Where all da Crannogmen at?

This is probably just wishful thinking on my part, but I would LOVE to see the crannogmen come up from the Neck and help win the battle for Winterfell. I know their style of fighting is a bit...different, but I just can't see Howland Reed, one of the Starks' most loyal banner men, sitting this one out. That man needs to make an appearance, and it would be so sweet if they ended up turning the tide of the battle (though that will probably be stinking Littlefinger with the Vale army). This would be a nice tie-in to however they come full-circle with the Tower of Joy teasers we've gotten this season. 

Sorry I doubt that. The most we can hope for both in the books and in the show is meeting Howard Reed, Meera's and Jojen's father. We never meet any crannogmen in the books either other than Reed kids. We just hear about them shooting poison arrows into Ironborn forces while hiding.

I wonder if we will meet or at least hear about Howland Reed through LF's storyline though? Isn't the Army of the Vale currently camped at Moat Caelin? So it's possible that LF has had some dealings with Reed. *shrug* We shall see, I suppose.

I believe they are hunting frogs in the bog. That is what they do, apparently. They certainly don't seem to engage in any battles. Howland Reeds sole action as the bannerman of Robb Stark was to send his two kids to keep Bran company and fill his head with nonsense.

Convincing him that ravens were speaking to him, and that he had to travel into the artic wasteland beyond the wall is not filling his head with nonsense? I'm pretty sure that if Robb or Catelyn knew about that they would be having a fit.

1 hour ago, tugela said:

Convincing him that ravens were speaking to him, and that he had to travel into the artic wasteland beyond the wall is not filling his head with nonsense? I'm pretty sure that if Robb or Catelyn knew about that they would be having a fit.

It's only nonsense if it wasn't true. Old Nan tried to tell you all, and you just kept ignoring her!

3 hours ago, tugela said:

Yeh blame the 3eyed crow then.  He was communicating with long before the reeds turned up. Good old nan x

1 hour ago, Tchzaelous said:

It's only nonsense if it wasn't true. Old Nan tried to tell you all, and you just kept ignoring 

Other than Meera and Jojen, there is no evidence that the Cranogmen even exist any more. If no one can find them, and they don't honor the banner call, what is even the point of them having a paramount lord at all? They sound more like the hill tribes of the Vale than a banner house.

Other than Meera and Jojen, there is no evidence that the Cranogmen even exist any more. If no one can find them, and they don't honor the banner call, what is even the point of them having a paramount lord at all? They sound more like the hill tribes of the Vale than a banner house.

Didn't Robb sent Howland Reed a letter? Maybe they have a special assignment? But anyway, kind of strange they're not really involved in te story so far... we hear next to nothing from them...

4 hours ago, Darksky said:

It's plot convenience from Martin. Can't have House Reed involved because he'd have to introduce Howland Reed. And that dude knows too much while Martin wants to stall the plot and preserve mystery.. 

Seriously? None of this is true or accurate for the books. You'd know if you read them. If they are left out of the to show, then that is on D&D. 

I did read them once years ago, thankyouverymuch. I do regret reading the last two books. What a waste of time that was. but anyway

Martin himself said he hadn't introduced Howland Reed because the dude knows too much..ergo plot convenience. That's what I meant, I was not commenting on the show's lack of Reed's involvement.

9 hours ago, Count Winter said:

Didn't Robb sent Howland Reed a letter? Maybe they have a special assignment? But anyway, kind of strange they're not really involved in te story so far... we hear next to nothing from them...

That letter was Rob's will legitimizing Jon as a Stark and Rob 's heir.  He also knows Jon is Rhaegar and Lyanna's son.  Howland Reed.  I cannot put my disgust for him into words at this point.  

If we ever see the Crannogmen fighting I think it will only be against the White Walkers. They just wouldn't have a hope in the sort of battle that we're getting this episode. Hopefully we'll see Howland Reed as a proper speaking character though. I don't believe he is cravenly hiding in the bog, having sent his kids into danger. Robb had no problem with him not joining his war, and made a point of saying how much Ned thought of him. Ned and Robb were Stark lords, they expected support from their bannermen, they wouldn't let Howland off without good reason. There's just a lot we don't know about him.

Archived