Faceless men history turned on its head

rs1n

The whole T-1000 chase through town was so cheesy that when the waif jumped over that produce cart, I was actually surprised they didn't do some matrix style slow mo right there and have the stone walkway crack where she landed.

30 minutes ago, Future Null Infinity said:

My friend, not so hard on me :D, I'm not a book reader, I don't know the real rules of the FM, it's what I understood, but yes, pedo Jaquen (who don't give a damn about anything) and crazy Waif are the weirdos of braavos

hahaha oh man, so sorry. They never talk about the origin of the FM in the show? I haven't seen seasons 1-3 in a good while. I figured they at least gave some background on the many face god, the gift of death and the slaves who were crying out to different gods in different languages but the first FM who realized they were all crying out to the same god, death, and gave the gift.

I could be wrong, but I really feel it was in the show. I might just be mixing it in my head though. If so, many pardons.

Yes, with no background the FM would def seem like a bunch of really weird people. lol

6 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

hahaha oh man, so sorry. They never talk about the origin of the FM in the show? I haven't seen seasons 1-3 in a good while. I figured they at least gave some background on the many face god, the gift of death and the slaves who were crying out to different gods in different languages but the first FM who realized they were all crying out to the same god, death, and gave the gift.

there is the history of FM in the show, I was speaking about the rules in the life of a faceless man and how the HofBW works, there is almost nothing about it in the show

4 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

I could be wrong, but I really feel it was in the show. I might just be mixing it in my head though. If so, many pardons.

I think it was mentioned once that they are expensive assassins for hire in earlier seasons, and Jaquen gave a short, vaguely book-like origin story a few eposides ago.

14 minutes ago, Net-Viper X said:

The whole T-1000 chase through town was so cheesy that when the waif jumped over that produce cart, I was actually surprised they didn't do some matrix style slow mo right there and have the stone walkway crack where she landed.

That was so bad. So much for the subtlety and stealth of actual assassins if you're just stampeding through town, knocking over fruit baskets. 

I thought Arya running from a death cult of shapeshifting assassins would be way more entertaining than what we got. They made it look like an average episode of a random CBS procedural. 

4 minutes ago, Rhollo said:

I think it was mentioned once that they are expensive assassins for hire in earlier seasons, and Jaquen gave a short, vaguely book-like origin story a few eposides ago.

so, not knowing the books, a show watcher is left to think that it is just two assassins in some freaky building in the middle of braavos which you can hand a coin to someone and they will just take you there and people can go there and commit suicide while they train 10 year old girls how to be ninjas? Man that is really freaking bad writing.

The thing that bothers me is that when a person compares something in the show negatively to the book you get a barrage of "they are two universes" whereas the show has no problem relying on the assumption that the viewer has read the source material so they can make lazy shortcuts like this.

Not that this poster did that at all. this one was my bad for not realizing the show didn't flesh this out even a little....but wow, just wow

3 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

That was so bad. So much for the subtlety and stealth of actual assassins if you're just stampeding through town, knocking over fruit baskets.

Man, did you forget the fear of the ship's captain when Arya showed him the coin of jaquen! the FM can do whatever they like in Braavos, they own the city by fear and death, Jaquen is the godfather

1 minute ago, Future Null Infinity said:

Man, did you forget the fear of the ship's captain when Arya showed him the coin of jaquen! the FM can do whatever they like in Braavos, they own the city by fear and death, Jaquen is the godfather

right...if the mob only had one person...that person had a bobcut and, despite stabbing a little girl multiple times in the stomach and even twisting the knife in failed to kill them......and also didn't pay attention during fighting in the dark classes. So pretty much the gang who couldn't shoot straight.

I always thought it was interesting in the books that the boat had a mixed reaction to Arya having that coin. Some seemed to want to buddy up to her and others seemed to shun her. Makes me think that when JH says "hand this coin to any man of braavos...." he was overestimating the public opinion

3 minutes ago, Future Null Infinity said:

I didn't see no horses' heads in the Hall of Faces. 

Jaqen is more like Mr Big from Zootopia, for all the fear he inspires. 

5 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I didn't see no horses' heads in the Hall of Faces. 

Jaqen is more like Mr Big from Zootopia, for all the fear he inspires. 

FM is 6 years of confusion for me and I need a simple explanation from a book reader, why in the hell the most powerful assassins' organization in the world have only two members : jaquen and my Waif-U? are they in financial crisis or something?

7 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

right...if the mob only had one person...that person had a bobcut and, despite stabbing a little girl multiple times in the stomach and even twisting the knife in failed to kill them......and also didn't pay attention during fighting in the dark classes. So pretty much the gang who couldn't shoot straight.

I always thought it was interesting in the books that the boat had a mixed reaction to Arya having that coin. Some seemed to want to buddy up to her and others seemed to shun her. Makes me think that when JH says "hand this coin to any man of braavos...." he was overestimating the public opinion

He takes the coin and gives the cabin though, I took the mixed reaction to mean that some people were afraid of them, so, don't want to get involved at all, keep them at arm's length, and some people figured, since they're powerful, I'll try to ingratiate myself with them in case that can ever be useful for me in the future.

