Match day 9: Belgium/Ireland, Hungary/Iceland, Portugal/Austria

All three matches today are really interesting to me.

1.Will Belgium be able to put it together, or will Ireland work as a better team?

2. Iceland can probably make it through with a win today and is playing a team that is beatable. They are my underdog favorite this year.

3. Portugal should have this, but can Austria come back from their disappointment? 

It will be a fun day I think.

I hope these are more fun than yesterday.

I think Belgium vs Ireland will be close, but Belgium will probably win with a last minute goal or something.

Hungry vs Iceland could really go either way, there's no predicting it since they both exceeded expectations in their first matches. It's the human catapult vs the jogging-pants-wearing grandpa. I think it will be very fun with lots of goals and I'm happy at least one of them will be in the knockout stage.

Portugal vs Austria will probably be close, I predict a draw.

Three really interesting matches today.

1. Belgium v Ireland. Belgium have the better players but Ireland have the better manager. I think Ireland will get something out of this game.

2. Hungary v Iceland. Could go either way. Both teams can pretty much seal qualification with a win so hopefully we'll see two teams going for it. A narrow win for the Polar Bears.

3. Austria v Portugal. Both teams wil hope to improve massively after terrible performances in their last games. An Austria win would really put the cat among the pigeons in this group.

At least Wilmots has made some sensible changes to the starting XI by dropping Fellaini, moving KdB to #10 and bringing in Carrasco on the right. Dembele in for Nainggolan as well. I'm hoping Belgium pick up the win and put in a decent performance rather than looking like eleven individuals thrown together and hoping for the best.

Shame for the Irish: that first goal came from a break after a stonewall penalty not given, and it changed the shape of the game. The belief the Belgians have been lacking suddenly arrived and it was soon over.

I still think a decent team will turn Belgium over, talented as they are, but I've been wrong before! (Many, many times...)

Belgium showed what they are capable of today, however if they are ever going to go on and actually win things or be serious contenders then they will need to consistently produce this level of performance. They blow hot and cold too often. A better manager than Wilmots wouldn't hurt either.

13 minutes ago, Emre Mor-mont said:

Shame for the Irish: that first goal came from a break after a stonewall penalty not given,

The high boot? I wouldn't call that stonewall per se - very seldom seen them given, to be honest. 

23 minutes ago, Raja said:

The high boot? I wouldn't call that stonewall per se - very seldom seen them given, to be honest. 

I've seen them given quite often, but that's beside the point. The point is, it's clearly and unambiguously a direct free kick offence committed in the box, so it's a penalty.

Just now, Emre Mor-mont said:

I've seen them given quite often, but that's beside the point. The point is, it's clearly and unambiguously a direct free kick offence committed in the box, so it's a penalty.

Yeah - I get what you mean. Perhaps I just don't want enough football outside of the english league. 

Archived