Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FoyeTwenty Boston

Dinklage can make something out of complete nothing!

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, David Selig said:

No actor could make that scene work. It seemed almost as if someone had dared D&D to write the most boring scenes possible for Dinklage this season and they have delivered big time. Every single scene of his this season has been a total waste of screentime.

Maybe Dinklage got caught reading the books?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boarsbane said:

I don't think he was that great. I'd like to see the more spiteful and perverse Tyrion we see in Dance, I genuinely found a lot of his comments and thoughts funny, much more funny than that pointless scene 

Dance was actual character development, which show Tyrion hasn't had since season 4.

I have a suspicion (totally unfounded, just based on reason) that Dinklage may have refused to be subjected to the type of development offered in Dance (pig riding, dwarf love rejecting, wallowing in self pity over his own dwarfism) so Barristan was killed and Tyrion given his role to accommodate. It's only a suspicion but I feel it makes sense, otherwise, why not give someone who is supposedly this great actor some real meaty character development that would require incredibly nuanced acting to pull off.

How could show Tyrion reject Penny and not seem like an asshole? A great actor would be able to present that. How could a dwarf be subjected to riding a pig for the pleasure of the crowd and still maintain some pride? Again, a great actor could pull that off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ummester said:

Dance was actual character development, which show Tyrion hasn't had since season 4.

I have a suspicion (totally unfounded, just based on reason) that Dinklage may have refused to be subjected to the type of development offered in Dance (pig riding, dwarf love rejecting, wallowing in self pity over his own dwarfism) so Barristan was killed and Tyrion given his role to accommodate. It's only a suspicion but I feel it makes sense, otherwise, why not give someone who is supposedly this great actor some real meaty character development that would require incredibly nuanced acting to pull off.

How could show Tyrion reject Penny and not seem like an asshole? A great actor would be able to present that. How could a dwarf be subjected to riding a pig for the pleasure of the crowd and still maintain some pride? Again, a great actor could pull that off.

Yea nobody will convince me that the Unsullied wouldn't enjoy a scene with Tyrion riding a pig. Tyrion from the books would bring some actual humor to this show, character development aside, I can't remember the last time I actually laughed at something I was supposed to. The little dwarf in Braavos play who was supposed to be Tyrion was more entertaining than the actual Tyrion has been for a while now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Boarsbane said:

Yea nobody will convince me that the Unsullied wouldn't enjoy a scene with Tyrion riding a pig. Tyrion from the books would bring some actual humor to this show, character development aside, I can't remember the last time I actually laughed at something I was supposed to. The little dwarf in Braavos play who was supposed to be Tyrion was more entertaining than the actual Tyrion has been for a while now.

The unsullied would love it - it's confrontational and controversial, exactly what attracts them to GoTs in the first place.

The mummer dwarf is funny - it's kind of bizarre that he is there as a proxy for how the commoners view Tyrion, almost like a dig at show Tyrion, just like Missendai asking exactly how long he was a slave for, taking the piss out of show Tyrion's comical experience with slavery. Like some kind of in joke on Dinklage ruining Tyrion's character - it's very meta and not something I'm sure D&D are capable of conceiving after episode 8 :D

The issue with mummer Tyrion is that if the commoners really despise him as an evil little imp, how does Tyrion walk around Mereen without get slaughtered?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't blame Dinklage for not wanting to ride a freaking pig or having scenes with that borderline offensive caricature that is Penny. 

That said, he must be bored out of his mind with the material they gave him this season. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I wouldn't blame Dinklage for not wanting to ride a freaking pig or having scenes with that borderline offensive caricature that is Penny. 

Penny is supposed to be a caricature, she is a foil, or a negative foil, as the case may be.

And riding the pig would be a means to an end - I'm sure book Tyrion is being debased to build him up stronger. Dinklage, the actor, if he was a true actor, would not let his personal emotions and or pride get in the way of a role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ummester said:

Penny is supposed to be a caricature, she is a foil, or a negative foil, as the case may be.

And riding the pig would be a means to an end - I'm sure book Tyrion is being debased to build him up stronger. Dinklage, the actor, if he was a true actor, would not let his personal emotions and or pride get in the way of a role.

It's campy and ridiculous, and not in a good way. Oh god, just picturing Dinklage riding a pig is so cringey. 

And a foil doesn't have to be a caricature, those are different terms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

It's campy and ridiculous, and not in a good way. Oh god, just picturing Dinklage riding a pig is so cringey. 

And a foil doesn't have to be a caricature, those are different terms. 

Of course he wouldn't ride a real pig, it would be CG or something. Why would Dinklage riding a pig be any more cringey than the debasement of the dwarfs at Joffrey's wedding?

