Does Jon learn about his parentage due to the death of Rickon Stark? (spoilers potentially)

2 hours ago, Net-Viper X said:

I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been brought up. Are we to presume that Ned's bones actually made it back to the crypt of Winterfel? Jon's words made it seem like that was the case. Not sure what significance that will have, but just curious all the same.

In season two, Littlefinger brought Ned's bones to Catelyn while they were in Renly's camp. Presumably, she had them sent up to Winterfell once she met back up with Robb. 

At this point, after so many wars and mayhem, and with the WW looming, I don't think anyone in all Westeros would care about Jon's parentage no matter what proves it.  The only practical difference it could make is that he could marry Sansa.

And it is even less relevant in a tv show where most northern houses don't care that Jon and Sansa are sons of Ned and siblings of the King of the North that recently died. 

Besides Varys, nobody in Westeros cared for Daenerys, a true and proven Targaryen, with dragons and armies.  Why would anybody support Jon Targaryen, a desertor of the NW that defeated the wildlings because Stannis appeared out of nowhere and defeated the Boltons because the vale army appeared out of nowhere.

When and if he will show a connection to dragons similar to Dany's or something like that, people might rally behind him.

2 hours ago, ivosan said:

Why would anybody support Jon Targaryen, a desertor of the NW that defeated the wildlings because Stannis appeared out of nowhere and defeated the Boltons because the vale army appeared out of nowhere.

Because during the Battle for the Dawn, Jon will defeat the Others when dragons appear out of nowhere.

You're missing the common thread here. All of these armies that pop up are popping up to defend Jon. He could head to the Summer Isles, and Dany's army and dragons would mysteriously detour over there, missing the Battle for the Dawn entirely.

There's an easy way to solve the Stark inheritance problems.

With Bran assumed dead Sansa becomes Queen in the North. She legitimizes Jon and then abdicates so he becomes King in the North, or at least he and his children are considered heirs and true Starks.

11 hours ago, RhaeBee said:

Previously I have vehemently argued that this would be horrible and wouldn't make any sense.

however, Jon just dropped this on us standing over Rickon's dead body. 

"I'm gonna bury my brother in the crypt, next to my father." 

This may be nothing. This may just be the first stark to be treated with honor after his death. Please tell me it's nothing. Please tell me it's not implying that something is about to happen in the crypt. 

I understand you're not fan of R+L=J? What would happen there? It's not like Jon is going to dig around and try to find clues. He could maybe glance at Lyanna's statue but maybe he just said to bury Rickon. 

1 hour ago, Lord Friendzone said:

I understand you're not fan of R+L=J? What would happen there? It's not like Jon is going to dig around and try to find clues. He could maybe glance at Lyanna's statue but maybe he just said to bury Rickon. 

I am a die hard fan of R+L, whether they equal D or J. I'm just very strongly against the idea of Jon finding out about his parentage through the burial of Rickon, that's been floating around in this thread. In my opinion, there is no way such scenario could make sense. Randomly coming upon an object in the crypt that's just been lying around for twenty years without anybody finding it and somehow figuring out something about his parents is cheap and not very realistic :/ That's my main concern, I'm fine with Jon having a look around the crypt. 

1 hour ago, RhaeBee said:

I am a die hard fan of R+L, whether they equal D or J. I'm just very strongly against the idea of Jon finding out about his parentage through the burial of Rickon, that's been floating around in this thread. In my opinion, there is no way such scenario could make sense. Randomly coming upon an object in the crypt that's just been lying around for twenty years without anybody finding it and somehow figuring out something about his parents is cheap and not very realistic :/ That's my main concern, I'm fine with Jon having a look around the crypt. 

Oh this. Yeah, that would be weird. I wish they just get over this theory and confirm it. R+L=J or whatever.

I would love one moment with Jon in front of Ned or Lyanna statue. He's going to blame himself for Rickon because that's who he is. Even tho it wasn't his fault. Askng for forgivness and glance at Lyanna's statue.

I think it would of been interesting for Jon to of had a revery whilst he was being swamped with bodies and near suffocated - he sees an image of a young woman with a crown of blue roses and she looks up at him - as the scene cuts back to the reality of the situation as he pulls himself free of the dead and the fleeing.

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2016 at 7:34 AM, RhaeBee said:

Fans (including myself) really enjoy discussing and theorizing how something will/can be proved in the story. Sometimes I get the feeling that we seriously over think these evidence issues. I feel like we are stuck in a modern day mind set and think that proving something takes scientific evidence, ten eye witnesses and video footage. In Game of Thrones world proof is knowing about a Dorne shaped birthmark, any one person's word, and having the right shade of hair. If they want to prove it they will. Even today, it's very very very difficult to prove something so it can't be attacked.

and I agree that it's more likely to affect his character rather than the storyline. Also agree that finding (only) Rhaegar's harp would be stupid, I'm all for a letter or a document (that maybe even tells us he was legitimate because mama and papa got married). I mean it wouldn't be the first time that someone dictated a letter on their death bed to Ned Stark and made him promise to help their son. Or maybe Rhaegar wrote something before he left for the Trident... Or maybe not and Jon will just have to trust Howland/Bran's visions. 

maybe we get a letter in Ned's hand, read by Jon, but voiced over by Lyanna. and it tells the truth of the ToJ and birth, but when Lyanna says the name of the baby, we see the letter and it reads "Jon", thus being the same as Ned taking Robert's dying statement and changed the name of a child.

Archived