Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FoyeTwenty Boston

Dinklage can make something out of complete nothing!

Recommended Posts

For such a pointless filler scene, I was so charmed by the Tyrion/Grey Worm/Missandei drinking scene in this week. Dinklage just kills everything he does, his little mannerisms and subtle body language is spot on and funny. The Grey Worm and Missandei actors are better because of him but they are good as well.

With so much meat and potatoes and posturing for end game being thrown at us from all directions these little seft-contained scenes are nice and refreshing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was rolling my eyes all along that scene... It is in the top 3 most stupid inconsequent filler cringe pointless horrible dialogue/character development scenes in the whole show.

They have killed so many characters this season and couldnt kill the ones who are the worst. They even tried to make Missandei + Greyworm romance a thing... give me a break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dinklage is great and I wish D&D wrote more useful things for Tyrion to do this season. How many akward scenes between him´, Missandei and Grey Worm have we gotten so far? 3? They could have Tyrion using his intelligence and investigating who's behind the sons of the harpy, but no, they had to give that to Varys to not make him totally useless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

I was rolling my eyes all along that scene... It is in the top 3 most stupid inconsequent filler cringe pointless horrible dialogue/character development scenes in the whole show.

They have killed so many characters this season and couldnt kill the ones who are the worst. They even tried to make Missandei + Greyworm romance a thing... give me a break.

And then they dropped that too. 

I also kind of liked Dinklage's delivery in that, but the scene itself was terrible, it went on for too long and the jokes were pretty bad and not even original. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GhostNymeria said:

Dinklage is great and I wish D&D wrote more useful things for Tyrion to do this season. How many akward scenes between him´, Missandei and Grey Worm have we gotten so far? 3? They could have Tyrion using his intelligence and investigating who's behind the sons of the harpy, but no, they had to give that to Varys to not make him totally useless. 

I have to agree here.

I wished Dinklage got the material he deserves. At the moment Tyrion is a bit going nowhere. After he took off the dragons' fetters there was too much background work for him and now, with the slavers' fleet arriving, his diplomacy approach has gone wrong as well. I wished Tyrion got the opportunity to shine by wits and courage apart from being "only" entertaining. But now he will be outshined by Dany and Yara will save the day. And the  next episode may not be his either, so let's hope he gets his big moment in the last one. I want crazy clever Tyrion back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dinklage does have a pleasant delivery, but his lines are vacant of purpose and vapid of content. What was the point of this scene?  ASOIF is a complex series so why do we have to spend television seconds with party jokes?  And this is the second time Tyrion has found his company wanting.  First, he wanted sprightly conversation, now he wants jokes.  It makes Tyrion seem completely tone deaf to the differences in class and education between himself and his current companions.   The books, if not the show, have hinted that Tyrion is sensitive to the shortcomings of others and can understand sadnesses of the heart yet he seems almost cruel to GW and M.  
Tyrion - Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man, you guys on this forum are so jaded you can't have ANY fun anymore. I laughed the hardest at this scene when Missandei finally tells her joke, Dinklade has his excited little twitch lol he was excited she had a joke! lol it was really cute. Have some fun people. Of course it's just filler, but try and enjoy it. The low points make the highs and drama that much higher

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

Dinklage does have a pleasant delivery, but his lines are vacant of purpose and vapid of content. What was the point of this scene?  ASOIF is a complex series so why do we have to spend television seconds with party jokes?  And this is the second time Tyrion has found his company wanting.  First, he wanted sprightly conversation, now he wants jokes.  It makes Tyrion seem completely tone deaf to the differences in class and education between himself and his current companions.   The books, if not the show, have hinted that Tyrion is sensitive to the shortcomings of others and can understand sadnesses of the heart yet he seems almost cruel to GW and M.  
Tyrion - Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not.

What? Book!Tyrion is a douche who makes fun of everyone (and that's what makes him a great character, most of the time)

2 minutes ago, FoyeTwenty Boston said:

Oh man, you guys on this forum as so jaded you can't have ANY fun anymore. I laughed the hardest at this scene when Missandei finally tells her joke, Dinklade has his excited little twitch lol he was excited she had a joke! lol it was really cute. Have some fun people.

