[Book Spoilers] Jaime & Brienne- What's going on?

Meera of Tarth

2 hours ago, larastone said:

no one is misquoting anything. he literally said their fates are intertwined and what happens afterwards will be interesting for season 8. basically implying that despite their breakup they'll reunite in season 8

You  were replying to a comment that said that they'd die together, basing on that quote, and I don't think that this quote means this, especially if we read at the whole quote (where they go from here). They will meet again, but he will kill her, if anything.  I  think they won't die together.

2 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

People misquoting again...why not quote the whole thing? 

"The fates are intertwined and where they go from here  you know, will be exciting for next season"

George is a good writer, not a mediocre one. So I HIGHLY DOUBT that Cersei is the one who will foreshadow the ending of others WHEN she is saying WHAT SHE THINKS it's true.

The way GRRM addressed the question of where Jaime and Cersei were headed made me think it was in distinct directions, just as the Old Gods showed.

Q:Where do you see Jaime and Cersei headed?

A:Well, as for the books, I have two more to write. I’m certainly going to be dealing with Jaime. Jaime and Cersei’s relationship is in a very different place in the books than the show has reached now. They are effectively estranged now. -GRRM

source

6 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

You  were replying to a comment that said that they'd die together based on that quote, and I don't think that this quote means this. They will meet again, but he will kill her, if anything.  I don't think they won't die together.

i dont think that the quote means they'll die together, merely that they are really important to each other storylines. 

but its also possible that matt shakman was thinking of both/or one of their death scenes when saying that. saying "fates intertwined" is some heavy shit, its not some general basic statement. 

of course i also don't think jaime deserves to survive this series so i want him to die with cersei if he kills her but thats my own bias lol 

27 minutes ago, sapphire_lion said:

Cersei states that Jaime will die when the flames go out IMMEDIATELY after Brienne's sword takes flames.

A lazy reader will automatically assume that Jaime will die when his flames go out. But it may not be that obvious. Brienne's flames are still burning bright and she is still set on protecting Jaime by the time the dream ends. We do not actually see him die. 

Yes, this time it will be Brienne who saves him.

On 10/13/2017 at 3:23 AM, Meera of Tarth said:

I can not wait to see them kissing ir banging. After all these seasona with sexual tension and thr discovery that they are each others perfect matches.....with true love based on resPect loyalty and being better persons thanka to the influence of thw other especiallu Jaimr

Nik and Gwen have the best chemistry. 

As Bronn would say,"He'd fuck her, that's for sure. And she'd fuck him too, don't you think. The way she looks at him."

Nikolaj knows what is up:

“The actor won’t say if his character survives, of course. But earlier we had asked him about Jaime’s relationship with Cersei, and whether he thinks the Kingslayer is ultimately doomed by his incestuous loyalty. And all he said was: “It’s not going to end well for Jaime Lannister, I can’t imagine.””

i don’t think you try and kill bran and kill your cousin all for cersei or to get back to her and not ultimatley go down with that ship.

its heavil heavily foreshadowed at this point in the show.

is there any foreshadowing pointing in the oppositie direction?

44 minutes ago, sapphire_lion said:

Cersei states that Jaime will die when the flames go out IMMEDIATELY after Brienne's sword takes flames.

A lazy reader will automatically assume that Jaime will die when his flames go out. 

Not "a lazy reader": Jaime. Jaime remembers Cersei's words about what the flames on his sword guttering out means and that's why he flips out, as seen in the passage you yourself quoted:

The fires that ran along the blade were guttering out, and Jaime remembered what Cersei had said. No. Terror closed a hand about his throat. Then his sword went dark, and only Brienne's burned, as the ghosts came rushing in.

"No," he said, "no, no, no. Nooooooooo!"
-ASOS, Jaime VI

It's really not mysterious, no more than Theon dreaming of Robb full of wounds, unless of course you're being willfully obtuse or have blinders on as @Lysander put it:

A prophetic dream symbolizing a character's impending doom is GRRM's style of foreshadowing, and having another character blatantly spell it out in dialogue is D&D's style of foreshadowing. You'd have to have blinders on to miss it, imho.

12 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Yes, exactly. 

The script for the finale episode of Season 7 also said Jaime was "never looking back again".

https://78.media.tumblr.com/c45c9c696c70a7f37b7cbc3680f01c83/tumblr_ouga44N4xV1wuoip6o2_1280.jpg

I'm inclined to believe that is significant. 

Also, I know others are against Jaime having redemption. I'm not so sure GRRM is of the same mind.

One of the things I wanted to explore with Jaime, and with so many of the characters, is the whole issue of redemption. When can we be redeemed? Is redemption even possible? I don't have an answer. But when do we forgive people? You see it all around in our society, in constant debates. Should we forgive Michael Vick? I have friends who are dog-lovers who will never forgive Michael Vick. Michael Vick has served years in prison; he's apologized. Has he apologized sufficiently? Woody Allen: Is Woody Allen someone that we should laud, or someone that we should despise? Or Roman Polanski, Paula Deen. Our society is full of people who have fallen in one way or another, and what do we do with these people? How many good acts make up for a bad act? If you're a Nazi war criminal and then spend the next 40 years doing good deeds and feeding the hungry, does that make up for being a concentration-camp guard? I don't know the answer, but these are questions worth thinking about. I want there to be a possibility of redemption for us, because we all do terrible things. We should be able to be forgiven. Because if there is no possibility of redemption, what's the answer then? many of the characters, is the whole issue of redemption. When can we be redeemed? Is redemption even possible? ... Woody Allen: Is Woody Allen someone that we should laud, or someone that we should despise? Our society is full of people who have fallen in one way or another, and what do we do with these people? How many good acts make up for a bad act? ... I want there to be a possibility of redemption for us, because we all do terrible things. We should be able to be forgiven. Because if there is no possibility of redemption, what's the answer then? -GRRM

I think Jaime will have a chance to better himself. To do something good fighting alongside Brienne. Even if he does die, he will have experienced Brienne's love. That in itself will be his happy ending. 

