Tyrion's joke

Nerevanin

27 minutes ago, NutBurz said:

This guy is a perfect example of someone who is too bothered by nudity to make a coherent analysis.

Orson Scott Card is only okay with nudity when it involves a ten year old boy having sex with a grown man and subsequently almost dying because homosexual sex is apparently so "unnatural" that it can virtually kill people immediately. Or something. 

So yeah, not sure why his views on the subject matter, to be honest. 

21 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Orson Scott Card is only okay with nudity when it involves a ten year old boy having sex with a grown man and subsequently almost dying because homosexual sex is apparently so "unnatural" that it can virtually kill people immediately. Or something. 

So yeah, not sure why his views on the subject matter, to be honest. 

They don't, the point was that this is where the Orson/beetle scene came from. Not from the books, as another poster stated.

On 14/06/2016 at 0:06 PM, YOVMO said:

It would only make sense if the starks had a reputation for either being cheap or being drunks...neither of which seem to be true to me.

This is what I was thinking. So not only do d$d jump at any opportunity to bash the Starks that they can, but they're also too lazy to write their own jokes, or even find one that's applicable to the intended target. I thought that I got the joke when I heard it, but I wasn't sure because it didn't make sense with in the context. Man, those guys manage to screw everything up. they can't even adapt a simple joke, let alone a brilliant series as intricate as  ASOIAF.

6 hours ago, Darkstream said:

This is what I was thinking. So not only do d$d take any opportunity to bash the Starks that they can, but they're also too lazy to write their own jokes, or even find one that's applicable to the intended target. I thought that I got the joke when I heard it, but I wasn't sure because it didn't make sense in the context. Man, those guys manage to screw everything up. they can't even adapt a simple joke, let alone a brilliant series as intricate as  ASOIAF.

Tune in next week for "why did the dornishman cross the road.."

I'm gonne be generous and assume that the jokes in this scene were meant to be bad and simple. The big question is, why was this scene there at all ?

It was already established that Tyrion and MissWorm don't connect on a personal level and this was not really critical info in the first place.

25 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

Tune in next week for "why did the dornishman cross the road.."

...to get to the bad pussy? 

...to distance himself from the Dornish plot? 

Ok,  I hope you have something better than what I came up with planned for next week. 

1 hour ago, Darkstream said:

Ok,  I hope you have something better than what I came up with planned for next week. 

see getting the bad pussy or distancing from plot would actually have made more sense than the stark punchline in Tyrion's joke because where the dornish do seem to want to get the bad pussy or be totally plot irrelevant, the starks do not have the reputation of being cheap and/or being drunks. Actually, at least with regards to being drunks, that is the exact opposite of their reputation as sober and serious people....and as for being cheap...nothing of the sort is ever mentioned. When Tyrion says the joke is funnier in Westeros he is wrong there too. I mean, he seems to meant that the joke would be funnier if you knew the reputations of the Lannisters, Martell's and Starks where, in reality, it would be even less funny to anyone who knew the Stark reputation.

A more likely Joke might be Why did the Dornishman cross the road? To avoid the spicy food.

You may not have laughed, but it is totally more funny in Dorne.

12 minutes ago, Rhollo said:

... to murder a relative ?

Again, that one is still more relevant that Tyrion's joke.  Remember, Tyrion's joke is a joke about the starks. a Lannister a martell and a stark walk into a bar, etc, see a fly in their wine.

The Lannister buys new wine because he is rich. Ok. We get that.

The Dornishman eats his fly possibly because the dornish eat weird stuff like scorpions or possibly because they are full of the zest of life...fine

Now the punchline. The stark pulls the fly our and demands a return on what was imbibed implying that there is never enough booze for a stark or that starks are so cheap they won't even let a fly's portion go. These are simply not the sterotypes of a stark. It would be like calling a Lannister cheap.

