Very happy with this episode. So many events happened!

The Starks finally take back Winterfell...the Direwolf flies over the castle once again. This is a huge moment! It's been four long seasons since there was a Stark in Winterfell. 

Also, on a grander, historical note. House Stark has finally triumphed over their most ancient enemy, House Bolton. Roose thought he avenged his ancestors, the Red Kings of the Dreadfort, who had warred against the Starks for centuries, but all his plans came to nothing because he put his trust in his sadistic son. Roose's blindness towards the threat that Ramsay posed to him was his great weakness and it undid his House. Now they are basically the Reynes of the North....

Also really enjoyed seeing all three dragons unleashed at once upon the Slavers' Fleet. The Second Field of Fire. Loved seeing Tyrion as Hand of the Queen. He looks so natural ruling beside Dany. I absolutely love the Tyrion Lannister serves Daenerys Targaryen as Hand just as his father, Tywin Lannister served Aerys Targaryen, her father. When the Lion and the Dragon work together the realm is better for it. 

The best part of the episode is the further character development of Sansa. Her transition from a "little bird" to the She-Wolf of Winterfell is fantastic. At this point, I don't care how dark she gets, her story arc is one of the best in the series. Bring on Dark Sansa!

3 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Did anybody see Harald Karstark die during the battle? I dont recall seeing him after the pre-fight parlay.

No, he is the one Lord from Ramsay's side who we do not know about at moment. I can't imagine Sansa forgiving him after siding with the man who did all he did and killed her brother. 

Seriously, great episode! First time this season I actually felt it was a satisfatory episode after the show. 

Much action, the few dialogues were very witty ('your dad was an ass' / 'we have that in common'), no boring speeches from the high sparrow, that scene with the dragon...wow, best cgi! The dragon itself seemed to be burning inside like an incandescent coal? Fire made fucking flesh!

The battle was brutal! And very well done, you do get a sense of being lost in thst chaos as it must be in real life. And all those bodies forming piles and piles...fucking terrifying.

It is disturbing how it feels so good to see a man be eaten by dogs. 

Sansa shouldve talked about the army. They couldve planned a complete different strategie. They didnt havr to show up with that many man, they could have hidden it, used as an advantage. So the  'helms deep syndrome' did bother me a little. Almost expecting to see Gandalf  in a white cloak. 

Also wondering where the hell was ghost.

Most of stark's, umber's, karstark's, bolton's and mormont's bannermen were either killed in the red wedding or in the battle for winterfell. The wildlings are also mostly dead.  How many fighting man are there left to protect the north?

Edited by Sand Snakes

46 minutes ago, Winter Blues said:

Honestly, when the show does something I like, I need to just avoid these forums, completely. Suddenly everyone's a Medieval battle commander... :/  

Preach! So much nit-picking. It was pretty damn good.

1 minute ago, Greg B said:

Re: Sansa and the Vale. She knew they needed more strength. She sent Brienne to Riverrun and a raven to Littlefinger. But she didn't know if either appeal would actually deliver the support they needed. Obviously, Brienne failed, but Sansa can't know what Littlefinger will do. She doesn't trust him anymore. And she doesn't entirely trust Jon, thanks to LF's manipulative little parting shot the last time they met. So she tries to stall. But Jon is acting exactly like Stannis "Forward, Only Forward" Baratheon. What's she going to do? Say, "I sent a raven to Littlefinger. I'm sure he'll send the Vale. Let's just stay encamped here and hope a storm (or twenty good men) doesn't blow in and doom us just like Stannis"?

She's throwing the proverbial spaghetti at the wall. She's in a situation where she lacks expertise (at understatement) and doesn't know whether or not her hoped-for reinforcements will show up. And if they do, part of her wants it to be her victory (her army) and not Jon's. Worked for me.

Plus we got a classic "cavalry coming over the hill" scene. ;)

I agree. She has no reason to trust Littlefinger, or anyone at all, really. The last time she saw him she basically told him to go to hell, so how could she be sure that he would show up? Or that he wouldn't show up and turn cloak? Yes, Sansa has become an uber-bitch, with good reason. She's been tormented all of her adult life. She's lost all feeling. It's almost like she has a stone heart... 

Ghost: whatever the excuse was for keeping him out of the battle, I'm glad they did. He would have died. 

2 minutes ago, med1 said:

No, he is the one Lord from Ramsay's side who we do not know about at moment. I can't imagine Sansa forgiving him after siding with the man who did all he did and killed her brother. 

1 minute ago, jandslegate said:

I'm curious about that too. Maybe they saved him for Jon to behead in ep. 10. LOL double whammy, Karstarks.

Thanks gents, wasnt sure if I just missed it.

The Truede leaks, which have been straight on the money said that Jon would kill Harald during the battle, weird.

