[Poll] How would you rate episode 609?

How would you rate episode 609?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it a 8 due to the tecnical aspect. The Battle was well done. I also liked Meereen, it wasn't that perfect, but the plot finally advanced

But as I said before, I hate a lot the setup of the battle: No North Remembers, No crucial part from the Manderlys, Jon being made into the worst commander ever, Ramsay being Annibal BArca equivalent of Westeros....and most of all, Sansa not telling Jon about the Vale army. