[Book Spoilers] Jaime & Brienne- What's going on?

Meera of Tarth

5 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

I think his dream of her hints that they will be on the same side. When everyone else forsakes him, she will be there. (Naked and with a sword, just saying. :leer:)

This quote you posted really summarises a lot their BatB story:

In this light she could almost be a beauty, he thought. In this light she could almost be a knight.

It's so powerful. Ironically, Brienne is the Beauty, but Jaime has seen her as a Beast until now, and the reason he changes that thought it's because in his dreams (unconscious, poetic, romantic) he is falling for her and sees her feminity. And why is he falling? She embodies the knighthood he had lost, but that he will recover soon from her.

This one quoted from Cridefea is also good:

and breast beneath her roughspun brown dress. He found himself remembering the things that Pia had whispered to him at Harrenhal, the night that Qyburn sent her to his bed. Sometimes when I’m with some man, she’d said, I close my eyes and pretend it’s you on top of me.
He was grateful when the bath was deep enough to conceal his arousal. As he lowered himself into the steaming water, he recalled another bath, the one he’d shared with Brienne. He had been feverish and weak from loss of blood, and the heat had made him so dizzy he found himself saying things better left unsaid. This time he had no such excuse. Remember your vows.

He is feeling sexually attracted to Pia (the arousal) but is automatically reminded of the bath with Brienne. See the connection?

I think it can be interpreted in another way than this normal meaning-regarding JB. He is saying to himself: don't get excited, remember your vows (as if he was with Brienne, well technically according to  @sweetsunray's essay they are married :) ) because this is another girl.

5 hours ago, Cridefea said:

LoL I have a lot fun of reading this too. Add:

"I have a gift for you." He reached down under the Lord Commander's chair and brought it out,
wrapped in folds of crimson velvet.
Brienne approached as if the bundle was like to bite her, reached out a huge freckled hand, and flipped back a fold of cloth. Rubies
glimmered in the light. She picked the treasure up gingerly, curled her fingers around the leather grip, and slowly slid the sword
free of its scabbard.

LOL

11 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I know the question was for @Cridefea but I wanted to share one of my favourite moments in the books on that topic:

This is in Jaime's dream, the one that makes him return to Harrenhall to save Brienne. When they meet he says: "I dreamed of you".

Yes, dreams are significant indicators of what's going on in a person's unconscious.  Brienne's on his mind -- usually naked..!

And few lines below

She put a hand on his shoulder, and he trembled at the sudden touch. She's warm.

Apart from how physically aroused he seems to get at Brienne's touch, this can also be read more psychologically.  He notices that Brienne's warm vs. Cersei's cold (-hearted), just as Brienne's gentle vs. Cersei's cruel.

I add some other quotes in Asos

Provoking

Do you deny your sex? If so, unlace those breeches and show me." He gave her an innocent smile. "I'd ask you to open your

bodice, but from the look of you that wouldn't prove much."

Interestingly, there are parallels between the Jaime-Brienne and Gendry-Arya dynamic. 

Bear pit

"Brienne, the maid of Tarth. You are still maiden, I hope?" Her broad homely face turned red. "Yes." "Oh, good," Jaime said. "I only rescue maidens."

Jaime seems to be overly concerned with Brienne's 'maidenhead' status, as demonstrated by how he refers to it at every available opportunity!  Actually, despite his' twincestuous' shenanigans, he's conservative sexually, one might even say a bit of a prude and given to idealizing female 'purity'.  It really bothers him, for example, that Cersei is befouling herself with 'Osmund Kettleblack, Lancel and Moon Boy too.'  That impish devil Tyrion knows his brother well; he knew just what to say to hurt him to the quick and prey on his mind. For Jaime, Cersei's sexual promiscuity is an increasing turn-off, whereas Brienne's virginity beguiles him.  He's probably, without realizing it, also quite jealous of others when it comes to Brienne, and thinks of her as 'his' territory.  I would love to see how he'd react, if he ever gets wind of Tormund's advances towards Brienne! 

Connington and Jaime (this one is a bit sick)

"Is it true the wench fought naked?" "Naked? No." He wondered how that wrinkle had been added to the story.

Jaime somehow connecting sexual thoughts and Brienne aka GRRM is mocking us

Ha ha ha.  Playing the innocent.  The sly fox, I mean marten, knows exactly what he's doing!

Jaime was uncomfortably aware of the curve of hip and breast beneath her roughspun brown dress. He found himself remembering the things that Pia had whispered to him at Harrenhal, the night that Qyburn sent her to his bed. Sometimes when I’m with some man, she’d said, I close my eyes and pretend it’s you on top of me.
He was grateful when the bath was deep enough to conceal his arousal. As he lowered himself into the steaming water, he recalled another bath, the one he’d shared with Brienne. He had been feverish and weak from loss of blood, and the heat had made him so dizzy he found himself saying things better left unsaid. This time he had no such excuse. Remember your vows.

That's a good one.  Really illustrates Jaime's state of denial.  He doesn't want to be attracted to Brienne, not because of his Kingsguard vows (good heavens, he's been breaking those for years, at peril of losing his head for treachery to a second king), but rather because she doesn't meet his aesthetic ideals of womanhood -- funny how this mirrors the prejudices of many of the readers --  yet as @sweetsunray so succinctly put it, his 'sword doesn't lie'!

He had commanded Ser Addam Marbrand to search the Street of Silk. “Look under every bed, you know how fond my brother is of brothels.” The gold cloaks would find more of interest beneath the whores’ skirts than beneath their beds. He wondered how many bastard children would be born of the pointless search. Unbidden, his thoughts went to Brienne of Tarth.

That's interesting.  Why would he connect thoughts of bastards with Brienne, do you think?

There's also this quote, where Jaime's actions and/or thoughts betray his unconscious desires:

A Storm of Swords - Jaime VII

And now he's dead. He pictured Joff lying still and cold with a face black from poison, and still felt nothing. Perhaps he was the monster they claimed. If the Father Above came down to offer him back his son or his hand, Jaime knew which he would choose. He had a second son, after all, and seed enough for many more. If Cersei wants another child I'll give her one . . . and this time I'll hold him, and the Others take those who do not like it. Robert was rotting in his grave, and Jaime was sick of lies.

He turned abruptly and galloped back to find Brienne. Gods know why I bother. She is the least companionable creature I've ever had the misfortune to meet. The wench rode well behind and a few feet off to the side, as if to proclaim that she was no part of them. They had found men's garb for her along the way; a tunic here, a mantle there, a pair of breeches and a cowled cloak, even an old iron breastplate. She looked more comfortable dressed as a man, but nothing would ever make her look handsome. Nor happy. Once out of Harrenhal, her usual pighead stubbornness had soon reasserted itself. "I want my arms and armor back," she had insisted. "Oh, by all means, let us have you back in steel," Jaime replied. "A helm, especially. We'll all be happier if you keep your mouth shut and your visor down."

That much Brienne could do, but her sullen silences soon began to fray his good humor almost as much as Qyburn's endless attempts to be ingratiating. I never thought I would find myself missing the company of Cleos Frey, gods help me. He was beginning to wish he had left her for the bear after all.

Thoughts of Joffrey's death segue into thoughts of conceiving another child, and how he's tired of concealing his love.  He concludes with thinking he's sick of lies, whereupon he immediately turns back and gallops to find Brienne, as if she -- not Cersei -- somehow represents the source of his redemption and all his deepest wishes.  

2 hours ago, Cron said:

Jaime is bluffing Edmure, period.

I could support this in a number of ways, but the bottom line is that Jaime starts out by trying to make a friendly connection with Edmure (the "real" Jaime, the reformed Jaime), but Edmure throws it back in Jaime's face over and over, so as a result Jaime uses "political judo" by using Edmure's belief that Jaime is a monster AGAINST him, thereby getting exactly what Jaime wants (Riverrun) without breaking Jaime's oath(s) to Cat, and in the process also giving Brienne exactly what she wanted (i.e., her request that Jaime take Riverrun, if at all,, without bloodshed).

In my view, the scene between Edmure and Jaime in that episode is one of Jaime's finest moments in the entire series.  (Right up there with when he rescues Brienne from the bear, the scene where he has his hand chopped off, and the scene where he is in the bath with Brienne and talks about the truth behind the Mad King)

I agree.  Glad that Tobias Menzies as Edmure could also have an opportunity to show the acting caliber he's capable of.  The two actors played off each other superbly.  I loved the cinematographic direction, particularly the close-ups and the choices of light and shadow, e.g. the symbolism of the left half of Jaime's face being underexposed, cast in black shadow, versus the right half being over-exposed, and cast in a garish light, representative of his 'two personas.'

