Group A & B match 3: Switzerland/France, Romania/Albania, Wales/Russia, England/Slovakia

This is a thread for both today and tomorrow's matches. Since they will be broadcast simultaneously, and there is only two a day, I combined today and tomorrow for discussion. All I really have to say is... 

Go Wales !!! Beat Rwsia !!!

Well, group B probably has a more interesting setup here, with Wales and Russia battling for a spot and Slovakia still has a chance as well, if they score at least 1 point, assuming 4 will be the cutoff. I think Wales will probably win, since the Russians are very weak both offensively and defensively. I'm hoping for an English win here, of course, but I think a draw is more likely.

As for today's matches, Albania vs. Romania is really anyone's guess. Romania are completely inept offensively and made their two goals with very stupid/harsh penalties. On the other hand, Albania hasn't been too impressive either and will probably once again get a couple of 100%-chances and not score. Switzerland vs. France will be interesting, it's the first real test for both teams. At the 2014 WC Switzerland completely imploded against France in the group stages, so I'm hoping for some revenge. The winner of this match will probably get really far.

Switzerland v. France: Don't think Deschamps will make wholesale changes for this game as top spot in the group isn't guaranteed. What I'd like to see is Cabaye coming in for Matuidi as France need someone in that midfield who can get their foot on the ball, dictate play and exert a measure of control on the game. Would also like to see Digne coming in for Evra. Something that will factor into Deschamps' thinking is that Giroud and Kante are a booking away from being suspended for the round of 16, so I think it more likely that Cabaye comes in for Kante and Gignac/Martial for Giroud. Going for a 2-1 France win.

Romania v. Albania: Both are well organised, hard working sides but offer very little going forward. Think this one will either be 0-0 or 1-0 win for Romania.

I heard that Dechamps has already said he wants to rest Giroud and Kante, who are on yellow cards, and that he would like to "put Payet on ice", so don't be surprised if there are some changes.

But I suspect they'll still have too much for Switzerland, who have looked a bit underwhelming so far. And the Swiss lose, Romania will pass them if they win by 2+ goals (or win by one while the Swiss lose by more than one), so the Romanians should come out all guns blazing.

Group B is tighter, with no team eliminated yet (I guess Albania could technically go through if they finish 3rd on 3 pts, but it's an unlikely scenario), but if Wales play to the level they did against Slovakia, you'd fancy them to beat the lacklustre Russians and secure their progress to the knock-out stages. England - Slovakia could go any which way, I would put it at 35%-40%-25%. Hamsik and Weiss are the two players who could potentially cause England problems, and if England don't start Sturridge (and/or Vardy), you've got to wonder where their goals are gonna come from.

I'm hopeful that this round will see the tournament really kick into gear, which should mean more action-packed matches with end-to-end football.

Predictions:

France - Le Suisse  2-1

Romania - Albaina 1-0

Wales - Russia 2-0

England - Slovakia 1-1

I'm not sure which match to watch tonight.

Both the French and Swiss will be happy with a draw, and France are apparently planning to rest Giroud and a few others, so it might end up being quite a boring game. On the other hand Romania and Albania need the win, but neither are the most exciting teams.

As for Group B, I expect a comfortable win for England and a nervy draw for Wales.

28 minutes ago, Mmerek Hamšzulíe said:

Group B is tighter, with no team eliminated yet (I guess Albania could technically go through if they finish 3rd on 3 pts, but it's an unlikely scenario),

As far as I can tell Ukraine is the only team eliminated after 2 rounds while France, Spain and Italy are through to top16. Only Ukraine and Italy have nothing to play for in their 3rd matches.

I'll multi screen them both. As others have said, I would imagine France - Switzerland will be a convenient draw, but both Albania and Romania need a win to have any real chance of progression, so that one should be more entertaining.

Kante, Payet and Giroud on the bench (among others) for France :(  all in my fantasy team. Not happy with Deschamps... I expect a goalless match. 

As for Albania vs Romania, it should be more fun to watch. I hope Albania wins or at least scores in their first major tournament. 

Heh, I don't think I've ever seen a ball pop like that in a professional game before, or any game which hasn't featured either a fly away or a ball that's absolutely knackered from playing on a playground for weeks.

Archived