Don Inigima

Careerchat II

2 hours ago, Eyelesbarrow said:

Welllllll. After immigrating to another country (5 years ago!), getting my Master's, learning new skills (Python!), working for shit pay in order to learn said skills,  I have found myself in a proper job! It's in a consultancy that allows me to do some data analytics (and maybe more data science down the line). There is defo some future in it for me. The pay is pretty good and so are the benefits. It also allows me to stay in Berlin indefinitely, which is the most important thing. I only have a week in, but I am not spending so much energy worrying about the future, immigration, money, etc., which honestly, feels great.  

Congrats!  Glad everything is working out.  Good work on learning Python as well.  I tried once and learned I'm pretty shit at programming.  

3 hours ago, S John said:

Congrats!  Glad everything is working out.  Good work on learning Python as well.  I tried once and learned I'm pretty shit at programming.  

Python is really pretty easy and accessible.  I'd recommend it to anyone as an easy and cheap gateway to learning how to code.  I've been teaching my son some basics over the past year, building on what he learned in Scratch at school.

But you have to remember that learning a programming language is not the same as learning how to program well.  You should also learn some theory of how to code: how to structure it, write efficient code, integrate it with other code, data architecture, object-oriented programming, algorithms, etc.

15 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

But you have to remember that learning a programming language is not the same as learning how to program well.  You should also learn some theory of how to code: how to structure it, write efficient code, integrate it with other code, data architecture, object-oriented programming, algorithms, etc.

This is a very good advice.

When you have a solid foundation and cover the basics, programming is nowhere near as difficult as some people think it is.

Still, bear in mind that the best way to learn programming is to actually do it. You definitely need to learn object-oriented programming and algorithms, but there are some things you'll have to learn through experience. Sure, there are some guidelines and best practices you can read up on, but the fact is that in the beginning you are not likely to write a very efficient or well structured code.

Thanks for the advice, yeah I am pretty much still a beginner and started only late last year. My scripts are still shite and while I can grasp the steps I need to do, writing the code is a different animal altogether.  Sometimes I think, will this ever get easier? But I know I have to just practice and practice. 

and @S John Vielen Dank! 

Edited by Eyelesbarrow

I'm in IT, not really a developer in the traditional sense but I have some coding background and I use it to script and automate. I like Python a lot because the included libraries already cover tons of stuff that I'm used to having to reinvent the wheel on every time. Text parsing especially Python is really good at.