Group A & B match 3: Switzerland/France, Romania/Albania, Wales/Russia, England/Slovakia

I'm not even biassed. I'm Scottish, but most of my Twitter friends are English, and I really hope they do well. But England are going to get massacred in the next round unless they get drilled on when to pass the ball in front of goal when dealing with park the bus defenders. They did everything right last night but score, and their finishing was woeful. Sturridge either aims the ball straight at a keeper or defender or misses sitters, and England has no naturally gifted corner technicians, and they aren't even trying to compensate for that. Last night, you could see them deliberately passing the ball short far too often without even trying to put the ball into the box because they knew it would just get headed away. They probably had the right intentions there, but their absence of creativity when dealing with stringly defensive teams is going to cost them badly in the tournament unless they get a good tug round the ears.

Archived