GRRM info, I assume). So just fill in the stuff in the middle and everything will be okay, per their logic. 

It showed the failure of the concept of No One. A human can never completely become No One (not even Jaqen was No One), because we can't fully give up our likes/dislikes, wants/desires, hates etc  We are emotional creatures not robots.

4 hours ago, spivo said:

It's an unfinished story right now so all we can do is make assumptions.

I don't think he ever believed she would stay there. As to the "naming" that's not true either. If you remember when Arya saved him and the other two he told her that the God was owed three lives that she stole from him. Not that it had to be them, but three lives. So the Waif dying, which I believe he knew was going to happen, paid that debt. And the waif killed the actress so that debt was also paid.

The Arya storyline this whole season has been Arya learning to become ... Arya. She is impulsive, violent, vengeful. Over the season she finally learned to control her impulses, to plan ahead. We see her fleeing the waif in this last episode, but think. She was going someplace. She hid Needle in a dark cul-de-sac. She planned it. She was able to kill the waif because she outsmarted her by applying the lesson learned while she was blind. If the door was open it wouldn't have worked, but Arya knew the waif would shut the door to cut off her escape. She won, but she also became an assassin. She learned control. She grew up and she is deadly.

There was a bit of ambiguity at the end because I don't know if the Faceless Men were all that shallow as portrayed in the show. In the books they are much more mysterious. In the show they are not much more than assassins for hire, or so it seems. But now we know why Arya trained with them. She needed what they had to each even though she may not have realized it herself.

A life was promised and a life was taken.    In the second season, Jaquen was going to die and Arya saved him.   Since he was stolen from the faceless god, another life had to take his place.   Same here.  Arya was stolen and the Waif's life was paid.  Some times, I think you folks purposely TRY to ignore the obvious just so you can bitch more.

I suspect this will go similar way in the books, it will end the whole FM - Arya plotline by her escaping/quitting and going back home. Just in the books, I am not sure if she would be able to leave that easily.

Other than that, its the same pointless storyline just to get Arya trained  

It all felt too rushed/simple or maybe my expectations were too high.

That many episodes with the FM to just suddenly go: "k, bye", and Jaqen didn't even argue. I think I saw a tiny smile even.

On the other hand: Arya back to Westeros, I'm cool with that B)

Archived