Group A & B match 3: Switzerland/France, Romania/Albania, Wales/Russia, England/Slovakia

England have a real problem with discipline in front of goal here. They are trying to drive every shot in on a first touch, and every one is getting blocked because it's straight at a defender. If they tried to draw the defenders out of position, and paced things better, there'd be far more chance of them getting something in.

England have played well so far. I was a bit worried that all those changes may result in a lack of cohesion but that hasn't been the case. England just need to find that extra bit of quality in the final third. I hope this doesn't turn out to be like the Russia game.

Great game by Wales, I've been very impressed by them so far and I hope the stay in the tournament a bit longer.

The England-Slovakia game was boring as fuck though. Impressive defence from Slovakia, but England are fucking terrible at handling their scoring chances. 

Hodgson will inevitably get criticised, but had Slovakia and Russia given England as much space as they gave Wales they would easily have got maximum points. With Alli out of form creating clear cut chances has been problematic, so hopefully getting a more adventurous side in the last 16 will allow England to counter. It would be ironic if by finishing second we get an 'easier' draw, when a harder one was more beneficial.

That was an amazing thing to watch. Wales might not b among the top tier teams in the tournament, but if they play the way they did in group stage, they have a shot against anyone. I can't tell you how happy I am that my draw happened to be this team. They are incredibly easy to cheer for.

Oh... and my man crush on Gareth Bale gets bigger every day.

Oh England, why do you do it to us? Our crossing was abysmal today and we didn't create many clear cut chances. Definitely a mistake to rest Rooney who's been brilliant so far. Even when he came on he was playing his traditional England role (surging from deep to little effect) instead of sitting back and controlling the midfield.

Oh well. Chances are we'll avoid Portugal in the next round but we've only got ourselves to blame when we lose to France in the quarters.

Delighted for Wales and in particular Sam Vokes (Burnley legend).

Delighted for Wales (and happy I chose to watch that match, though I also had the England game on the PC screen). To go through the group stages is good, to do it top of the group is excellent, and to get there by beating Russia (even this rather poor version) 3-0 is amazing.

England, well, that match looked disappointing all round. Slovakia settled for the draw, and for all Roy Hodgson's complaining about that attitude, he made six changes to his first eleven so he clearly hadn't prioritised a win very highly either. (OK, a couple of those were changes he might have made anyway, but that number of changes isn't consistent with a game you feel you need to win.)

Archived