In your construction we see the dornismen as kinslayers. On the show we see kin (bastard though they are) murdering kin. And while that isn't in the books, there is no doubt that Doran will infact kill the sandsnakes if he is pushed to far. So the possibility for kinslaying exists in the dornish far more than we see the possibility of cheapness or drunkenness in the Starks.

5 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

Again, that one is still more relevant that Tyrion's joke.  Remember, Tyrion's joke is a joke about the starks. a Lannister a martell and a stark walk into a bar, etc, see a fly in their wine.

The Lannister buys new wine because he is rich. Ok. We get that.

The Dornishman eats his fly possibly because the dornish eat weird stuff like scorpions or possibly because they are full of the zest of life...fine

Now the punchline. The stark pulls the fly our and demands a return on what was imbibed implying that there is never enough booze for a stark or that starks are so cheap they won't even let a fly's portion go. These are simply not the sterotypes of a stark. It would be like calling a Lannister cheap.

In your construction we see the dornismen as kinslayers. On the show we see kin (bastard though they are) murdering kin. And while that isn't in the books, there is no doubt that Doran will infact kill the sandsnakes if he is pushed to far. So the possibility for kinslaying exists in the dornish far more than we see the possibility of cheapness or drunkenness in the Starks.

Don't overanalyze this.

They remembered the joke about a welsh, irish and scotsman and went: Well the Starks are up north, kinda like the scots, so let's make them the butt of the joke.

That was the thought process, I'm pretty sure.

2 minutes ago, Rhollo said:

Don't overanalyze this.

They remembered the joke about a welsh, irish and scotsman and went: Well the Starks are up north, kinda like the scots, so let's make them the butt of the joke.

That was the thought process, I'm pretty sure.

I was mostly overanalyzing for lulz and because hyperbole is a good tool to point out the massive failures in D&D's writing.

2 hours ago, Rhollo said:

... to murder a relative ?

:lol:  Good one. 

It's pretty sad that we have, just in the spur of the moment, come up with four jokes funnier and more relevant than the one d&d used in their multi-million dollar production. 

Fly "drinks" beer that doesn´t belong to it, fly is dishonorable, Stark demands fly to do the honorable thing even though fly can´t even grasp what honor is. It´s not hard, although it might not be funny because we´re not 13th century people living in Westeros.

4 minutes ago, NutBurz said:

Fly "drinks" beer that doesn´t belong to it, fly is dishonorable, Stark demands fly to do the honorable thing even though fly can´t even grasp what honor is. It´s not hard, although it might not be funny because we´re not 13th century people living in Westeros.

Then the fly should have either lost its head, or been sent to the Wall by the Stark. :)

On 16/06/2016 at 10:16 AM, Darkstream said:

No Ser, it most definitely was not. That statement is Bonkers. 

LOL....you are so right...I have no idea why I was sure that was in the books... I think it came from Tyrion's desperation in that chapter.  My apologies!!! I am a huge fan of the books, can;t believe I mixed DnD with GRRM lol!!!

19 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

LOL....you are so right...I have no idea why I was sure that was in the books... I think it came from Tyrion's desperation in that chapter.  My apologies!!! I am a huge fan of the books, can;t believe I mixed DnD with GRRM lol!!!

That's cool, no need to apologize. It's one of d$d's go to tactics, take a bunch of meaningless fluff and dress it up to sound like something profound. although it seems they don't even bother anymore, they used to disguise their toxic drivel so that it would seep into your brain.

19 hours ago, Darkstream said:

LMFAO....that post made my day hahahaha

Seems like this scene was pointless... I also think that it was just boring... Actually from episode 6 nothing is interesting... NOTHING! I said NOTHING!! The three episodes are so boring in my perspectives. 

But then, I've come to the conclusion that NOTHING is POINTLESS in Game Of thrones. Everything has a purpose. At least a meaning.

I might be wrong, but jsut don't forget that everything has a purpose in game of thrones.

Archived