How does The Brotherhood know about the White Walkers?

Ser Hyle

I just don't understand why it is so hard for the NW and subjects of Westeros to understand that the Freefolk/Wildlings aren't a threat anymore - just trying to escape the Army of the Dead, and that Jon is not a traitor for sparing them.

23 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

I just don't understand why it is so hard for the NW and subjects of Westeros to understand that the Freefolk/Wildlings aren't a threat anymore - just trying to escape the Army of the Dead, and that Jon is not a traitor for sparing them.

• for the night's watch : they can't believe it because the wildlings killed and terrorized the the NW and the people of the north for many years and the crows are not ready to forget that, the hate is so strong
  • for the rest of westeros : Same reason, the wildlings are savages and the white walkers and the army of the dead are just some old legends 

Bottom line, if you build up a bad reputation, no one will believe you anymore

9 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:
  • for the night's watch : they can't believe it because the wildlings killed and terrorized the the NW and the people of the north for many years and the crows are not ready to forget that, the hate is so strong
  • for the rest of westeros : Same reason, the wildlings are savages and the white walkers and the army of the dead are just some old legends 

Bottom line, if you build up a bad reputation, no one will believe you anymore

If you want a more literal example, consider the EURO 2016 Championships happening in France right now. 

England and their fans have always had a reputation for being hooligans, problematic, viscous, and violent. Pretty terrible reputation, in fact. 

Yet the last 72 hours, all everyone has talked about has been how incredible both the English and Welsh fans have been Lille. Singing together, celebrating in the square together, watching in the fanzone together. Literally, people have been shocked. There's videos of them singing "please don't take me home" together as groups in the middle streets, etc. 

And that's because many people's beliefs about England fans, largely formed based on reputation over many, many years, is being challenged and broken down. 

I think that's a fair comparison to the Wildlings, Westeros, and reputation. People have a horrible reputation of the Wildings, in part, because they don't know any better and aren't exposed to any better - much like The England fans. 

14 hours ago, CalvoHobbo said:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this -but do you all think that the way we were introduced to the Hound, and to the BWB and their new intentions in the show means that we are going to get Hound POV chapters in WOW??!?? 

Well-thought out post, it's fine here. :D Says the novice. I agree with you, but fear it will turn out to be another sloppy-writing, unexplained let-down. POV chapters? Let's hope. 

Here's a fun Hound PWWP theory:

https://t.co/lY0WYAesw3

18 hours ago, Ice Spider said:

I am sure the North still gets merchants from the South and vice versa. Word gets around.

Yes, but when have we seen Northern people referring to the supernatural threat brewing beyond the wall? It seems only the wildlings and the NW that's aware of this reality, and even certain factions of the NW (Alliser Thorne) don't treat it as a top priority. There must be something driving the BWB beyond 'word' for them to understand the gravity of this threat.

1 hour ago, Ser Hyle said:

Yes, but when have we seen Northern people referring to the supernatural threat brewing beyond the wall? It seems only the wildlings and the NW that's aware of this reality, and even certain factions of the NW (Alliser Thorne) don't treat it as a top priority. There must be something driving the BWB beyond 'word' for them to understand the gravity of this threat.

Agreed. 

Either there's something more that is driving their concerns, or, (again) the show is running into some poor writing

On 06/16/2016 at 6:46 PM, CalvoHobbo said:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this -but do you all think that the way we were introduced to the Hound, and to the BWB and their new intentions in the show means that we are going to get Hound POV chapters in WOW??!?? 

I might be mistaken, but I seem to remember that GRRM stated there are no new POVs planned for WOW (apart from prologue and epilogue I suppose, but I'd rather not see Sandor Clegane dead).

I wonder what the brotherhood did in all this time.

They didn't grow their ranks, they didn't kill any Frey, they didn't help the Blackfish, they still have no quarters nor better food, and if they really know about the perils that will coem with winter, they haven't done anything about it.  They haven't gone to the north.  Nor south, east or west, for that matter.

They are now just a prop so D&D can tell Sandor what to do next.

Archived