9 minutes ago, med1 said:

Notice how Sansa told Ramsay that his House would disappear? Bolton's go the way of Reyne and will be dismantled/eradicated. I wonder what the punishment will be for Karstark and Umber. 

If any remaining Karstarks and Umbers bend the knee to their new liege lord/lady, they'll be pardoned. 

Just now, Sand Snakes said:

Seriously, great episode! First time this season I actually felt it was a satisfatory episode after the show. 

Much action, the few dialogues were very witty ('your dad was an ass' / 'we have that in common'), no boring spechees from the high sparrow, that scene with the dragon...wow, best cgi! The dragon itself seemed to be burning inside like an incandescent coal? Fire made fucking flesh!

The battle was brutal! And very well done, you do get a sense of being lost in thst chaos as it must be in real life. And all those bodies forming piles and piles...fucking terrifying.

It is disturbing how it feels so good to see a man be eaten by dogs. 

Sansa shouldve talked about the army. They couldve planned a complete different strategie. They didnt havr to show up with that many man, they could have hidden it, used as an advantage. So the  'helms deep syndrome' did bother me a little. Almost expecting to see Gandalf  in a white cloak. 

Also wondering where the hell was ghost.

Most of stark's, umber's, karstark's, bolton's and mormont's bannermen were either killed in the red wedding or in the battle for winterfell. The wildlings are also mostly dead.  How many fighting man are there left to protect the north?

A good mix of Saving Private Ryan and Braveheart is what I thought of the battle scenes. How is it possible for Ned or anyone to come out of that a sane person? 

As stupid as Jon was for not listening to Sansa, it is miraculous that he survives making the PtwP theories Mel has about him even more substantial.

I liked the scene between Davos and Tormund, it portrays the different perspectives of the meaning of "demon". Davos intended it to be a symbol or metaphor whereas Tormund treated the word as fact. That subtle writing is pretty creative at the least.

2 minutes ago, tmug said:

A good mix of Saving Private Ryan and Braveheart is what I thought of the battle scenes. How is it possible for Ned or anyone to come out of that a sane person? 

As stupid as Jon was for not listening to Sansa, it is miraculous that he survives making the PtwP theories Mel has about him even more substantial.

I liked the scene between Davos and Tormund, it portrays the different perspectives of the meaning of "demon". Davos intended it to be a symbol or metaphor whereas Tormund treated the word as fact. That subtle writing is pretty creative at the least.

Agreed about TPTWP, it seemed Jon definitely had a higher power watching over him. 

2 minutes ago, tmug said:

I don't think Jon was stupid (I think he has a bit of a death wish now, but that's another matter). He has a solid (classic) plan to defeat a larger force in the field. He doesn't want to wait around for a snow storm and desertions to attrite his already small force (that happened to someone else recently, in the same place; can't remember his name). Sansa isn't stupid either. She doesn't know if Blackfish or Littlefinger will show up, or when, or in Littlefinger's case, even whose side he'll be on if he does show up. Everyone's in the fog of war, but in my opinion, acting pretty logically.

But yes, Jon definitely looked like he had Magic Prophecy Armor in that battle! Very well done.  

Two questions: First, I thought Dany's dragons had already been released by Tyrion in a previous episode? So why did they break out of the prison in this one....

Second, was Jon pushed down by some of his own men during the later battle sequence (for protection)? I didn't quite catch what happened in that part.

8 minutes ago, tmug said:

Yeah! They do get it quite right when they are not trying to be tyrion-funny or hs-boring. The dialogues this episodes where better than average during this season.

26 minutes ago, Cormac- First of His Name said:

Side bar - did anyone else think it was weird that Dany was able to control Viserion and Rhaegal during the the attack on the ships? They looked sort of like they were attacking in formation, but how could Dany have that influence over them after bonding with Drogon?

Yeah. How is she controling Drogon btw? The last we saw her in the book she was fleeing and almost dying cause she couldnt ger drogon to take her where she wanted to go. How it is that all of a sudden she can control him? Taegeryans used to use magic, but she has no such powers. When she controls drogon in the pit she uses a whip.

I have nothing to base this on, but I think maybe you can replace Jon with Stannis in the battle of the bastards and that will be how it goes in the book (with a few changes for sure). Maybe Jon is never a part of the battle to retake Winterfell just like he wasn't at Hardhome in the books.

29 minutes ago, Starfire25 said:

Two questions: First, I thought Dany's dragons had already been released by Tyrion in a previous episode? So why did they break out of the prison in this one....

Second, was Jon pushed down by some of his own men during the later battle sequence (for protection)? I didn't quite catch what happened in that part.

First: No, Tyrion didn't release the dragons, he take out their chains, in the books they do that all by themself.

Second: He was pushed down by some of his own men not by protection but because they were in panic mode trying to safe themself