Think of the debasement the other primary characters have experienced. Dany put up with and fell in love with a rapey husband. Jon got killed for trying to do what is right. Jamie lost his hand. Arya followed darkness to nothingness (not that it makes any sense in the show :D). Sansa has endured a cruel boyfriend and a rapey relationship also. Theon lost his penis. And what has saint Tyrion suffered? Having to ride a pig is still mild compared to the other primary characters.

Yes, I know foil and caricature are different things but I meant a foil does not have to be as complicated as a primary character because their entire purpose as a character is to show the reader something about another character.

Do you think show Tyrion is somehow better than book Tyrion at this point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

They even tried to make Missandei + Greyworm romance a thing... give me a break.

Why not? It’s completely believable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Emmy voters were very, very generous with giving the Emmy to Peter Dinklage in 2015. It was perhaps his weakest Season. This season is worse. Now, if he ends up mounting a Dragon this year, he will win the Emmy again, guarantied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2016 at 11:20 AM, FoyeTwenty Boston said:

For such a pointless filler scene, I was so charmed by the Tyrion/Grey Worm/Missandei drinking scene in this week. Dinklage just kills everything he does, his little mannerisms and subtle body language is spot on and funny. The Grey Worm and Missandei actors are better because of him but they are good as well.

With so much meat and potatoes and posturing for end game being thrown at us from all directions these little seft-contained scenes are nice and refreshing.

 

Seriously?  I thought that scene was terrible, as well as everything else he has done this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The people who all want to claim an inability for some love and affection for Greyworm and Messandi are some fairly soulless lot.

The focus of Greyworm's lack of a penis really strip away the empathy and care are really important for a relationship that are immensely important.

It really make proclamations and declaration of what love is ring immensely hollow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion is that Dinklage is very overrated. I am not saying he is bad, but he is not that good as people make him to be. This season all of his scenes were boring, full of bad lines and bad jokes. I think they are wasting their budget and time on repetitive scenes that do not add anything to the plot. With the series coming to an end soon, I'd like to see meaningful scenes, not Tyrion and his buddies drinking and making dumb jokes. While I am not a Tyrion fan... I think he is a very smart  and complex character. The show does him no justice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

concerning acting, there is nothing special about dinklage. dinklage is a mediocre actor who may surprise people with prejudices of little people. the role of tyrion lannister is just tailored on him and i bet that this is the outstanding role of his life. looking at his other works, there really is nothing special about him. 

about tyrion, since he arrived in meereen, his role made a huge diver. he should have stayed in a brothel, turning down a whore like he did before he was captured by mormont but finally accept, that he cant live without his excessive lifestyle. getting drunk and fucking whores in meereen would be the best thing he could do until at some point greyworm picks him up in a brothel telling him dany wants to see him before she goes back to westeros. just like bran, tyrion should have made a break for one season. the whole meereen episode added nothing to his character and the jokes he had there were barely enough to entertain a fish in a bowl.

now concerning the title of this topic, no dinklage can not make something out of complete nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

11 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

The people who all want to claim an inability for some love and affection for Greyworm and Messandi are some fairly soulless lot.

The focus of Greyworm's lack of a penis really strip away the empathy and care are really important for a relationship that are immensely important.

It really make proclamations and declaration of what love is ring immensely hollow.

The issue is more frustration with so much time spent on this non romance romance, which is by definition, not going to be important to the overall plot, and so far, now we're at 3? seasons and nothing has come of it...so it's filler, and unsatisfying filler at that because it remains a loose unrequited type of love....another weird choice by the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

 

The issue is more frustration with so much time spent on this non romance romance, which is by definition, not going to be important to the overall plot, and so far, now we're at 3? seasons and nothing has come of it...so it's filler, and unsatisfying filler at that because it remains a loose unrequited type of love....another weird choice by the show.

The provided some sort of B-story for the focus will only be Dany.

In a story dealing with slavery it adds a human element.  It provide some independent view of this and will not just be how it affects Dany.

Yeah we are 3 seasons in and the most used and constant negative criticism is that they will not fuck each other, so pointless.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ummester said:

Of course he wouldn't ride a real pig, it would be CG or something. Why would Dinklage riding a pig be any more cringey than the debasement of the dwarfs at Joffrey's wedding?

Think of the debasement the other primary characters have experienced. Dany put up with and fell in love with a rapey husband. Jon got killed for trying to do what is right. Jamie lost his hand. Arya followed darkness to nothingness (not that it makes any sense in the show :D). Sansa has endured a cruel boyfriend and a rapey relationship also. Theon lost his penis. And what has saint Tyrion suffered? Having to ride a pig is still mild compared to the other primary characters.

Yes, I know foil and caricature are different things but I meant a foil does not have to be as complicated as a primary character because their entire purpose as a character is to show the reader something about another character.

Do you think show Tyrion is somehow better than book Tyrion at this point?

I have to agree with GGG on this one. Penny was a pretty poor character and an incredibly obvious writers tool. The whole thing was in fairly bad taste. But, we definitely could have done with some actual bloody character development. He hasn't had any development for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×