4 minutes ago, Hodor&Bran said:

Battles getting old?  Read:

Julius Caesar's War Commentaries

We STILL use what he wrote about in this century and during WWll.  Or The Art Of War by Sun Tzu.

That we do indeed. Caesar’s commentaries are immortal; there’s a reason for that.

9 minutes ago, Arataniello said:

Some nice camera work during the battle with the horse charge.

For fuck's sake Rickon, do you not know to weave about while running?

NO Ghost.  What a complete joke.

Or run behind one of the obstacles that have been planted in the course. 

31 minutes ago, Rory Snow said:

Just rewatched the battle scene and I have to say, Jon Snow standing alone (he thinks) with his sword raised with the Bolton cavalry bearing down on him is just ballsy as hell

And it was real, too.  Watch the HBO mini-documentaries on it.  That wasn't green screen.  That really was a cavalry charge bearing down upon him.

Don't get me wrong; I loved the dragons.  But there's just something awesome about reality.

8 minutes ago, hallam said:

Or run behind one of the obstacles that have been planted in the course. 

This!! If Rickon was smarter I really think he (maybe)  could have survived Ramsay's little game. Either zig zag or turn around and look to see where the arrow is coming from. (I bet Ramsay would have had the whole archery section shoot him down then).

But I was also really annoyed at Jon falling for all of Ramsay's traps. I don't know how I feel about Sansa. I know people are mad at her, but honestly I think she did the right thing. She knew Ramsay would have a trap for Jon and would use his entire army to do so. However, I expected them to have some kind of secret solution for how to get into Winterfell when the walls are down. If Wun Wun hadn't sacrificed himself wouldn't we be faced with a siege at this point? Did anyone see LF with the Knights of the Vale? I didn't...

They were basically toast and would have all died (when the music started and Jon was being trampled I almost fainted because I thought Jon was going to be dead also!)

Love, love, love that it was Sansa who watched Ramsay finally die, and that it was the dogs that did it.

Where the f*** is Ghost?

8 minutes ago, Winter Blues said:

Honestly, when the show does something I like, I need to just avoid these forums, completely. Suddenly everyone's a Medieval battle commander... :/  

Yes, I agree. The whining has been awful this season. People just haven't been showing how clever they are by complaining that the show isn't exactly like the books.

41 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:
1 hour ago, Rory Snow said:

Just rewatched the battle scene and I have to say, Jon Snow standing alone (he thinks) with his sword raised with the Bolton cavalry bearing down on him is just ballsy as hell

And it was real, too.  Watch the HBO mini-documentaries on it.  That wasn't green screen.  That really was a cavalry charge bearing down upon him.

Don't get me wrong; I loved the dragons.  But there's just something awesome about reality.

I saw it as somewhat suicidal, not caring anymore about himself. After he tells Melisandre not to resurrect him again, and with how he has been acting subdued, it was almost like he didn't want to survive the battle, just going thru the motions.. I kind of hope with the scene where Jon is getting trampled by his own people and he has to fight his way up just to breathe, might be a turning point for him, that he realizes he does want to live. so hopefully we will see old Jon again.

Edited by Dizzy Walker
spelling

8 minutes ago, LifeRuiner said:

They are Neapolitan mastiffs, I'm told.

Those guys certainly have more of a hound look to them.  You might be right.  I focused on how muscular they were and the cropped ears, but if they have that hound muzzle then I could easily be off there.

Jon pretty much cemented a legendary persona after this battle. Adding to the stories people will hear about him killing a walker and taking on the army of the dead after holding off 100,000 wildlings he guy was, quite literally, in the thick and middle of a cavalry charge and fighting off everything that came his way. 

He may not (he isn't) be the best swordsman in the world at moment but he sure will be considered as much by a large handful of people when the stories start to fly around the world. The guy has accomplished a whole lot. I kept thinking of the Battle of the Trident when he was in the middle of the battle and all the stories Robert would say about "those days". He certainly made a name for himself, especially at the end when the men could have sniped Ramsay but Jon picked up a shield and charged him only to beat the crap out of him with fists. He just became a fookin' legend in the North. 

The one Northern Lord we didn't see was Karstark. I wonder how that will end up considering Umber was killed by Tormund. I have to think that Sansa will grant land and title to Tormund for the part he played and the wildlings will likely live under that banner much like House Thenn in the books. 

... but seriously... the legend of Jon is just peak right now in the North. 

1 hour ago, TheSerb said:

LF is not a warrior and he's a manipulator who's definitely not stupid enough to go into battle himself and risk losing everything he's obtained. Lord Royce could have been, but I don't see him as a particular soldier either. Sweetrobin...lol. I won't even make a comment on that.

As for Sansa keeping it all a secret, it's simply more entertaining for it to be a Big Damn Heroes moment.

Yeah, the Big Damn Heroes moment could have used the hilariousness of Robin's dull-brained face leading the charge.  "We're getting saved by this shrimp?! haha"  Or something like that.

Re: Sansa and the Vale. She knew they needed more strength. She sent Brienne to Riverrun and a raven to Littlefinger. But she didn't know if either appeal would actually deliver the support they needed. Obviously, Brienne failed, but Sansa can't know what Littlefinger will do. She doesn't trust him anymore. And she doesn't entirely trust Jon, thanks to LF's manipulative little parting shot the last time they met. So she tries to stall. But Jon is acting exactly like Stannis "Forward, Only Forward" Baratheon. What's she going to do? Say, "I sent a raven to Littlefinger. I'm sure he'll send the Vale. Let's just stay encamped here and hope a storm (or twenty good men) doesn't blow in and doom us just like Stannis"?

She's throwing the proverbial spaghetti at the wall. She's in a situation where she lacks expertise (at understatement) and doesn't know whether or not her hoped-for reinforcements will show up. And if they do, part of her wants it to be her victory (her army) and not Jon's. Worked for me.

Plus we got a classic "cavalry coming over the hill" scene. ;)