Why did they show us Sandor's "sword"?

58 minutes ago, gregg22 said:

I thought it was more teasing a Lady Stoneheart return. I was thinking, damn she's been dead way too long to wash up now

I'd believe this most of all to be honest. I'm sure hanging Lemoncloak was a nod to this as well.

8 hours ago, The Dames do Moan said:

Let's create a super complex theory about Sandor's "Sword"!

Maybe his sword is the real Lightbringer, that he stabbed Nissa Nissa with, kinda wierd he tried a lion first though no? Anyway, it will defeat the WW single handedly. Well, to be fair, he'd probably need both hands.

Also, has anyone seen John Bradley's (Samwell's) comment at an old Comic Con about the inequality of male vs female nudity? Epic.

I always thought Tormund's member was lightbringer.  I guess the show is twisting that on us though.

9 hours ago, FoyeTwenty Boston said:

I feel like D&D have been stepping up the unnecessary male nudity this season. They've gotten a lot of criticism about the unnecessary boobs so IMO they are just trying to keep it at a even keel. They're equal opportunist nudists!

This is something that's been annoying me.

I'm pretty sure that most of the people criticizing the lack of and asking for more male nudity did not want the majority of the male nudity this season has delivered.  I'm pretty sure that they were asking for equally attractive, equally relevant nudity for both genders.  And how attractive something is depends on more than physical appeal; it's also about context.

Taking a piss and checking for warts are not attractive contexts.

I thought that this season was handling its nudity pretty well for the first four episodes.

Mel's nudity showed her vulnerability and loss of faith.  Jon and Dany were shown nude as part of a kind of rebirth process for each character.  I think there was also a quick flash of a Dothraki man's backside when Daario and Jorah were sneaking around at night, which continued the characterization of the Dothraki that the show has presented since Dany's wedding to Khal Drogo.

There were still some nudity equality issues (the camera seemed to linger much more on Dany than it did on Jon in their "rebirth" scenes), but overall the show was demonstrating progress in the way it was becoming more mature with it's use of nudity for plot relevant reasons.

The next four episodes have not been handled so well.

There was the play actress showing her breasts during the performance, which, while gratuitous, was understandable because the play she was in seemed like it was supposed to be a gratuitous form of entertainment for the common people of Braavos to enjoy.  Then we went backstage.  We got the completely gratuitous-in-a-bad-way wart checking dick shot, and another gratuitous-in-a-bad-way shot of the actress's breasts.  That scene would have worked just as well, if not better, had there been no nudity involved.

Then there was the boobs-everywhere brothel scene with the Greyjoy's in Volantis.  I felt that this too was a step back from the progress I thought I saw in the first four episodes.  I felt that Yara and Theon could have had their conversation just about anywhere with the same end effect, but I did understand the reasons for staging it where it was.  It demonstrated what Theon had lost (although did we really need another reminder?) while Yara tried to bring him back to himself.  It also marked a waypoint on their journey to Mereen that the audience would recognize, although this may have worked better had they set it in the same brothel Jorah grabbed Tyrion from in the previous season.  Even if those reasons made it absolutely necessary to set the scene where it was, however, the amount of bare flesh in the background was excessive and distracting.

Finally, we come to the Hound taking a piss.  The metaphorical and joking reasons people are coming up with for the Hound to be pissing in the river while talking to Thoros and Beric are not strengthened by showing him whipping it out beforehand.  It was simply unnecessary.  We don't need to see his "sword" to know what he's doing.

I don't feel that the last four episodes would have been weakened in any way by removing all of the nudity involved, and, in some cases, they may have been strengthened.

If the show was really trying to handle it's nudity better and equalize the amount of male and female nudity, then there was really only one scene that would have been appropriate for it to do so.  Jon's resurrection.  It was a scene in which they had thematically decided that it was necessary for the character to be nude, it involved an actor many people find physically attractive, and because of it's nature as a mystical resurrection moment (as opposed to warts and urination) it was also contextually attractive.

It would have been totally fine to leave that scene as it was presented, but when Jon's resurrection is then followed by the other male nudity the season has shown, it annoys me that it was handled in the way that it was.

When Dany's moment of what many people called "empowering nudity" is followed by the gratuitous play and excessive brothel breasts, the show begins to annoy me.

I guess all I'm asking for is that when the show uses nudity it does a few simple things.  Make sure that the nudity is contextually appropriate.  Make sure that there is a balance between the amount of male and female nudity.  And make sure that there is a balance in the types of male and female nudity (both in physical and contextual attractiveness).

Well...this turned out to be more of a rant than I thought I had on the subject.

8 hours ago, Grizzly Mormont said:

I was disappointed he didn't lift his leg to pee. 

ROFL !

I was also waiting for the Blackfish to float past... and then Thoros to jump into action and create StoneFishHeart.

They are just doing it for all the whining ladies who complain and complain...

In my opinion they overdid it.. Too much dickless jokes..too much that it was quite disturbing.

They could have stopped with thr unnecessary boob flashing, instead they decide to unecessarly flash dicks too..

wtf guys!!

Yes, let's all go ballistic over a glimpse of the Hound's cock. It's much more upsetting and psychically traumatizing than seeing him lop the head off one guy, split another couple like a logs, and crotch-split a fourth. That's all just good, healthy violence! Not at all like the sick, sexually-suggestive act of - gasp! dare I even type the word?? - urination.

Oh, and I like the vision of him lifting a hind leg... har!

It was fine. 

It would be good to see men just walking/sitting around naked like the women do - then it would be (more) equal.

How the nude scenes are different between the sexes are in the way they are portrayed. The 'sword' shots are always 'action' shots, like men are uncomfortable to show their equipment unless they are doing something with it. 

its alright to show some penis. why not? there should be more naked men in tv anyways. the prudish "i feel offended by a naked human body" is brainwashed into peoples minds. i go to sauna every week and see naked men and women of all shapes and ages, naked in a non sexual context. that should be "normal" to everyone.

now why was his dick shown? i dont really care, but i liked it.

2 hours ago, Davos's Scopolamine Patch said:

But the boobs are always sexualized.  Why not a shot of a nursing mom, flopping one out to feed a baby.  That's about as exciting as seeing a dude pee.  

But really, I thought maybe I missed something intricate to the show.  

Because you were distracted by the quarter second glimpse of his penis?

1 hour ago, Tianzi said:

Seriously, why is it even a controversy. Have any female parts gotten their own topic yet?

If the actress who played Sansa in the theatre troupe's female parts haven't gotten their own topic yet, they damn well should!

4 minutes ago, Ser Hyle said:

If the actress who played Sansa in the theatre troupe's female parts haven't gotten their own topic yet, they damn well should!

Age before beauty. Let's start with Lady Melisandre's ;)

5 hours ago, Davos's Scopolamine Patch said:

But the boobs are always sexualized.  Why not a shot of a nursing mom, flopping one out to feed a baby.  That's about as exciting as seeing a dude pee.  

But really, I thought maybe I missed something intricate to the show.  

We already had lots of that with Lysa/Sweetrobin

Archived