Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mooz

Who was blowing the horns at Winterfell in ADWD?

Ok, so the infamous Theon/Ghost in Winterfell chapters had the Bolton company in Winterfell and apparently beset upon by Stannis' army outside.

There was the distinct and ominous blowing of the horns that basically went on all night, clearly signalling the attack.

But just before Roose sends out the Manderly and co. armies out for battle - the scene where "Big Walder" Frey is found dead and Wyman the Legend says “Though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey.”; Roose has a parchment which apparently says that Stannis' army is three days ride out.

“I see you all want blood,” the Lord of the Dreadfort said. Maester Rhodry stood beside him, a raven on his arm. The bird’s black plumage shone like coal oil in the torchlight. Wet, Theon realized. And in his lordship’s hand, a parchment. That will be wet as well. Dark wings, dark words. “Rather than use our swords upon each other, you might try them on Lord Stannis.” Lord Bolton unrolled the parchment. “His host lies not three days’ ride from here, snowbound and starving, and I for one am tired of waiting on his pleasure. Ser Hosteen, assemble your knights and men-at-arms by the main gates. As you are so eager for battle, you shall strike our first blow. Lord Wyman, gather your White Harbor men by the east gate. They shall go forth as well.”

- A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five - A Dance With Dragons, Chapter Fifty-One (Theon I)

So what on earth is going on? Had Stannis sent some horn blowers in advance to scare the shit out of Winterfell? Was it some other group?

Who was blowing the war horns outside of Winterfell?

I don't really know if it is clear from ADWD but from sample chapter from TWOW we know that

Spoiler

the Umbers blow the horns

It is confirmed in the last Asha chapter in ADWD, when she meets Theon.

Tycho Nestoris tells her that the Umbers (Mors is leading them) are there, Theon and Jeyne basically ran into them instantly after the jump.

“Who are you?” she called.
“Friends,” a half-familiar voice replied. “We looked for you at Winterfell, but found only Crowfood Umber beating drums and blowing horns. It took some time to find you.”

The banker studied her with shrewd dark eyes. “You are the Lady Asha of House Greyjoy, unless I am mistaken.”
“I am Asha of House Greyjoy, aye. Opinions differ on whether I’m a lady.”
The Braavosi smiled. “We’ve brought a gift for you.” He beckoned to the men behind him. “We had expected to find the king at Winterfell. This same blizzard has engulfed the castle, alas. Beneath its walls we found Mors Umber with a troop of raw green boys, waiting for the king’s coming. He gave us this.”
A girl and an old man, thought Asha, as the two were dumped rudely in the snow before her.