A flaming sword

35 minutes ago, Jayc said:

Listen all great points. I do think the Hound/AA connection is a tough theory to get behind.

Part me of me thinks all these characters are going to be north fighting the WW, Jon, Brienne, Hound etc.... I feel that the person who kills the Night King is AA and the weapon used is Lightbringer.

We have been waiting six seasons for this climatic moment where Jon's heritage is revealed. Some thought we would find out through a resurrection in a pyre or some event that would reveal to the world his true identity. Part of me thinks we the viewers will find out, but those in the story will not. I think its going to be the same with AA. I don't think Jon or the Hound or whoever becomes AA will ever be revealed to those in the story. 

AA isn't a very explicit identity so I agree that it's most likely not going to be a straightforward reveal. Nobody knows who is AA, so it's totally possible that it will only be the audience seeing all the elements and having that Aha, this is AA then! moment, while the character won't really put two and two together and scream So I was AA! after slaying the NK. But then, if peace is made, I can totally see someone making a grand speech about how XY was AA our savior who slayed the NK (or did whatever AA was meant to do). 

Other reveals are different. Jon's parents are pretty explicit. There's an actual answer to that which Ned Stark knew and Howland Reed knows and Bran can track down (and potentially Littlefinger and/or Varys knows?). It's a fact and not an abstract prophecy. So I do expect him to find that out. It's supposed to have significance. 

5 hours ago, Jayc said:

Someone on another site brought up a very interesting fact regarding the show and AA.

Of the almost 60 episodes only 3 have opened with a prologue

The intro to the White Walkers

The creation of Oathkeeper

The reintroduction of the Hound

Its being theorized that this represents the 1: Enemy 2: The Flaming Sword 3: The One who wields it/AA

As others have stated, Beric and Thoros gave the "you are here and alive for a reason Sandor" speech. He is now on his way North. Brienne is in the neighborhood and looks like the show will link up to the book plot. Oathkeeper and Sandor and Thoros ability to light up swords. This is all kinda making sense that Sandor is AA,  and Oathkeeper is lightbringer (or whatever its called)

Edit: I also believe this is only a show plot. I still believe that the books Cleganbowl and AA being Jon or Dany or some compo.

Interesting theory! 

11 hours ago, RhaeBee said:

But since Stannis we know that having a flaming sword doesn't make you Azor Ahai. Any idiot can buy armor and set a sword on fire. 

Besides... The hound who has been established to be terrified of fire on a number of occasions picks up a flaming sword? That would be consistent and logical.

Wasn't it outright said that Stannis' sword was glamoured to look like it was flaming, but it was really just a trick. I suspect Azor Ahai will be the real mccoy

15 hours ago, lancerman said:

Wasn't it outright said that Stannis' sword was glamoured to look like it was flaming, but it was really just a trick. I suspect Azor Ahai will be the real mccoy

Fire and Blood

“All Valyrian magic was rooted in blood and fire. It is said that they could set dragonglass candles to burning with strange, unpleasantly-bright light. With the obsidian candles, they could see across vast distances, look into a man's mind, and speak with one another though they were half the world apart.”

Beric’s flaming sword is the real MᶜCoy as well, for he lights it with his own blood.  We can only hope that Lord Beric teaches his fellow “touched-by-fire” resurrectee the same awe-striking technique.

Failing that, Uncle Benjen could also teach his nephew Jon how to do this: remember his flaming morningstar’s efficacy against the dead converging on Bran. 

Finally even Thoros of Myr, the Red God’s mad priest, could also instruct our young Prince in the North in the mystery of his sword that burns

Barristan:  You were the first through the gates at Pyke.
Jorah:        The second. Thoros of Myr went in alone, with that flaming sword of his!
Barristan:  Hah! Thoros of Myr . . .  Bloody madman!

It all comes down to fire and blood. 

Even if the Lady Melisandre must needs resort to a cheap conjurer’s trick, all three of Benjen, Beric, and Thoros do know how to make this miracle of a sword that burns with real heat rather than just shining falsely with fairy foxfire.  Either one of those three will instruct Jon in their art, or else he is to discover it on his own:

Seek for the sword in the darkness:
      Sing songs the minstrels tell
Know him by not name alone
      But feats both fiery and fell.

15 minutes ago, Darksky said:

I hope there's no flaming sword in the battle. The very concept of a flaming sword is one of the dumbest ideas ever.

Since even a +1 flaming sword becomes +3 against undead, I don't expect to see it until Jon has to fight the Others’ hordes.  

Or himself. :leer:

On 6/16/2016 at 10:33 PM, Lord Davos Seaworth said:

I agree with this 100%. We may end up having a character (maybe multiple) who resemble Azor Ahai, but there will be no literal Azor Ahai reborn that has some crazy power and saves the entire realm. As you mentioned, the red God religion seems to resemble Christianity the most, where Azor Ahai would be akin to Jesus. The major purpose religion serves in the series is for characters to explain what cannot otherwise be understood. To us, most of these mysteries are supernatural so it's easy to believe there may actually be some sort of god/high power at play, but for all we know, things like resurrections, white walkers, dragons, etc may just be part of the natural laws of the aSoIaF universe.

So as I'm processing the overload of emotions last night brought, a thought crossed my mind, and its ironic that you quoted me in this topic. 

Is DavosSeaworth Azor Ahai Reborn? We have a man of humble birth rise up due to his sense of duty and righteousness, all the while unwillingly following a Red Priestess, a servant of Rhollor. While she doesn't quite fit the bill of being his "beloved," we know that prophecies and visions, especially her's, have been misinterpreted. 

Last night we have a beautiful scene of Davos finding the stag he carved for Shireen,moments before the battle AT dawn (not for). With nothing less to live for Davos acts just as recklessly as Jon, which is very out of character for him. The Lord of Light has seemed to bestow his greatest gifts to his followers when their faith is at their lowest points.

What is Mel's purpose at this point? With Winterfell taken will Davos use this opportunity of respite to confront Melisandre and deliver justice and vengeance for misleading and killing Stannis and Shireen? Will he finally do what he was imprisoned for years ago and successfully plunge his sword into Mels heart? And when he does, wouldn't it be fitting that the last thing she sees is him withdrawing the sword, blade aflame as it slides out of her breast? We as well as Davos have already seen much more supernatural things come of this womans body. 

The Onion knight,  reborn amongst smoke and fire at thBlackwater, is Azor Ahai. If he's not, no one is

• 3 months later...

Archived