Why Didn't Jon and Sansa Travel to the Neck?

The crannogmen aren't much use outside of the neck anyway. They are rather small, they don't wear armor, not good with horses...

Their skills lie in green lore, poisons and hiding in bogs where they are very difficult to get at. Best to use them as a shield, along with MC, to prevent southron incursion into the north.

On 6/15/2016 at 11:15 AM, Darksky said:

First of all, why would they? Did House Reed's army fight alongside King Robb in the WotFK? No.

Second of all, that damn 'moving' castle which is hard to find in those swamps. 

A sure waste of precious time.

Popular misconception. The crannogmen fought alongside Robb:

"He must march soon, or not at all," Maester Luwin said. "The winter town is full to bursting, and this army of his will eat the countryside clean if it camps here much longer. Others are waiting to join him all along the kingsroad, barrow knights and crannogmen and the Lords Manderly and Flint. The fighting has begun in the riverlands, and your brother has many leagues to go." -Bran VI

And of course, Robb recognized they were more valuable as a defensive force:

"If he comes so far, but no one thinks he will," Robb said. "I've sent word to Howland Reed, Father's old friend at Greywater Watch. If the Lannisters come up the Neck, the crannogmen will bleed them every step of the way" - Catelynn VIII

edit: forgot I was in the show forum for a minute. May have played out differently.

5 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

The crannogmen aren't much use outside of the neck anyway. They are rather small, they don't wear armor, not good with horses...

Their skills lie in green lore, poisons and hiding in bogs where they are very difficult to get at. Best to use them as a shield, along with MC, to prevent southron incursion into the north.

They are some use as Howland helped kill Arthur Dayne :^)

In the books, I believe the Crannogmen were to meet Robb as he headed south, not that this is really here or there.  Also, Rickon is being held, which appears to be the rush to "fight with the men we have."

21 hours ago, Jedi Renee said:

They are some use as Howland helped kill Arthur Dayne :^)

Yes, as one guy who stabbed the greatest living swordsman in the back, he was very helpful. As an organized fighting force taking the field against heavy horse and armored fighting men? No

On 6/15/2016 at 10:12 PM, rivers snow said:

I thought the same. When Ned called his banners, Howland was with him to the end. When Robb called his, Howland sent his two kids.

Book Jon would know this...

But they don't have any troops and Jon and Sansa are looking for soldiers.  Why would they waste they're time asking Howland for something he doesn't have?

4 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

Yes, as one guy who stabbed the greatest living swordsman in the back, he was very helpful. As an organized fighting force taking the field against heavy horse and armored fighting men? No

If Howland didn't do that Ned wouldn't have survived. He probably saw it as the best option.  Sure it wasn't honorable but it worked 

For the same reason that the Mountain Clans haven't been mentioned, the Umbers act out of character and join the Boltons, the Glovers are sitting out and doing nothing, the Mormonts can only gather 62 men, the Manderlys haven't even been mentioned and all of these people sat out Stannis' campaign despite Roose Bolton warning his son that the Bolton hold on the North was tenuous.

Bad Writing.

Bad Writing purposefully set in place to have Ramsey have the advantage over Jon until LF comes in to save the day.

I hope I'm wrong on the above, but I'm not holding out more than an iota of hope at this point.

I honestly think the reason they dont have the Crannogmen and have the Umbers facing Jon is casue of money. Why pay for Smalljon Umber in season 7, when we already have Tormund filling the role of boisterous and bearded badass supporting Jon? At least thats what I think D&D believe.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 6:38 PM, Jedi Renee said:

If Howland didn't do that Ned wouldn't have survived. He probably saw it as the best option.  Sure it wasn't honorable but it worked 

OK, but that's not what I'm talking about. This thread asks why Jon and Sansa didn't go to the Neck to rally the crannogmen. Regardless of what Howland did at the ToJ, the fact is that a crannog fighting force is all but useless outside the neck. The crannogmen's strength is in their ability to hide in their native environment and whittle down an occupying force. You can't hide in an open battlefield, and frog spears are no match for swords and lances, especially when you don't have any armor. One crannogman can help in a limited fight, but 300 crannogmen are just worm food when you're being ridden down by heavy horse.

Plus, it would have taken too long just to ride down to the neck, let alone find HR without falling into quicksand or getting eaten by a lizard lion, and then march (because crannogs don't have horses) all the way back to Winterfell. The North is big, and winter is coming. 

I am not aware of any evidence in the books or show that the Crannogmen field an army or possess equipment or skills that would be effective in the battle Jon was waging. On the contrary, Meera's story of the mystery knight emphasizes that Crannogmen don't train as others do, and that Howland was unusual in this regard. The only military use they have ever been noted to have is essentially guerrila warfare. 

I think it's possible we will learn in the books that there are more of them than we suspect, and that they are perhaps more formidable than we expect. But Jon and others have no apparent reason to think they could provide any appreciable support in a pitched battle. 

You have to go past Winterfell towards the south and cross the entire North to reach the Neck. They would probably be attacked or would have been able to get there because on the snowstorms and provions they don't have for the whole army.

Its a logistical nightmare.

It makes perfect sense they didnt go there.

The Mormonts and the Glovers are North of Winterfell closer to the wall it makes sense they travelled there.

Also the crannogmen are small thin and only fight in the swamp with poison arrows spears and nets. they excel in their enviroment. They arent knights.

• 3 months later...

Well first you would need to navigate the Neck. Which is the single most dangerous area in the North due to the flora, fauna and terrain. Then you would have to hope one of the crannogmen found you and decided to help you. That is is you did not fall into quicksand, get eaten by a lizard lion, poisoned by touching the wrong plant or get swallowed by a bog. In the books Robb gave his messengers very clear instructions on how to contact Howland Reed, and it did not involve a raven I believe the instructions were "Take a boat with my Banner and they will find you" or something to that effect. There is a reason the only way the Neck was brought into the North was single combat between the Marsh King and the Stark King. In other words if Howland Reed wants to be found he will. If you enter his domain and he does not wish you to leave you will not.

Archived