50 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

in his dreams (unconscious, poetic, romantic) he is falling for her and sees her feminity. And why is he falling? She embodies the knighthood he had lost, but that he will recover soon from her.

She's the female version of Ser Arthur Dayne (the opposition to the 'Smiling Knight' persona Jaime often assumes).  While Ser Arthur is the Morning Star, Brienne is the Even' Star -- same star.

8 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

This quote you posted really summarises a lot their BatB story:

It's so powerful. Ironically, Brienne is the Beauty, but Jaime has seen her as a Beast until now, and the reason he changes that thought it's because in his dreams (unconscious, poetic, romantic) he is falling for her and sees her feminity. And why is he falling? She embodies the knighthood he had lost, but that he will recover soon from her.

Oh yeah. Both of the BatB pairs, they help each other. But they never lose their dreams. They keep them for each other.

He is feeling sexually attracted to Pia (the arousal) but is automatically reminded of the bath with Brienne. See the connection?

I think it can be interpreted in another way than this normal meaning-regarding JB. He is saying to himself: don't get excited, remember your vows (as if he was with Brienne, well technically according to  @sweetsunray's essay they are married :) ) because this is another girl.

As if he was with Brienne, I like that other meaning! And now the wind through his hair is like a woman's fingers, not Cersei's fingers.

Also just thinking there was a nice progression for him in the books, but it's too late on the show, they'll just have to go with some sudden resolve.

1 hour ago, ravenous reader said:

Interestingly, there are parallels between the Jaime-Brienne and Gendry-Arya dynamic. 

There are many parallels between these pairs yes:

Brienne wears a studded leather vest - Arya gets a studded leather vest at Acorn Hall

Jaime telling Brienne not to scrub her skin off - Arya thinking Lady Smallwood's servants are flaying her as they scrub her in bath

Brienne's sleeve from the silk dress is torn in the bear fight - Arya's sleeve of the acorn dress is torn after the tickle fight in the smithy

Brienne being half covered in mud after the sword fight - Arya is half covered in mud and dust after the rickle fight

Jaime thinks she looks as if they were fucking instead of fighting - Lem slaps Gendry and lectures him about age and girls

Jaime has to keep himself from laughing with Brienne in the silk dress - Gendry spouts drink through his nose from laughing when Arya appears in her dress

Brienne gets to wear a dress from Harrenhal - Arya's flayed man is taken off at Acorn Hall

Jaime often remembers things about meetings and places in the RL when he was taken into the KG, which he did to be with Cersei, but Tywin took Cersei to CR and Aerys didn't allow him to shine in the tourney of HH - Gendry is knighted by Beric, and in part this is because he knows that working as armorer for Arya's brother his chances to make something out of himself and have a shot at M'Lady would be zero. But the knighting and joining of the BwB is what makes Arya angry and upset, causes a rift and eventually her being taken by the Hound.

ETA: Jaime thinks Brienne's breasts would look more fitting on a 10 year old - Arya is 10.

17 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Brienne wears a studded leather vest - Arya gets a studded leather vest at Acorn Hall

Jaime telling Brienne not to scrub her skin off - Arya thinking Lady Smallwood's servants are flaying her as they scrub her in bath

Brienne's sleeve from the silk dress is torn in the bear fight - Arya's sleeve of the acorn dress is torn after the tickle fight in the smithy

Brienne being half covered in mud after the sword fight - Arya is half covered in mud and dust after the rickle fight

Jaime thinks she looks as if they were fucking instead of fighting - Lem slaps Gendry and lectures him about age and girls

Jaime has to keep himself from laughing with Brienne in the silk dress - Gendry spouts drink through his nose from laughing when Arya appears in her dress

Brienne gets to wear a dress from Harrenhal - Arya's flayed man is taken off at Acorn Hall

Jaime often remembers things about meetings and places in the RL when he was taken into the KG, which he did to be with Cersei, but Tywin took Cersei to CR and Aerys didn't allow him to shine in the tourney of HH - Gendry is knighted by Beric, and in part this is because he knows that working as armorer for Arya's brother his chances to make something out of himself and have a shot at M'Lady would be zero. But the knighting and joining of the BwB is what makes Arya angry and upset, causes a rift and eventually her being taken by the Hound.