25 minutes ago, Newstar said:

Not "a lazy reader": Jaime. Jaime remembers Cersei's words about what the flames on his sword guttering out means and that's why he flips out.

It's really not mysterious, no more than Theon dreaming of Robb full of wounds, unless of course you're being willfully obtuse.

i also think its notable that in this dream its Cersei who spells out how jaime will die.  not tywin or the other ghost lannisters. just more foreshadowing that their endgames/deaths are linked imo. 

i don't how after R+L=J happening point blank, Dany + jon hooking up, maggy's prophecy being fulfilled with cersei's kids dying before her that people think GRRM or D&D for that fact aren't pretty straightforward with their foreshadowings. they're not trying to write in hidden codes , they're trying to set the stage for future events in their story. 

season 7 was the most predictable seasons of TV i've watched in awhile, i have no doubt that season 8 will be similar in that regard. we're never gonna get ADOS so we have to make do with Season 8. and the D's foreshadowed Jaime's death pretty blatantly with Olenna's words lol. same with Varys and Melisandre. this board spends so much time shitting on D&D but as soon as its trying to prove their predictions will happen...D&D become these amazingly subtle masterful writers lmao.

the only things D&D put any real effort on is spectacle. 

30 minutes ago, sapphire_lion said:

Nik and Gwen have the best chemistry. 

As Bronn would say,"He'd fuck her, that's for sure. And she'd fuck him too, don't you think. The way she looks at him."

Yeah, totally. As Nik said, they didn't have time for their things in the tent, but in WF  the third act of their romance will blossom.

3 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Yeah, totally. As Nik said, they didn't have time for their things in the tent, but in WF  the third act of their romance will blossom.

Word. Others have picked up on their feelings for each other. And there'll be no hiding from the truth now.

I'm also excited that Nik keeps teasing us about Tormund. It will be Red Ronnet 2.0. 

33 minutes ago, larastone said:

i also think its notable that in this dream its Cersei who spells out how jaime will die.  not tywin or the other ghost lannisters. just more foreshadowing that their endgames/deaths are linked imo. 

The interesting thing about the army of ghost Lannisters is that we know that Tywin, Joffrey and Cersei are with them, and Tywin and Joffrey (although alive at the time) are dead by the end of ASOS. More confirmation that Jaime and Cersei are doomed but that Tyrion (who's not there) will survive?

i don't how after R+L=J happening point blank, Dany + jon hooking up, maggy's prophecy being fulfilled with cersei's kids dying before her that people think GRRM or D&D for that fact aren't pretty straightforward with their foreshadowings. they're not trying to write in hidden codes , they're trying to set the stage for future events in their story. 

Yes, they're really not mysterious, and the blatant foreshadowing was taken up to 11 in Season 7 as you said: Melisandre informing Varys that they're both going to die, Olenna telling Jaime that Cersei will be the end of him, and of course the many references to Jon and Dany getting married and having children.

this board spends so much time shitting on D&D but as soon as its trying to prove their predictions will happen...D&D become these amazingly subtle masterful writers lmao.

Yeah, I've seen posters complain at length about how obvious and unsubtle D&D's writing is and then turn around and try to claim that some bit of dialogue should be interpreted in a very obscure way because it's actually exquisitely subtle, easily missed foreshadowing that their ship is endgame or that Jon will kill Dany or what have you.

the only things D&D put any real effort on is spectacle. 

Yes. D&D have openly said that they're aware of the pressure to keep delivering bigger and bigger set pieces from season to season, and judging from casual fans' reactions to S7's set pieces, eye-popping spectacle is what they expect. Not an excuse for shitty, lackadaisical writing, but it explains why they care about one at the expense of the other.

Tormund actually likes Brienne, so maybe he says something lewd.

And Jaime says you are speaking of a highborn lady, call her by her name, call her Brienne.

(Well, that's the book line, and I doubt we'll get something that good, but they'll come up with something.)

42 minutes ago, sapphire_lion said:

The script for the finale episode of Season 7 also said Jaime was "never looking back again".

https://78.media.tumblr.com/c45c9c696c70a7f37b7cbc3680f01c83/tumblr_ouga44N4xV1wuoip6o2_1280.jpg

I'm inclined to believe that is significant. 

Also, I know others are against Jaime having redemption. I'm not so sure GRRM is of the same mind.

I think Jaime will have a chance to better himself. To do something good fighting alongside Brienne. Even if he does die, he will have experienced Brienne's love. That in itself will be his happy ending. 

Yes, I totally agree, regardless of his fate, being it good or bad, he is on the good path thanks to Brienne and he will be the knight he has always really wanted to be.

Furthermore, Nik also said that his last line, he played it like "I don't believe in you and me", and I think that's where his story is going.

It would be wonderful if he did something for humanity in the great war (and in my ideal ending, saving Bran)

Archived