Tyrion's joke

Nerevanin

22 minutes ago, Rose of Ice said:

The Starks are so miserly that they are going to try and get back even the tiny amount the fly might drink.

14 minutes ago, nara said:

I thought it was the miserly thing, but I read somewhere that the Starks are so hot on honor that he couldn't allow the fly to steal a little bit of the drink.  

26 minutes ago, DaMavs said:

The Stark lord wants all the alcohol for himself and isn't about to share any with the fly.

Umm... that's really getting me "ROTFLOL" :rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, No One of Importance said:

This is an old joke, originally with an Englishman, a Scotsman, and an Irishman.  It's meant to show that the Englishman is snobby, the Scotsman doesn't care about gross stuff, and the Irishman can't bear to part with even a fly's worth of his alcohol.

Yep. Same thing with Missandei's joke, I've heard it before (a lot of my friends are translators). And now that I remember, so was Sallador Saan's a couple of seasons ago about the brown pants. 

Jesus, none of their jokes are original, that's a pretty cardinal sin among screenwriters :/

6 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

So... can someone explain to me what is supposed to be funny about the Stark lord yelling "spit it out, you wee shit, spit it out!" ?

I thought it meant that Starks wanted everything they were entitled to, but really I have no idea if that's what it meant or not.

The funny part was that the Starks are - according to a humoristic Lannister perspective - either too poor to afford losing even a fly's worth of alcohol, generally brutish and disgusting enough to want to drink something that's been in a fly's belly, or just the fact that they supposedly talk a bit like that

7 hours ago, The Dames do Moan said:

I liked how they cut off the honeycomb and a jackass walk into a bar joke. Same joke that Tyrion was trying to tell to Lysa and Cat in season one at the Eryie and got cut off. Hope he gets to finish it one of these days.

I really want to know the punchline to this one.

It's a joke that's obviously supposed to complement the Braavosi portrayal of Ned as the loutish drunken idiot in the play scenes. What I took from the joke: Starks are so drunken and obsessive over their alcohol, that they can't bear to miss even a fly's worth of it. If anything the joke felt rather out of place, to be honest.

It was a pretty terrible scene. 

Not sure about you guys, but to me it also felt like it dragged on WAY too long for something that was so pointless 

The Tyrion-Grey Worm-Missandei stuff hasn't worked this season. Tyrion's charm & wit need to be matched and challenged, like the way Varys does, not the way these other 2 just sit and accept it. 

This is right up there with Orsen's beetles, bad pussy, and some of the other scenes that just felt totally out of place and unnecssary. 

9 minutes ago, TickTak7 said:

It was a pretty terrible scene. 

Not sure about you guys, but to me it also felt like it dragged on WAY too long for something that was so pointless 

The Tyrion-Grey Worm-Missandei stuff hasn't worked this season. Tyrion's charm & wit need to be matched and challenged, like the way Varys does, not the way these other 2 just sit and accept it. 

This is right up there with Orsen's beetles, bad pussy, and some of the other scenes that just felt totally out of place and unnecssary. 

I agree with all of this (except the beetle scene, I actually liked that one).

I wish that Tyrion had Barriston around to talk to.  I think that would be interesting.

18 hours ago, No One of Importance said:

This is an old joke, originally with an Englishman, a Scotsman, and an Irishman.  It's meant to show that the Englishman is snobby, the Scotsman doesn't care about gross stuff, and the Irishman can't bear to part with even a fly's worth of his alcohol.

So it's basically a paraphrase of an old joke that actually exists? Oh dear, the writers really put so much effort into the scripts. :rolleyes:

Archived