Why is Mereen under siege?

StuSeaworth

8 hours ago, tugela said:

Of course it was defensible. They could have mounted trebuchets on the walls, prepared fire ships, any thing of that sort to defend the harbor.

If the ships could fire into the city, the city could fire back, and fire back more effectively since they would have the higher ground.

By obtaining "peace", defensive preparations were not made, and that is what allowed the slavers to sail into the harbor and start bombarding the city unopposed.

Obtaining "peace" and making defensive preparations are not mutually exclusive, and I saw no evidence that Tyrion was neglecting the city's defense.  If the show wants me to believe that he was, then maybe it should have replaced the awkward drinking/joke scenes between Tyrion, Missandei, and Grey Worm with scenes of those characters discussing how to allocate the city's resources.

1 hour ago, Frejac said:

Obtaining "peace" and making defensive preparations are not mutually exclusive, and I saw no evidence that Tyrion was neglecting the city's defense.  If the show wants me to believe that he was, then maybe it should have replaced the awkward drinking/joke scenes between Tyrion, Missandei, and Grey Worm with scenes of those characters discussing how to allocate the city's resources.

I didn't like any of the drinking scenes, but its clear they were being used to show Tyrions arrogance and complacency, that he thought he'd got a period of grace and a number of years to sort things out, so wasn't really bothered about defending the city.

I guess we'll just disagree on this one (which is fine, btw, INTERNET!)  For me to buy that the fault for this lies at Tyrion's feet, I needed to be shown his peace time actions in some way.  His treaty freed up his thousands of Unsullied soldiers (they are the greatest in the world, right?) to properly defend the city from external threats.  It is more likely they were shoring up those defense than they were sitting around playing tiddly winks. We don't know, because we never saw them doing anything.  Simply replacing one cock joke with this:

Greyworm: Why are my soldiers rebuilding the grand market roof?

Tyrion: Trade is essential for the city to survive, no grand market, no trade. <slurp>

GW: They need to be reinforcing the walls, rebuilding our defenses.

Tyrion: <slurp>  Once the roof is finished...

Now Tyrion has to eat this.

7 hours ago, Ice Spider said:

not catapults, quite clearly trebuchets.

Oh wow.  You're absolutely right.  I didn't even pay attention to the way those projectiles were arcing.  

Ahahahahaha.  That's so ridiculous!  You use a trebuchet  to hurl projectiles at high velocity, usually for the purpose of breaking stone fortifications or launching lighter loads long range.  But to do that, a trebuchet needs a significant counter balance that is going to cause the ship to list.   When it fires, that weight gets to swing with a lot of force the other way, which again, will tip the boat, threaten to sink the ship, and will be wildly inaccurate to boot.  Catapults made sense because they're smaller,  lighter weight, and don't require a heavy counter-weight.  

Well... it is just a quick scene.  Most people won't even notice nor understand that this isn't very practical, but wow.  

10 minutes ago, Apathetic Onlooker said:

Oh wow.  You're absolutely right.  I didn't even pay attention to the way those projectiles were arcing.  

Ahahahahaha.  That's so ridiculous!  You use a trebuchet  to hurl projectiles at high velocity, usually for the purpose of breaking stone fortifications or launching lighter loads long range.  But to do that, a trebuchet needs a significant counter balance that is going to cause the ship to list.   When it fires, that weight gets to swing with a lot of force the other way, which again, will tip the boat, threaten to sink the ship, and will be wildly inaccurate to boot.  Catapults made sense because they're smaller,  lighter weight, and don't require a heavy counter-weight.  

Well... it is just a quick scene.  Most people won't even notice nor understand that this isn't very practical, but wow.  

Had a quick look and there are examples of naval trebuchets throughout history, so it does seem possible. I think they'd probably need to anchor up and there would obvs need to be technical considerations for the counterweight.

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Had a quick look and there are examples of naval trebuchets throughout history, so it does seem possible. I think they'd probably need to anchor up and there would obvs need to be technical considerations for the counterweight.

Truly?  As I recall, the Roman catapult ships weren't all that useful though they had them.  But I never heard of trebuchets being placed on ships.  That's a surprise to me.  

The only known designs that I can find are of Chinese Origin, massive 4 story ships, and even those were traction (not counterbalance) trebuchets. There is debate as to if they were ever built. If anyone has any links to any other ship mounted trebuchets I would like to see them.