I'd leave the jokes to "Silicon Valley" and "Veep." I was HOWLING with laughter with yesterday's episodes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FoyeTwenty Boston said:

Oh man, you guys on this forum are so jaded you can't have ANY fun anymore. I laughed the hardest at this scene when Missandei finally tells her joke, Dinklade has his excited little twitch lol he was excited she had a joke! lol it was really cute. Have some fun people. Of course it's just filler, but try and enjoy it. The low points make the highs and drama that much higher

 

Vomit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

What? Book!Tyrion is a douche who makes fun of everyone (and that's what makes him a great character, most of the time 

I agree that Tyrion makes fun of everyone but I always came away with a sense of his humanity.  He felt for Jon's situation, he understood Shae's sensitivities, he was decent to Sansa regarding their marital duties - yes, he could be a funny jerk but what saved the character was a glimpse at his inner life. This stupid cocktail party banter is beneath him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

I agree that Tyrion makes fun of everyone but I always came away with a sense of his humanity.  He felt for Jon's situation, he understood Shae's sensitivities, he was decent to Sansa regarding their marital duties - yes, he could be a funny jerk but what saved the character was a glimpse at his inner life. This stupid cocktail party banter is beneath him

That was pre-Storm Tyrion. Post-Storm Tyrion is a right bastard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, in my opinion Dinklage is making nothing out of nothing this season.  His scenes are consistently low points of the episodes he appears in as he has nothing to really do but make jokes to Grey Worm and Missandei and Varys.  I don't think it's Dinklage's fault at all, there's just no reason for his character to even be appearing outside of it being Dinklage and Tyrion being such a hit character early on.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It shows even the characters they really like,they ruin.  They put Dinklage in Meereen to give it some wattage and star power w/out Firestarter to deadpan around and burn people alive...but for unfathomable reasons, instead of at least trying to create a similar sense in Meereen as KL, with some intrigue, some antagonists, so Dinklage has something to do and people to play off of, they've had him crack jokes.

Maybe they don't hate the Starks, perhaps they are simply that ineffective and incompetent when left to their own devices.

I've thought Dinklage was mailing it since last year though, however there isn't much you can do w/the material he's had this year, drinking games, wot, wot, and dumb jokes....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The actors did their best but that was probably the worst scene in the show's history. Stupid, pointless and boring. At least Dorne was entertaining in its badness, but this was just... why...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think "filler" is a funny insult. Is that supposed to mean the scene is meaningless? How can it not be important that Tyrion is supposed to rule over this foreign city with a relatively distrustful "court" of (former) slaves, probably the only kind of people he never learnt how to deal with? How is it not important to show the process of of him starting to get their trust?

Would it really be better if we just saw him being pardoned, then prancing about the civil war of Mereen solving some mystery and then a trusted and experienced ruler? Would we not be complaining about that too? "yeah, right, Tyrion just arrives as a slave and in 6 episodes ends the threat of the Harpy by making Grey Worm kill their leader, such plot armor"

He´s a drinker and a joker surrounded by people he needs but doesn´t understand, and who don´t drink or joke. Would we call it good writing if that was not mentioned, of if whatever process that happened between the characters was not shown?

The show has flaws, but I think sometimes people just want to say anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FoyeTwenty Boston said:

Oh man, you guys on this forum are so jaded you can't have ANY fun anymore.

 

I can only speak for myself, but it's pretty true in my case.  I'm jaded enough, though I don't harbour 100% catholicity about show/book discrepancies and my scorn for the show is somewhat patchier than the norm here.  I do think people here have a lot of fun dissecting the show's faults though, so I would dispute the second part of your sentence.

I find Tyrion's scenes tough to digest now, and part of the reason is that I find him most enjoyable when he's playing off of someone he verbally either jousts with (Bronn, Varys), mildly torments (Pod, Jorah), or rips apart (Cersei, etc).  Missandei and Grey Worm are closer to empty vessels for me, though they sort of fall into the "mildly torments" camp.  I just feel like there's a more deadened interplay and lack of chemistry.  The jokes themselves didn't really help, but YMMV where humour is concerned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think he did anything spectacular with the scene. It was more awkward than funny, but the biggest problem was that it was repeating a scene all over again. Tyrion already had a comic relief scene trying to get GRey Worm and Missandei to have fun. That wasn't particularly funny either, but had the first try advantage. Why play this card again? 

In any case, as lame as that scene was, I still prefer Tyrion telling jokes with Missandei and Grey Worm to Tyrion drinking in the bottom of a ship thinking about where  do whores go. Joining the Meereen gang was the best thing that could have happened to Tyrion after leaving Westeros. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dinklage is a very overrated actor, IMO and, alongside other lesser actors, such as those playing Greyworm and Missendai, his lack of talent becomes glaringly obvious. I'm pretty sure the OP is being sarcastic with this thread - because I don't think it is possible to call Dinklage a good actor with a straight face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×