Why is Mereen under siege?

StuSeaworth

In the books, the siege of Mereen felt organic and you had a basic understanding for the motivations of the sides.

In the show, I do not feel they provided much reasoning why they are all the sudden under siege. Did I miss some major conversations, or is this siege simply because Tyrion (on behalf on Dany) is trying to cut out slavery over the next seven years?

Because you shouldn't trust a slaver. The masters lulled Tyrion into a fall sense of security.

Now that I think about it, the masters probably agreed to the negotiation meeting to check out the political situation in the city, look for any weaknesses, etc. They saw an overconfident Imp, some useless advisors and no Dany, so they figured it was a good time to attack.

Yeah. Tyrion tried to negotiate a peace and an end to slavery. They went to think about it, but without the dragons around they thought 'Fuck this - we'll just kill them and carry on exactly how we like.' It needs the power of the Mother of Dragons (and her dragons) to pull this off.

What masters? Who are these masters? The masters of Meereen who are supposedly confined to the city that's supposedly guarded by 8000 unsullied who managed to sneak out and all happened to have a ship in their left pockets? The masters of elsewhere who feel the need to waste enormous amounts of resources into liberating a city that's not theirs from a foreign invader who had previously already kicked their arses? 

7 minutes ago, RhaeBee said:

What masters? Who are these masters? The masters of Meereen who are supposedly confined to the city that's supposedly guarded by 8000 unsullied who managed to sneak out and all happened to have a ship in their left pockets? The masters of elsewhere who feel the need to waste enormous amounts of resources into liberating a city that's not theirs from a foreign invader who had previously already kicked their arses? 

The masters of Yunkai, I assume, who do just that in the books as well. 

27 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

The masters of Yunkai, I assume, who do just that in the books as well. 

I don't remember the siege of Meereen from the books at all, so I can't really say if it made sense to me there or not. But just because something is in the books, it's not automatically logical or good - in my most humble opinion. 

16 hours ago, RhaeBee said:

in book volantis pentos,yunkai,astopor,qarth,tolos,elyria,new ghis,mantarys, army of 40k vs meereense force 23k + victorian greyjoy 4k + 2 dragon

1 hour ago, RhaeBee said:

I don't remember the siege of Meereen from the books at all, so I can't really say if it made sense to me there or not. But just because something is in the books, it's not automatically logical or good - in my most humble opinion. 

Most of it happens in the Barristan epilogue that was in some books, or some of the pre-released stuff. 

I'm curious why we don't have Viseryon and Rhaegal joining in yet? Tyrion dragon whisperer released them like five episodes ago. 

3 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Because you shouldn't trust a slaver. The masters lulled Tyrion into a fall sense of security.

Now that I think about it, the masters probably agreed to the negotiation meeting to check out the political situation in the city, look for any weaknesses, etc. They saw an overconfident Imp, some useless advisors and no Dany, so they figured it was a good time to attack.

If you have to honeypot a reason, that is bad writing

Just now, SerMixalot said:

If you have to honeypot a reason, that is bad writing

I'm not honeypotting anything. The first part of my comment is exactly what happened in the show: the slavers told Tyrion they would back off but they didn't keep their word. I don't see what's so complicated about it. 

3 hours ago, StuSeaworth said:

In the books, the siege of Mereen felt organic and you had a basic understanding for the motivations of the sides.

In the show, I do not feel they provided much reasoning why they are all the sudden under siege. Did I miss some major conversations, or is this siege simply because Tyrion (on behalf on Dany) is trying to cut out slavery over the next seven years?

Because they used the deal to lull Mereen into a false sense of security. That way their guard would be down and they would be unprepared for the attack when it came. The slavers never had any intention of honoring the deal they made with Tyrion, they were just buying time to prepare their forces.

1 hour ago, blckp said:

in book volantis pentos,yunkai,astopor,qarth,tolos,elyria,new ghis,mantarys, army of 40k vs meereense force 23k + victorian greyjoy 4k + 2 dragon

The slavers had things like regiments of guys who fought on stilts and stupid stuff like that. Plus they changed their generals on a daily basis according to a rotation and whose turn it was. They were basically an armed circus, and never had a snowballs hope in hell of winning.

1 hour ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I'm not honeypotting anything. The first part of my comment is exactly what happened in the show: the slavers told Tyrion they would back off but they didn't keep their word. I don't see what's so complicated about it. 

then you wouldn't mind linking to something that shows the slavers were luring Tyrion into a false sense of security, cause I don't remember it

19 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

then you wouldn't mind linking to something that shows the slavers were luring Tyrion into a false sense of security, cause I don't remember it

"They will use you, that is what they do"

Greyworm to Tyrion, episode 4

5 hours ago, ssls6 said:

Simple...the master's sensed weakness without Dany around.  It was the perfect time to remove the foreigners who demanded they end their way of life.

But what is the weakness? Has the cities defenses or status changed at all since Dany left? It seems strange they would see one of the three dragons being gone as such a large opportunity. 

Part of the reason why Mereen is under siege, is because it clearly shows that Tyrion isn't always right, and doesn't always get his way. 

His truce with the masters was an icy one, and he was warned repeatedly by both Missandei and Grey Worm. 

I think we can clearly understand WHY the masters are upset at Dany / Mereen, but putting it under siege seems.... ridiculous. 

Surely the better way to try and get what they want, is to continue the ghorilla harpy attacks ? Weren't those attacks the very reason Tyrion tried to negotiate / sue for peace in the first place? Because the masters were winning?

I neither understand nor buy the arguments that the attack is somehow Tyrion's fault for getting used or played by the slavers or showing them weakness or some other nonsense.

The slavers would have attacked regardless.

They didn't need Tyrion to show them Dany was gone.  They didn't need Tyrion to show them Drogon was gone.  They didn't need Tyrion to show them the fleet was gone.

They would have already known all of this.  They had the Sons of the Harpy.

Luring Tyrion into a false sense of security would have absolutely no effect because there would be nothing he could do against their attack.  He has no ships.

And their meeting didn't buy them time to prepare their forces either; they would have been doing that anyway.  It's not like Dany would have had the reach or resources to truly stop them, even if she were still in the city.

Nothing was Tyrion's fault here.

The main thing I took away from this is that the Slavers lied to Tyrion early in the season when he met with them, just as Grey Worm and Missandei warned.  It does seem as if the show is trying to show Tyrion a little out of his element here, and maybe creating conflict to end the season between Tyrion and Dany.   

Does it make perfect sense that the Slavers would attack at that exact moment?  No, but I think it makes enough sense to work, especially compared to some of the other things we see on the show ;).

Archived