I really want to know where the other  2 dragons are/have been since tyrion freed them. At the end of of this episode I was all excited thinking they were finally going to get to do something awesome instead of just drogon, they would be defending the city. But no once again it's just Dany and drogon. What's the point of having 3 dragons and only ever using 2. 

On June 15, 2016 at 6:06 PM, nymeria_2321 said:

I really want to know where the other  2 dragons are/have been since tyrion freed them. At the end of of this episode I was all excited thinking they were finally going to get to do something awesome instead of just drogon, they would be defending the city. But no once again it's just Dany and drogon. What's the point of having 3 dragons and only ever using 2. 

They're still locked in the "basement" of the pyramid. They were unchained but never freed. 

i.i

Mereen is under siege because of Tyrion.

He dealt with the slavers as if he was in Westeros and from the position of someone who needs peace. Leaving aside the fact that these arrogant slavers are dealing with a former-slave dwarf who claims to be richer than all of them (an insult that Tyrion barely realises he´s made since he´s just talking like a westerosi would expect a Lannister to) - he, in the representation of Daenerys, went from zero tolerance towards slavery to a seven years-long treaty and gift-women. That´s a clear demonstration of weakness from someone who has Dragons.

We need to remember the slavers don´t have Mereen´s POV. Why didn´t they attack before? Because the last thing they knew was that Mereen was led by a pyromancer dragon queen who used power plays to conquer cities. They must had been terrified in the journey there, because people with a thing for power plays tend to take advantage of the fact that several representatives of their enemies are undefended within your walls. But Tyrion treats them like equals, like they are not the enemy.

From the slavers point of view, Mereen went from being led by a conqueror queen to being led by a weak, pompous Dwarf. If he had threatented  them, played hardball, fed one of them to the dragons, the negotiations and consequences would be different. Maybe feeding one of them to a dragon would cause war nonetheless, but the simple use of a large fire-breathing lizard would have reminded them why exactly they didn´t want to sail a bunch of wood ships nearby Mereen.

Tyrion doesn´t even mention the dragons. For all the slavers know, only Daenarys can use them and she´s not around.

On 6/17/2016 at 11:00 PM, GravyFace said:

They're still locked in the "basement" of the pyramid. They were unchained but never freed. 

No, no, I believe you are mistaken, they are taking a nap at the foot of Tyrion's bed, they are sure to show up once their alarm clock goes off at plot o'clock.

4 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

Well, it established that even a couple of ferocious man eating dragons are unable to resist Tyrion's wit and wisdom.

I'm just surprised that Tyrion did not have a shot at the Dragons for "having no cock" ha ha. Ha aagghhh Tyrion, he missed an opportunity there for an awesome cock joke!

19 minutes ago, Neds Secret said:

I'm just surprised that Tyrion did not have a shot at the Dragons for "having no cock" ha ha. Ha aagghhh Tyrion, he missed an opportunity there for an awesome cock joke!

Oh!! but of all the missed opportunities that are lamented over, this is by far the most egregious one I have heard!

Shame d$d, for shame!!!

8 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

Oh!! but of all the missed opportunities that are over, this is by far the most egregious one I have heard!

Shame d$d, for shame!!!

It's not all over for them yet, perhaps Euron will be able to subdue the dragons by pointing out what a huge cock he has and watching  Viserion and Rhaegal bow down in shame! Euron won the Kingsmoot with this strategy, if it placated the Ironborn why not 2 teenage dragons, Tyrion knew how to control them, they would be no hope against Eurons cock jokes!

8 minutes ago, Neds Secret said:

It's not all over for them yet, perhaps Euron will be able to subdue the dragons by pointing out what a huge cock he has and watching the Viserion and Rhaegal now down in shame! Euron won the Kingsmoot with this strategy, if it placated the Ironborn why not 2 teenage dragons, Tyrion knew how to control them, they would be no hope against Eurons cock jokes!

:lol: 

Oh man, you just gave me a scary thought, Ramsey's and his 20 good men, a family of sassy bastards from Dorne with bad pussy, led by Euron and an arsenal of Cock jokes = An unstoppable army of kin slayers capable of decimating all of Planetos. The fate of the Seven Kingdoms is DOOMED!!! 

Archived