Was that at Acorn Hall?  Are you sure about that?

21 minutes ago, dabulls said:

Oh yea, you're right.  Yes, so many parallels.

Company of 3 escaping RR: Jaime, Brienne and Cleos, but Cleos drops off (is killed). They are chased by men from RR, but they escape from them as well. The escape involves terrain Brienne knows since she was a child: water and boats

Company of 3 escaping HH: Arya, Gednry and Hot Pie, but Hot Pie drops off (remains with Sharna and the Inn of the Kneeling King. They are chased by men from HH, but they escape from them with the wolf pack (Arya's home background)

Both companies visit the Inn of the Kneeling Man. The first get 3 horses from Husband, which were BwB horses. The others lose their horses to the BwB. The 3 BwB who were looking for Jaime, Brienne and Cleos (not actually knowing who they were), find Arya, Gendry and Hot Pie instead (not actually knowing who they were, until Arya reveals herself to Harwin).

Arya, Gendry and Hot Pie escape HH. Jaime and Brienne are caught and brought to Harrenhal.

Pia offers herself to Jaime, and he sends her away. Bella offers herself to Gendry at the Peach, and he walks away.

6 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

I agree.  Glad that Tobias Menzies as Edmure could also have an opportunity to show the acting caliber he's capable of.  The two actors played off each other superbly.  I loved the cinematographic direction, particularly the close-ups and the choices of light and shadow, e.g. the symbolism of the left half of Jaime's face being underexposed, cast in black shadow, versus the right half being over-exposed, and cast in a garish light, representative of his 'two personas.'

Yeah, the Edmure actor did an awesome job.

There's been quite a bit of talk that Arya and Edmure might be joining up some next season (obviously platonically, he's her uncle), and I think it would be really cool to see interaction between them.

Oh, and I think it would be great if they could find a way to hang out with Brienne and Jaime, too.

16 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

LOL

Yes, dreams are significant indicators of what's going on in a person's unconscious.  Brienne's on his mind -- usually naked..!

The naked part, that's super telling as well, and it happens just before he saves her. So, may it be part of the reasons? The connection has been made.

That's interesting.  Why would he connect thoughts of bastards with Brienne, do you think?

There's also this quote, where Jaime's actions and/or thoughts betray his unconscious desires:

Thoughts of Joffrey's death segue into thoughts of conceiving another child, and how he's tired of concealing his love.  He concludes with thinking he's sick of lies, whereupon he immediately turns back and gallops to find Brienne, as if she -- not Cersei -- somehow represents the source of his redemption and all his deepest wishes.  

Unbidden, his thoughts went to Brienne of Tarth.

What you say abut possible hints of Jaime and Brienne having a child together is very interesting! And it would fit her name a lot, The Maid of Tarth!

She's the female version of Ser Arthur Dayne (the opposition to the 'Smiling Knight' persona Jaime often assumes).  While Ser Arthur is the Morning Star, Brienne is the Even' Star -- same star.

Oh I love that!

And yeah, Tobias Menzies is an spectacular actor, together with NCW, I really enjoyed the scene. Very similar to the books, except for the Cersei's part, but it was awesome overall.

14 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

ETA: Jaime thinks Brienne's breasts would look more fitting on a 10 year old - Arya is 10.

Oh!! I hadn't noticed any of these and both are my favourite pairings!

13 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

Pia offers herself to Jaime, and he sends her away. Bella offers herself to Gendry at the Peach, and he walks away.

This! I noticed the similarity when reading, but didn't know there were more

21 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Oh yeah. Both of the BatB pairs, they help each other. But they never lose their dreams. They keep them for each other.

As if he was with Brienne, I like that other meaning! And now the wind through his hair is like a woman's fingers, not Cersei's fingers.

Oh yes! Firstly he notices Brienne is warm, now.... I like Cersei is not personified anymore in his thoughts (and when she appears, well we know the lines he uses:P)

Cersei is a lying whore, she's been fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moon Boy for all I know.

Also just thinking there was a nice progression for him in the books, but it's too late on the show, they'll just have to go with some sudden resolve.

