2 minutes ago, Ser Creighton said:

Dany said she was going to kill all the Masters, not just the 3 that were in Meereen, and not just their fleet, all of them as in Volantis, Qarth, Yunkai etc... She was going to destroy all their cities. Tyrion talked her down. There was little blood shed for a battle. Dany destroyed 1 ship, Greyworm talked the guard into leaving without any of them being harmed and 2 Masters were killed after they attempted to sacrifice the third.

They made an example of those guys. They broke a pact, attacked Meereen and got off lucky. The third master was released to spread the word. It wasn't really a battle, it was a quick minor engagement to make a point. Point being don't push your luck. You say no party surrendered but the Masters did surrender. It only took one ship and 2 masters. Look how many died in Jon's battle and Dany and the Masters had much larger forces.

It's similar to what Aegon used to do, offer surrender, if it's not excepted make an example. They could of killed 10's of thousands of people, a Handful of Harpies who are the ones attacking, a couple of Masters who broke a pact and 1 ship out what is suppose to be hundreds. Dany was planning on removing all of them from the face of the earth. Leveling entire cities, the death toll could of been in the hundreds of thousands.

In most wars you don't end up with a peace that quick and so little loss of life. It was a good plan, simple and effective, now a lot of people are not going to die, I mean a lot. That's why in the conversation between Tyrion and Dany he brought up her father wanting to burn cities. Because Dany was going to totally wreck them, no more masters, no more cities, countless dead. Instead it was a ship attacking a city, Harpies attacking innocent unarmed people, and 2 Masters. There are thousands of masters, and they have armies, and servants, and sell swords, and cities full of people. Hell I think Jon killed more people by himself than died in the battle for Meereen.

Um.. when you say it like that, ok. :) I supposed that when Tyrion was talking about an alternate approach, I was imagining something more different. However I'd say that from the scene the outcome was not entirely clear. We see Dany burn only 1 ship but I expected her to burn the rest as well, although Tyrion mumbles something about ships. When Daario and dothraki ride to Meereen, I expected them to kill the soldiers (as I expected the Maesters to have an army). So the problem might have been my imagination, I admit. But I think that they could have made the intentions more obvious.

15 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

Um.. when you say it like that, ok. :) I supposed that when Tyrion was talking about an alternate approach, I was imagining something more different. However I'd say that from the scene the outcome was not entirely clear. We see Dany burn only 1 ship but I expected her to burn the rest as well, although Tyrion mumbles something about ships. When Daario and dothraki ride to Meereen, I expected them to kill the soldiers (as I expected the Maesters to have an army). So the problem might have been my imagination, I admit. But I think that they could have made the intentions more obvious.

Dany needs the ships tho' so burning them all wouldn't really serve the greater purpose. One would think decimating one ship and it's crew with dragon fire would settle the rest down a bit

12 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

She kept the ships, that's confirmed in a later scene. She needs ships, she kept those and added Yara and the Iron fleet to it. She was talking about ships in one of her earlier episodes and how many she would need. Tyrion thanked the masters for the ships. It was a demonstration of power. Personally I think the moment Drogon shows up the Masters should been like "about that the surrender"

I thought what was strange was that both Jon and Greyworm say essentially the same thing. Greyworm asked the soldiers why they would fight and die for the masters when the masters would never do that for you. Go home to your families. While Jon used the same basic idea with Ramsey, pointing out that why would the North men fight for Ramsey when he would not fight for them. I thought we might see some defectors. It had little point in this episode maybe another, but I don't think any of Ramsey's men survived.

9 hours ago, plectrum said:

Hold tight, I just spotted a logical problem.  

Jon says he wants Rickon buried in the crypt "beside my father."  Ned's bones never got to Winterfell that I'm aware of.  

This also stopped my thoughts. Is it yet again sloppy writing by D&D or have I missed something?

43 minutes ago, nara said:

I hope that Sansa and Jon have a conversation next week about how to track down Bran and Arya, whom they now know may still be alive.

It would be good, but think they will have other problems to deal with. If the WW don't show up sooner than later,, they still have Littlefinger to deal with. They still have to work with the bannermen that refused to supportive them before the battle, and they have a lot of houses that  fought against them.  They need to rebuild the North and all those houses back on Team Stark or deal with the houses that might refuse. 

9 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

This might have taken Hardhome's place as my all time favorite episode.

And RIP Dany will become a villain theory, D&D smashed it in the inside the episode.

Dany is a solid Fuerer-type villain with all the seemingly softening and charming characteristics that make people actually fall for the idea that supporting her is a good thing. Her story can only end well if she is destroyed. Her only possible positive contribution is that she interrupts and  destroys old stagnating power structures. But her in power is a disaster.

10 minutes ago, Gloer said:

This also stopped my thoughts. Is it yet again sloppy writing by D&D or have I missed something?

LF gave his remains to Catelyn in season 3, there is no reason to believe that she didn't have them shipped north and put in the crypts.

6 minutes ago, dbunting said:

LF gave his remains to Catelyn in season 3, there is no reason to believe that she didn't have them shipped north and put in the crypts.

OK. I did miss that. So happy it wasn't bad writing.

However Seasons 5 and 6 have had many badly written plots that it has become a first reaction to every detail that it is just bad writing.

Before you paid attention to spot clues and intrigue. You were spell bound and there was a total suspenson of disbelief.

Now it is just disbelief first: bad writing.

That is what you get by dumbing down the story.

Edited by Gloer

One bit of very cool foreshadowing ... when Davos is standing over the pit where he found the charred Stag, the battle horn goes off. Three blasts. Then a gust of wind blows. I know it was a call to battle, but it also goes back to the "one for rangers returning, two for wildlings, three for white walkers" code. Had to have been intentional, yes? 

58 minutes ago, elbucho3 said:

One bit of very cool foreshadowing ... when Davos is standing over the pit where he found the charred Stag, the battle horn goes off. Three blasts. Then a gust of wind blows. I know it was a call to battle, but it also goes back to the "one for rangers returning, two for wildlings, three for white walkers" code. Had to have been intentional, yes? 

Nah. Just sloppy writing. They wouldn't have noticed such nyance.

2 hours ago, Gloer said:

Why would that be of any importance? He would've seen it before.

If Jon and Sansa go to see Lyanna together, Sansa might tell Jon about the conversation that she had with Littlefinger.  That might make Jon search out Howland Reed for the truth about what happened during Robert's Rebellion.

Or it is intentional.

I know the book bias is strong amongst somewhere but the show isn't a wreck as implied by hardcore book fans.

I approve of the show doubling down on the actually important characters and cutting away the fat aka lesser characters.

Only big crime is Gendry still being mia.