But, the FM are all about discretion.  This is why they don't simply go out, run through the streets and knife you in public.  In the books, they take much care that the deaths aren't even offcially assassinations.  Balon 'fell off' the bridge, ahem.  The insurance guy is poisoned but it looks like a heart attack. Everything about the FM is subtle. 

Bobcut running through the streets of Braavos chasing Arya with a knife, after she already stabbed her in broad daylight on a bridge and then Arya staggered through the streets....I mean if she's supposed to be worst ever FM who can't follow rule #1, #2 or #3....

2 minutes ago, Future Null Infinity said:

FM is 6 years of confusion for me and I need a simple explanation from a book reader, why in the hell the most powerful assassins' organization in the world have only two members : jaquen and my Waif-U? are they in financial crisis or something?

The economy, bruh, it's all Obama's fault. We have to bring back those assassin jobs from China and Mexico. 

Seriously, though, that's just show thing. In the books they have like these monthly meetings where a bunch of Faceless Men go to the temple and go over a list of potential targets, picking and choosing. 

Just now, Cas Stark said:

He takes the coin and gives the cabin though, I took the mixed reaction to mean that some people were afraid of them, so, don't want to get involved at all, keep them at arm's length, and some people figured, since they're powerful, I'll try to ingratiate myself with them in case that can ever be useful for me in the future.

Both of these reactions strike me as correct. I would need to re-read the section though. I feel like there was more than just fear and sucking up. I think there was some who found it distasteful. I am in the middle of a re-read now so I will pay special attention when I get to that trip to Braavos and report back.

But, the FM are all about discretion.  This is why they don't simply go out, run through the streets and knife you in public.  In the books, they take much care that the deaths aren't even offcially assassinations.  Balon 'fell off' the bridge, ahem.  The insurance guy is poisoned but it looks like a heart attack. Everything about the FM is subtle. 

Yes, this is true. Middle of the day bobcuterminator jumping over fruit would not fit. ANd yes, they give gifts and take donations...not assassinate people the way the sorrowful men (Is that what they are called?) of Qarth do. And yes, when death comes you never know if they were even assassinated there is always reasonable assumption that it just happened which is why it is so good to hire them.

Bobcut running through the streets of Braavos chasing Arya with a knife, after she already stabbed her in broad daylight on a bridge and then Arya staggered through the streets....I mean if she's supposed to be worst ever FM who can't follow rule #1, #2 or #3....

Yeah, bobcut just needs to be forgotten.

4 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Seriously, though, that's just show thing. In the books they have like these monthly meetings where a bunch of Faceless Men go to the temple and go over a list of potential targets, picking and choosing. 

thank you for the answer :thumbsup: .Yeah, scrum methodology faceless men style

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

You can't run an assassin organization if you don't care if anyone hits their assigned target or not, just as long as somebody dies.  How would the FM have achieved a worldwide reputation if they ran things on that basis?  

Yes, this. The actress with the incredible breasts who "paid a price" to have Lady Crane murdered says "Hey give me my money back, you didn't assassinate the mark I gave you." Jaqen "Oh hey, a girl, no worries, we got you - a different gift has been given to the Many Faced God." and she accepts that and moves on and the Faceless Men maintain their reputation as the best and most reliable assassins in the world.

50 minutes ago, Rhollo said:

Yes. King Robert and his small council discuss the possibility of hiring a FM to kill Dany when they find out she's being married to the Dothraki Khal, if I'm not mistaken.

40 minutes ago, Ser Hyle said:

Yes, this. The actress with the incredible breasts who "paid a price" to have Lady Crane murdered says "Hey give me my money back, you didn't assassinate the mark I gave you." Jaqen "Oh hey, a girl, no worries, we got you - a different gift has been given to the Many Faced God." and she accepts that and moves on and the Faceless Men maintain their reputation as the best and most reliable assassins in the world.

Bingo...and really well said. In fact, have we seen the FM (on the show) make good on one single contract?

Oh faceless men, here is my life savings, this lunatic is trying to kill me and my family and I need him dead

a man will die

whew

er faceless men that guy just killed my wife and daughter

yes....but the guy from the corner spicy locust stand is dead and his face hangs in the HoBaW

40 minutes ago, Ser Hyle said:

Yes. King Robert and his small council discuss the possibility of hiring a FM to kill Dany when they find out she's being married to the Dothraki Khal, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes. Littlefinger says that it would cost as much to hire a faceless man to kill a merchant as it would to hire an entire army of sellswords. We are lead to believe that while a merchant would cost the same as an army killing someone like the last living targayran would be exponentially more expensive.

My guess is that every time they get a contract they just go out and kill whomever is walking by and say that the red god has been satisfied.

1 hour ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

The economy, bruh, it's all Obama's fault. We have to bring back those assassin jobs from China and Mexico. 

The monthly Faceless Man AA meeting with the squinter and the handsome man etc(that Arya spies while sneaking around) is, imo, going to be the fulcrum on which the entire story balances on.

4 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:

According to Jaquen, the FM even founded Braavos.

Maybe they are actually some kind of washed-up celebrities and the Braavosi people let them live on in their illusions of past fame while enjoying their antics as a form of weird entertainment. Arya vs. Waif were actually contestants in a reality show.

And the Ship's captain wasn't afraid, he was excited, because "Braavos' next ninja assassin" is his sons favourite programme.

Archived