Match Day 5: Austria vs Hungry, Portugal vs Iceland

28 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Ronaldo after the match:

"They celebrated like they had won the Euro cup or something. That's a small mentality. That's why they'll do nothing."

Classy.

Like I said, I knew my dislike of him was justified. What an asshole.

48 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Ronaldo after the match:

"They celebrated like they had won the Euro cup or something. That's a small mentality. That's why they'll do nothing."

Classy.

Never had a problem with him until now, but that's such an asshole move

4 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Ronaldo after the match:

Classy.

Well you saw what a whiny bitch he quickly became when things were not going his way.

13 hours ago, The Killer Snark said:

Looking forward now to watching Ronaldo insist on taking every shot himself, from outside the box, and firing them way past the post just like he did when Portugal crashed out the Euros last time.

Here's an interesting link to shot chart for players in these Euros.

If you select to see Ronaldo's shots against Iceland, you'll see he's taken 10 of them, only 2 from inside the box, 6 of them blocked, 3 of them wide and 1 saved.

10 hours ago, Kăir Popescu said:

Am I to understand the Hungarian keeper was playing in sweatpants?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGpQUxOgw8S/?r=409613535

I don't think there's a rule against it. Ivica Kralj, goalkeeper for Yugoslavia in late '90s and early 2000s used to wear sweatpants all the time.

4 hours ago, Korvín-Corvinus said:

Well you saw what a whiny bitch he quickly became when things were not going his way.

It's not as if that came as a surprise, is it?

Look, football is a drama and CRonaldo is the villain, the one we all love to hate. So yeah, we hate him but we enjoy doing it. The bitterness in his comment is hilarious and wonderfully ironic, quality entertainment value. Top marks to CRonaldo for that. :P

2 hours ago, Criston of House Shapper said:

Oh, stop all the Ronaldo hate, it's so pathetic.

I try not to be mean to Ronaldo because I'm convinced he's got some sort of mental problem or personality disorder, or some sort of weird condition. I don't think it's his fault anyway.

12 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Ronaldo after the match:

Classy.

You'd think he'd lost the Euro cup finals. He won't win fans with that mentality.

6 hours ago, baxusz said:

I don't think there's a rule against it. Ivica Kralj, goalkeeper for Yugoslavia in late '90s and early 2000s used to wear sweatpants all the time.

Oh, I was struck by the aesthetics of it. I didn't see the match but in that photo he looks like the keeper for the local pub team. More power to him!

5 hours ago, Emre Mor-mont said:

Look, football is a drama and CRonaldo is the villain, the one we all love to hate. So yeah, we hate him but we enjoy doing it. The bitterness in his comment is hilarious and wonderfully ironic, quality entertainment value. Top marks to CRonaldo for that. :P

I always enjoy the villains more anyway. :devil:

Ronaldo is just low-hanging fruit, so piling on him for every douchey comment he makes just comes across like whining. He's very entertaining and probably the best player at this point, which is one of the reasons why he attracts so much hate. I will definitely miss him when he retires in a couple of years.

4 minutes ago, Criston of House Shapper said:

I always enjoy the villains more anyway. :devil:

Ronaldo is just low-hanging fruit, so piling on him for every douchey comment he makes just comes across like whining. He's very entertaining and probably the best player at this point, which is one of the reasons why he attracts so much hate. I will definitely miss him when he retires in a couple of years.

I'm not so sure he's the best player at the moment. There are some valid points for saying he is, but the same can be said for Messi and even Suarez.

Every great player is missed after retiring, and CRonaldo certainly won't be an exception.

Re: Ronaldo:

I think it's funny that we expect footballers to be like 'normal' people in any way.  Usually, if a footballer can string a few words into a coherent sentence, I'm impressed.  Humility, grace...these do not come easily to anyone, let alone someone whose entire sense of self is constructed around a singular focus, especially  someone who has been so consistently excellent at that one thing for so long. 

He keeps not being a leader or a (good) captain for his national side, though. If you want to be counted among the greatest, you've got to at least deliver personally in international tournaments. Cronaldo is most definitely not doing that. I still remember him being too embarrassed/much of a shit to celebrate the goal he scored off his back against North Korea. The guy is a graceless, egotistical, megalomaniac prick, and I feel no compulsion to like or respect him because he's good at football.

He's so unlikeable that I derive a lot of petty schadenfreude from the fact that he has mostly been in Messi's shadow throughout his career, and especially since you can see how much it bugs him. 

Archived