Yes, that's the bad thing....it will be too sudden.... However, remember his look on Cersei! How much time have I waited to see them having THE argument! (well, THE arguments.....)

The crows will feast upon us all if you go on this way, sweet sister. "Cersei, listen to yourself. You are seeing dwarfs in every shadow and making foes of friends. Uncle Kevan is not your enemy. I am not your enemy." Her face twisted in fury. "I begged you for your help. I went down on my knees to you, and you refused me!

Winter might be coming, but the Twinthunder will be worse!

Cersei is much more crazier now in the show

And let's not forget that maybe (S7 spoilers)

Spoiler

Euron and Cersei will......

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Oh!! I hadn't noticed any of these and both are my favourite pairings!

I only began to fully notice it when I started to write the HH Curse essay, where initially the bear's spirit starts to focus on Arya as Rorge starts to ogle her way too much. And how Brienne takes her place as the maiden in the bear dance. I reread the bath scene with Jaime thinking Brienne's breasts would look more natural on a 10-year old. So, I noticed the switch from one maiden to another, and that Jaime doubled as the bear to steal Brienne. But then I also remembered that Gendry's defeated attitude resisting escape (like a slave per Tyrion) and how he's the imprisoned bear double smithing and armoring for men he despises. That's when I started to check for the vests and the torn sleeve (the details), and Jaime's musings of his journey to KL from the HH tourney often seemed fitting for Gendry's story in the present. George definitely parallelled their journeys, though including reverse parallels. It's not a copy, and each character is their own character, but he sure parallels them in the first half of aSoS.

12 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

I only began to fully notice it when I started to write the HH Curse essay, where initially the bear's spirit starts to focus on Arya as Rorge starts to ogle her way too much. And how Brienne takes her place as the maiden in the bear dance. I reread the bath scene with Jaime thinking Brienne's breasts would look more natural on a 10-year old. So, I noticed the switch from one maiden to another, and that Jaime doubled as the bear to steal Brienne. But then I also remembered that Gendry's defeated attitude resisting escape (like a slave per Tyrion) and how he's the imprisoned bear double smithing and armoring for men he despises. That's when I started to check for the vests and the torn sleeve (the details), and George definitely parallelled their journeys, though including reverse parallels. It's not a copy, and each character is their own character, but he sure parallels them in the first half of aSoS.

I should have a re-reading. I like it a lot :)

@dabulls No need to go personal. Secondly, I'm simply pointing out how Cleos and Hot Pie are the 3rd wheel on the wagon during the journey. Hot Pie is left behind in Arya III of aSoS, Cleos Frey is killed in Jaime III in aSoS. Do they look the same? No. Do they have the same character? No. Do they have the same fate? No. Do they have the same role in the journey to the POV? They sure do. If you don't care for it, fine. If you disagree actually come with some arguments. Oh, and I'm a woman, and I'll be as wise as I want to be.

On 12/9/2016 at 8:13 PM, Le Cygne said:

Indeed. :) Come, curse me, or kiss me, or call me a liar... You ought to be blowing me kisses, wench...

:rolleyes:

20 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

Apart from how physically aroused he seems to get at Brienne's touch, this can also be read more psychologically.  He notices that Brienne's warm vs. Cersei's cold (-hearted), just as Brienne's gentle vs. Cersei's cruel

True!

Jaime seems to be overly concerned with Brienne's 'maidenhead' status, as demonstrated by how he refers to it at every available opportunity!  Actually, despite his' twincestuous' shenanigans, he's conservative sexually, one might even say a bit of a prude and given to idealizing female 'purity'.  It really bothers him, for example, that Cersei is befouling herself with 'Osmund Kettleblack, Lancel and Moon Boy too.'  That impish devil Tyrion knows his brother well; he knew just what to say to hurt him to the quick and prey on his mind. For Jaime, Cersei's sexual promiscuity is an increasing turn-off, whereas Brienne's virginity beguiles him.

Yeah! and purity of mind too. In ADwD he says he likes innocence in a woman.

