Tyrion's joke

Nerevanin

9 hours ago, TickTak7 said:

It was a pretty terrible scene. 

Not sure about you guys, but to me it also felt like it dragged on WAY too long for something that was so pointless 

The Tyrion-Grey Worm-Missandei stuff hasn't worked this season. Tyrion's charm & wit need to be matched and challenged, like the way Varys does, not the way these other 2 just sit and accept it. 

This is right up there with Orsen's beetles, bad pussy, and some of the other scenes that just felt totally out of place and unnecssary. 

Yeah. The Tyrion+GreyWorm+Missandei combo was pretty bad already the first time and then they did practically the same scene with slightly different lines several times. What is the point of it? None.

I actually quite liked the scene with Orson's beetles because it had a meaning. But this? Tyrion having a monologue while the stone-faced Miss and GreyWorm stare at him? That's what I call a story progression. *heavy sarcasm*

I think the point of the joke is to show the general perception of Dorne and The North in the rest of Westeros. Dorne are seen as savage uncultured and the North are seen as poor and niggardly.

These are the two cultures which have integrated the least into the rest of Westeros. They have different cultural traditions, gods, laws of inheritance et al. But rather than say a Northerner he just says A Stark. Not sure why he didn't say a Martell instead of a Dornishman, maybe the audience has wiped the Martells out of their memory already (with good reason). 

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 11:47 AM, Nerevanin said:

So... can someone explain to me what is supposed to be funny about the Stark lord yelling "spit it out, you wee shit, spit it out!" ?

It would only make sense if the starks had a reputation for either being cheap or being drunks...neither of which seem to be true to me.

17 hours ago, TickTak7 said:

Not sure about you guys, but to me it also felt like it dragged on WAY too long for something that was so pointless 

The Tyrion-Grey Worm-Missandei stuff hasn't worked this season. Tyrion's charm & wit need to be matched and challenged, like the way Varys does, not the way these other 2 just sit and accept it. 

This is right up there with Orsen's beetles, bad pussy, and some of the other scenes that just felt totally out of place and unnecssary. 

I think the dynamic between those three has worked perfectly. Their interactions should be completely stilted because of their different backgrounds. And it shows how far out of his comfort zone Tyrion is at the moment. When they get back to Westeros, he'll come back into his own again. 

1 minute ago, Lord Spark of House Spark said:

I think the dynamic between those three has worked perfectly. Their interactions should be completely stilted because of their different backgrounds. And it shows how far out of his comfort zone Tyrion is at the moment. When they get back to Westeros, he'll come back into his own again. 

I'm sure when he gets back to Westeros that will be the case. 

However, there's just no point to these scenes. They don't progress or offer the viewer anything interesting or new. 

We've seen the awkward dynamic already -they did a scene like this already this season. We don't need another one, do we?

It was long and accomplished nothing. 

Unless the goal was to humanize Missandei a bit more. We know what happens when shows start humanizing characters... does this mean her end is near?

On 6/13/2016 at 4:59 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I have also heard that joke told about Canadians.  They are kind of humorless dicks when it comes to protecting their beer.

Hey, that's not a very nice thing to say eh.

Uuhh,... Ummm....You haven't heard anything have you? You would tell me if you knew someone was after by beer right? Right?...You would, wouldn't you? Come on man, Who in the Seven hells is after my beer. WHO?????? I need to know what this is aboot!!!:tantrum:

:cheers:

On 2016-06-13 at 1:18 PM, The Dames do Moan said:

I liked how they cut off the honeycomb and a jackass walk into a bar joke. Same joke that Tyrion was trying to tell to Lysa and Cat in season one at the Eryie and got cut off. Hope he gets to finish it one of these days.

Thanks for reminding me about being reminded about the joke that was never told.. ;)

18 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

I don't care who says what in any scene with Nathalie Emmanuel in it. That girl is simply stunning. :wideeyed:

I admit that she looked very pretty in the scene when she was supposed to be drunk and like for the first time she smiled.

On 14/06/2016 at 0:53 AM, Eli Stark said:

I thought it was hilarious.  Maybe I'm less sophisticated than others though.

So much this.

People talk like anyone actually came up with jokes and not just copy/adapt the same ones ever since always. I must have lost the moment A Game of Thrones became a comedy show.

On 14/06/2016 at 2:53 PM, TickTak7 said:

The beetles conversation with Orsen the cousin was from the books.  It actually has a deeper meaning when it is taken in context of the story at that point. 

2 hours ago, Bonkers said:

The beetles conversation with Orsen the cousin was from the books.  It actually has a deeper meaning when it is taken in context of the story at that point. 

No Ser, it most definitely was not. That statement is Bonkers. 

On 14/06/2016 at 1:53 AM, TickTak7 said:

It annoys me that they are wasting such a talent that is the actor playing Varys

Instead they want to focus on Peter, which to be quite honest only stands out when surrounded by bad actors

5 hours ago, TickTak7 said:

Mind elaborating?

This is what the beetle scene was all about, strait from the brilliant minds of d$d.

Uncle Orson scathingly wrote:

But wouldn't it have been nice if HBO had presented an adult version of this masterpiece of fantasy literature, instead of giving us the lonely-14-year-old-boy's version.

This has been reasonably theorized to be a dig at Card’s genocide in Ender’s Game of the “buggers”, an insectoid, beetle-like race of space-faring extraterrestrials.

ETA: My thanks to @CrypticWeirwood for providing this link and quote.

To clarify, I'm not here to "dig" or defend Scott Card. I'm really not all that familiar with him. I'm just here to defend against baseless statements presented as fact made about GRRM's writing. And I'll save my criticism for d$d.

Archived