[Poll] How would you rate episode 609?

How would you rate episode 609?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I'll give it points for the cinematography. It was exquisite camera work. The Mereen stuff was actually rather solidly written.

Unfortunately, the writing for the North just failed. Failed hard enough that the cinematography and Mereen don't make up for the stupidity. Admittedly, the stupidity has been ongoing for most of this season, but prolonged stupidity is no less stupid.

Jon explicitly asks Sansa "Where do you suggest we get more men?" And she says nothing.

Right now, it looks like Sansa was deliberately setting Jon and the Stark-loyal forces up to get slaughtered by Ramsay.

1 minute ago, Kytheros said:

I'll give it points for the cinematography. It was exquisite camera work. The Mereen stuff was actually rather solidly written.

Unfortunately, the writing for the North just failed. Failed hard enough that the cinematography and Mereen don't make up for the stupidity. Admittedly, the stupidity has been ongoing for most of this season, but prolonged stupidity is no less stupid.

Jon explicitly asks Sansa "Where do you suggest we get more men?" And she says nothing.

Right now, it looks like Sansa was deliberately setting Jon and the Stark-loyal forces up to get slaughtered by Ramsay.

could she have not actually have known they were coming, and wanted to wait for confirmation before potentially letting Jon know?

Giving it a 7, after long consideration. As far as production is concerned, you can't fault this episode. They really brought out the CGI big guns for Mereen. And that battle? Talk about the horrors of war. For a show that's always struggled with their depiction of violence, I thought they handled it pretty well, and that battle felt far more cautoinary than most violence has been on the show up till this point.

However... The false and contrived emotional stakes were a big problem in this one. The only time I felt real tension throughout the whole episode was when Rickon was running; other than that, I could (and did) predict every major beat of this episode, from Dany going fire and blood on the slavers (and slaves, btw), to Davos finding out what happened to Shireen, to Jon's army getting completely destroyed, to the Arryn reinforcements riding in to save the day (that has literally happened on every battle in the show so far), to finally Ramsay getting eaten by his own dogs. Seriously, what was the point of that entire battle when we KNEW Littlefinger was bringing reinforcements???

A quick hypothetical; way back in episode 4, Sansa rejects Littlefinger's help (fair enough) because she's already had the conversation with Jon and co about where they can get some men, and Littlefinger goes away. Jon and Sansa go on and get their men: not as many as they wanted but enough to take on the Boltons and feel they're in with a serious shot. However the tide turns, and then at the last minute, to the surprise of EVERYONE, Littlefinger rides in to save the day (we could later have it revealed that he had a spy in their camp, and was keeping tabs on how things were going). Now, he finds himself in a much stronger bargaining position, because everyone thought they were finished and genuinely wouldn't be alive if it weren't for him.

It's stuff like this where it just seems baffling to me that the writers can't be just a little more clever: not a lot, just a little. The predictability of the show currently is a grim omen for the future, particularly given that the major selling point for watching the show before the books came out was that we're in the dark about where things are going. I gave David and Dan the benefit of the doubt this season, but my patience is running low.

1 minute ago, Timett sonof Timett is God said:

could she have not actually have known they were coming, and wanted to wait for confirmation before potentially letting Jon know?

She didn't even mention the Vale as a possibility. The entire season. Maybe she wants to wait for confirmation one way or the other, but still, if she'd mentioned the Vale as a possibility, Jon would have been willing to wait to find out if they were coming or not.

The only possibilities I see are she was deliberately setting Jon up or, she doesn't want Jon to know she asked Littlefinger for help because she's planning on screwing Littlefinger over.

10.  They followed up in my opinion the worst episode of the series with one of the best.  This totally made up for last week.  I loved everything about it.  Not a dull second.  Both battles looked and felt blockbuster film quality.  Sansa killing Ramsay via dog and then smiling about it was the most satisfying thing to happen in the whole series.  

14 minutes ago, xjlxking said:

Brah, it was too predictable. So not GRRM's work. 

Rickon ran in a straight line
Sansa doesn't share
Jon is too lucky

1/10 because of that. 