And talking of innocence, I've got a question. In ASoS Jaime, having dinner with bolton and Brienne, thinks:

Brienne said, appalled. “The Imp? But . . . he swore, before the whole court, in sight of gods and men . . .” She is such an innocent. Jaime was almost as surprised, if truth be told, but he hid it better. Sansa Stark, that ought to put a smile on Tyrion's face.

with "innocent " he is referring to brienne, right? Because in italian translation innocent is referred to Sansa, and I'm confused :unsure:

I agree with you: Jaime would love to be a father. I think that GRRM has kept the ambiguity in those lines, because Jaime could had thought about Brienne for the connection with brothel/sex etc. or for the connection with te pointless research. 

In the end I agree with all of you about Edmure/Jaime scene!! Some people say that it is a back step for Jaime's changing but I think he do it for his oath and for Brienne too.

4 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

I only began to fully notice it when I started to write the HH Curse essay, where initially the bear's spirit starts to focus on Arya as Rorge starts to ogle her way too much. And how Brienne takes her place as the maiden in the bear dance. I reread the bath scene with Jaime thinking Brienne's breasts would look more natural on a 10-year old. So, I noticed the switch from one maiden to another, and that Jaime doubled as the bear to steal Brienne. But then I also remembered that Gendry's defeated attitude resisting escape (like a slave per Tyrion) and how he's the imprisoned bear double smithing and armoring for men he despises. That's when I started to check for the vests and the torn sleeve (the details), and Jaime's musings of his journey to KL from the HH tourney often seemed fitting for Gendry's story in the present. George definitely parallelled their journeys, though including reverse parallels. It's not a copy, and each character is their own character, but he sure parallels them in the first half of aSoS.

I really like the way you've developed the 'bear dance' and broken it down for the different couples.  Apropos the 'imprisoned bear,' the following passage in which Brienne recalls Jaime chained, imprisoned and maimed would fit your idea of the perversion of the proper bear hunt ritual, inviting a vengeful backlash:

A Feast for Crows - Brienne I

Brienne remembered her fight with Jaime Lannister in the woods. It had been all that she could do to keep his blade at bay. He was weak from his imprisonment, and chained at the wrists. No knight in the Seven Kingdoms could have stood against him at his full strength, with no chains to hamper him.Jaime had done many wicked things, but the man could fight! His maiming had been monstrously cruel. It was one thing to slay a lion, another to hack his paw off and leave him broken and bewildered.

Bears, like lions, have paws.  Also, chopping off limbs usually doesn't go very well for people.  Those disembodied limbs tend to develop a life of their own -- think of Othor's hand in the jar -- and come back to haunt one!  

20 minutes ago, Cridefea said:

In ADwD he says he likes innocence in a woman.

And talking of innocence, I've got a question. In ASoS Jaime, having dinner with bolton and Brienne, thinks:

Brienne said, appalled. “The Imp? But . . . he swore, before the whole court, in sight of gods and men . . .” She is such an innocent. Jaime was almost as surprised, if truth be told, but he hid it better. Sansa Stark, that ought to put a smile on Tyrion's face.

with "innocent " he is referring to brienne, right? Because in italian translation innocent is referred to Sansa, and I'm confused :unsure:

Good point-- purity in mind as well as body.  Yes, in the dialogue whenever Jaime is thinking something private to himself  the words are placed in italics like She is such an innocent... (these are his true thoughts to which GRRM provides us access, to differentiate from the glib facade he wears in public).  In that case, the 'she' in question refers to Brienne who places such a premium on honor and oaths --  about which Jaime through his experience has come to be cynical, and therefore he finds her naive (although charming in a way that appeals to his lost ideals).  He also knows his brother and how 'two-faced' he can be, saying one thing and thinking/doing another.  So, Tyrion's 'oaths' mean nothing, and again Brienne was taken in.

I see, @sweetsunray beat me to it, above!

7 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

I really like the way you've developed the 'bear dance' and broken it down for the different couples.  Apropos the 'imprisoned bear,' the following passage in which Brienne recalls Jaime chained, imprisoned and maimed would fit your idea of the perversion of the proper bear hunt ritual, inviting a vengeful backlash:

He's maimed and the paraded into Harrenhal with a noose around his neck, and one of the Mummers killing a dog and staking its head on spear and calling it Jaime's banner. Jaime is depressed in that chapter and he wants to die. Brienne calls him a coward then and she tells him to live for "revenge" ;) He doesn't end up avenging himself on Vargo, but he does send his regards to Robb, and he was chained up in RR's dungeon, while Gendry was a captive at HH put to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived