How would you use Wun Wun in battle?

First let me disclose one thing. I have zero expectations that they will do anything in the show other than have Wun Wun as an infantry man fighting in the middle of the crowd. Here is to discuss how would you use this formidable weapon in the battle.

I would not use Wun Wun as an infantry. Only as the last resource. He is too an easy target because of his size and a valuable one. To me the best use would be as almost as a "mobile trebuchet". Wun Wun could be great as throwing big rocks, and tree logs,  being a great artillery piece. In this case he would also be protected and could be used over and over again. 

and you?

If I were Jon, I would at least give him a giant shield to carry to deflect arrows. Also give him a huge flaming tree and some boulders and I would think Wun Wun alone could take out a large section of Ramsay's forces.

Intimidation factor definitely goes to Team Stark - 1 giant, 1 direwolf and 1 red priestess. And 1 Lady Mormont. 

Archery & throw boulders at Ramsay when they are at a distance not to fire back.

Wield a massive sword & spin around slicing men in half by the hundreds.

He could carry a few of the best archers on his back in a basket.

As a massive shield for the men behind (like Roman Tortoise)

Take down the door like at castle black.

If he falls then he is a natural barricade for the remaining men.

In battle he could do like a hammer throw wind up technique (without the release) with a massive steel ball at the end of a long steel barbed wire with accentuated barbed bits. He would need a good supply of these wired hammer throws for when they get stuck. Net/trap all the enemy up together in the wire & the little men can finish them off.

6 hours ago, King Louis II (KLII) said:

First let me disclose one thing. I have zero expectations that they will do anything in the show other than have Wun Wun as an infantry man fighting in the middle of the crowd. Here is to discuss how would you use this formidable weapon in the battle.

I would not use Wun Wun as an infantry. Only as the last resource. He is too an easy target because of his size and a valuable one. To me the best use would be as almost as a "mobile trebuchet". Wun Wun could be great as throwing big rocks, and tree logs,  being a great artillery piece. In this case he would also be protected and could be used over and over again. 

and you?

First Problem here is that Wun Wun has his own mind so that might limit the options.

If we presume that Wun Wun is human being only larger simply throwing rocks would not work that well. Have you ever thrown stones of a reasonable size for half an hour some dozen meters wide? He will get tired rather soon. I would build him a giant crossbow with giant arrows. Hence his size he could fire from behind over the battlefield in the midst of the enemy. He could even try to aim at Ramsey or other commanders. Imagine the leader of an army gets hit by an arrow of the size of a little tree. Now that should shake the moral of the force.

I think I'd try to use him as a battering ram. I'd give him a huge shield of tree trunks and make him run against the enemy to break their formation, with all my infantry running behind to come into the gap.

I'm not too convinced that having him toss boulders is his best bet.  To me, he will have to get closer to Ramsay's archers and they can probably shoot their arrows further than he can throw boulders.  I like the idea of giving him a huge shield to block arrows and get him up close with his allies and attacking at the same time with other infantry.  This will force Ramsay's army to not just focus on him, but all of the other men allowing him to live longer and do more damage.

I would start out using him as a long distance weapon, as mentioned, throwing or slinging boulders. Using a sling type device will not tire him out much. Have him focus his attack in certain areas so our army can penetrate that area.

Then have him come in with basically tree trunks swatting away the Bolton flies.

You would have to get him some type of armor/mesh protection for his chest/abdomen and his legs though.

Not to be a Debbie downer but I expect Wun Wun to die in the battle.

Yeah his best use is as a highly accurate trebuchet. He can bowl boulders right through shield walls, crushing the enemy defenses. 

Another tactic would be to have him flank the enemy once engaged and simply take out their leadership from behind. 

I wouldnt use him at all in battle.  I'd send him and 20 good (bear)men to storm the gates of Winterfell from the south as the bulk of the Stark Army marches from the north.  Ramsay and his forces meet the Stark Army in a full display of force, leaving Winterfell scarcely guarded, and definitely not prepared for a Giant knocking down a freshly built gate.  The Winterfell patrols sound the horns, which forces Ramsay to divert troops back to Winterfell, add the possibility of Knights of the Vale arriving from the south, and now Ramsay, for the first time, is outmanned, surrounded, with no castle to retreat into.  He isn't a capable and calculating leader, and his men abandon him, much like Stannis.

It's also been admitted by the Boltons and Karstarks that Jon, having grown up in Winterfell, knows the castle better than any of them ever will.  Even if the ambush wasnt a straight forward knocking down of the gate, I'm sure he could find a back door to exploit.  We saw how intimidated the men of the Nights Watch were behind a 700 ft wall of ice, and 3 inch thick gates of "cold rolled steel," when giants were attempting their siege, and how effective just 1 giant can be in both Mance's raid, as well as Hardhome with Wun Wun taking on a seemingly endless number of undead forces. 

7 hours ago, Hodor's Aunt said:

If we presume that Wun Wun is human being only larger simply throwing rocks would not work that well. Have you ever thrown stones of a reasonable size for half an hour some dozen meters wide? He will get tired rather soon. I would build him a giant crossbow with giant arrows. Hence his size he could fire from behind over the battlefield in the midst of the enemy. He could even try to aim at Ramsey or other commanders. Imagine the leader of an army gets hit by an arrow of the size of a little tree. Now that should shake the moral of the force.

Second this. In Battle of the Wall, a giant was already using a bow an arrow and taking out NW on the top of the wall. So, Wun Wun should be somewhat capable of making or knowing basic structure of making a bow he can use. Then having him shoot straight at a target a couple hundred yards away will have a domino effect that keeps going until it hits something or loses force. Wun Wun has decent protection it seems with his current outfit. So toss a helmet on that guy and most arrows or weapons will simply feel like a pinch. (I say this because we've only seen two giants die, 1. by a giant steel catapult firing an arrow into his back with enough momentum to literally destroy a human 2. in the tunnel, in close quarters with 5 men, while trying to get through a steel wall). Lastly, give him a giant tree branch or something similar and when it calls for it let him sweep it from left to right like he did at Hardhome.

20 minutes ago, TinfoilToolate said:

I wouldnt use him at all in battle.  I'd send him and 20 good (bear)men to storm the gates of Winterfell from the south as the bulk of the Stark Army marches from the north.  Ramsay and his forces meet the Stark Army in a full display of force, leaving Winterfell scarcely guarded, and definitely not prepared for a Giant knocking down a freshly built gate.

Yeah i think Wun Wun would be most effective infiltrating the castle walls and holding it down from there. He's too prone to arrows/harpoons in open battle. Taking down an 18 foot giant that has castles walls to protect him would be much harder.

14 hours ago, King Louis II (KLII) said:

and you?

They need a lot of equipment to take Winterfell. I would make WunWun some kind of armor to protect his back, chest and head. i would build trebuchets, and place men in strategic positions to defend them. Then I would use the trebuchets to hopefully knock down enemy archers, that would open the way for a cavalry charge. If infantry can push to the wall behind the cavalry, then the giant would be invaluable in taking the wall, and helping men over it. He would go over last. Give him a massive cudgel, and I think knights would just be crushed like tin cans.

Also take into account that Jon and Sansa know that castle better than the Boltons. There may be able to sneak forces in for a surprise attack that could be coordinated with storming the walls. Creating a distraction that might allow WunWun to get fighters over the wall.

Archived