If Bran didn't run in a straight line Ramsay had about 500 archers who would have rained arrows on him. We don't know enough about the Vale situation to make an assessment on whether Sansa did the right thing. Also if the Vale showed up early, it would likely have turned into a straight up siege (no way Ramsay goes out on the battlefield with that advantage). And Jon's always been lucky. He's been lucky in the books. Hell a lot of things in the books were just happy coincidences. Arya ditches Roose right before the Red Wedding, Catelyn is at the same tavern as Tyrion, Bran happens to climb the one tower the day Jamie and Cersie get it on. Part of storytelling.

At any rate, this is like Hardhome, where it's going down as one of the best episodes in the show and stands up to anything from the earlier seasons.

Solid 10/10 from me. For a moment, I wondered if Jon Snow had been resurrected just to die, smothered under a pile of his own men. That scene was truly frightening. And I loved Meereen, and the dragon scenes for which I've been waiting forever.

I'll nitpick a few things: Neither Jon nor Sansa even consider using Melisandre to bring Rickon back. Even though Rickon is not the center of GoT, in real life, you would do anything to save your sibling's life. Here, it's not even discussed, despite the fact that Melisandre's resurrection of Jon is still on everyone's minds, especially Jon. If you had a witch in your party who could bring people back from the dead, and who already successfully brought back your brother, wouldn't resurrecting your other dead brother be your first thought?

Sansa should have told Jon about Littlefinger possibly arriving. Very weird that she kept that from him.

Despite these small nitpicks, I absolutely adored this episode. Ramsey getting what was coming was predictable, and yet so very satisfying. Love Sansa's smile at the end. RIP Rickon and Wun Wun.

This show continues to descend deeper into the dumpster.

The battle was laaaame, and everyone knew Littlefinger was going to save the day.

Sansa not telling anyone...riiiiiight. and her smile at the end, how cheesy.

Dialogue continues to be awful.

This show used to be smart and now it's just going through the motions.

This seemed as more of a redemption show to Dany than an episode solely about Jon. Dany is learning how to rule AND win battles. Jon got trampled on and saved because of his "old ways". Sansa wins. I predict her and LF plan to put Jon as King only to plot his downfall or play puppet master.

Dragons > Wolves, 'nuff said.

11 minutes ago, Jiriki said:

Solid 10/10 from me. For a moment, I wondered if Jon Snow had been resurrected just to die, smothered under a pile of his own men. That scene was truly frightening. And I loved Meereen, and the dragon scenes for which I've been waiting forever.

I'll nitpick a few things: Neither Jon nor Sansa even consider using Melisandre to bring Rickon back. Even though Rickon is not the center of GoT, in real life, you would do anything to save your sibling's life. Here, it's not even discussed, despite the fact that Melisandre's resurrection of Jon is still on everyone's minds, especially Jon. If you had a witch in your party who could bring people back from the dead, and who already successfully brought back your brother, wouldn't resurrecting your other dead brother be your first thought?

Sansa should have told Jon about Littlefinger possibly arriving. Very weird that she kept that from him.

Despite these small nitpicks, I absolutely adored this episode. Ramsey getting what was coming was predictable, and yet so very satisfying. Love Sansa's smile at the end. RIP Rickon and Wun Wun.

The red god is not the old gods, of which the Northerners cling to. Jon didnt want to be brought back in case he dies...it's not natural. He wouldnt do the same for Rickon. Rickon is of the North, makes sense.

Just now, of man and wolf said:

The red god is not the old gods, of which the Northerners cling to. Jon didnt want to be brought back in case he dies...it's not natural. He wouldnt do the same for Rickon. Rickon is of the North, makes sense.

Then why was Jon brought back? Of all men, Davos is most mistrustful of the red god, and Jon's loyal men at Castle Black were northerners, too. "Well, they're northerners" doesn't cut it for me when they were northerners last time, too.

14 minutes ago, Jiriki said:

Then why was Jon brought back? Of all men, Davos is most mistrustful of the red god, and Jon's loyal men at Castle Black were northerners, too. "Well, they're northerners" doesn't cut it for me when they were northerners last time, too.

Yes but what I'm saying is that Jon didnt want to be brought back if he died again. He had no control of what Davos and Mel plotted while he was originally dead.