Match Day 4: Spain vs Czech Republic, Ireland vs Sweden, Belgium vs Italy

Howdy, Clark was marking Lewicki or Larsson, who was right behind him, I think nine out of ten defenders would have made contact with the ball.

The Irish are keeping the pace, I'm really impressed.

Where were the young swedes that won the U21 Euros?

In spite of what I said a bit earlier, I'm starting to warm to this ROI side. I overjudged Sweden, apparently. They did not really look convincing. An adequate game in the end, but I'm getting tired of these narrow margin or no margin really tight games. Bring on some bunch of numpties getting drubbed 6-0!

28 minutes ago, The Killer Snark said:

In spite of what I said a bit earlier, I'm starting to warm to this ROI side. I overjudged Sweden, apparently. They did not really look convincing. An adequate game in the end, but I'm getting tired of these narrow margin or no margin really tight games. Bring on some bunch of numpties getting drubbed 6-0!

A 6-0 would be much more boring. We should be happy there's a lot of tension in each match, it makes for a much more entertaining viewing experience.

1 minute ago, Criston of House Shapper said:

A 6-0 would be much more boring. We should be happy there's a lot of tension in each match, it makes for a much more entertaining viewing experience.

Maybe it's just that we were spoiled by the goalfests of the last WC, but I'd far rather have open ended even games with lots of goals.

Don't think Belgium looked better at all.  Italy being pretty impressive.  Belgium are certainly a better team though, so there's no excuse for them not to get it together in the second half.

1 minute ago, Gylfi Gylfi Gylfi said:

God I hate Italy. They're so bloody Italian. Cynical fouls, time wasting, kicking the ball away, defending well.

As for Belgium they were awful. They need a proper manager.

This. Still a good performance from them, though. Belgium, on the other hand, should be able to do better than this. 

3 hours ago, HowdyGareth Bale said:

Why would a defender do that? How hard is it to not hit the ball with velocity into your own goal?

Have you played as a defender? It would be *very* difficult to push that ball anywhere but at the goal unless he's in a different position. 

Well, somebody just became the favourite to win the tournament...

2 hours ago, The Killer Snark said:

Maybe it's just that we were spoiled by the goalfests of the last WC, but I'd far rather have open ended even games with lots of goals.

More goals would be fine. A 3-2 is definitely better to watch than a 1-0, in that respect the WC was really fun. But I for one stopped watching the semi-finals between Germany and Brazil once it was 5-0. And I also stopped watching France vs. Switzerland after the first half at 3-0 (That one was because I was pissed off). I only tuned in to see how they would end after about 85 minutes or something.

Belgium were properly schooled by Italy. Easily the better side. Belgium, once again, flatter to deceive. Idk if it's an inferiority complex or ineptitude on the part of Wilmots - probably a combination of both. With the individual quality that Belgium have, they really should be doing better than that.

The best thing about today was Mark Lawrenson's commentary. Highlights include:

- Comparing himself to Boutros Boutros Ghali

- Saying that Granqvist went "down like custard"

- Something about Shane Long chasing paper bags in the park

He's such a strange man.

Italy are a limited side, but so well coached and with a back 3 + keeper that know each other very well - that could be enough to get to the latter stages. I don't understand what Giaccherini offers that Florenzi does not with more technical ability to boot, but I'll give Conte the benefit of the doubt on that one.

I actually thought Fellaini was one of Belgium's better players. I'd still drop him though, as his differing style is one of the main reasons why their side is incohesive. Playing him as the most advanced of the midfield three means a complete waste of KdB out wide, especially damning with Carrasco and Mertens on the bench. Also why ignore the centre back partnership of Alderweireld and Vertonghen when Vermaelen can be stuck out on the left instead?

6 minutes ago, Raja said:

Have you played as a defender? It would be *very* difficult to push that ball anywhere but at the goal unless he's in a different position. 

So what is the matter with letting the ball cross? If it is a question of possibly having someone there to score or scoring yourself against your team, it seems like you should just mae the choice to not make contact

Archived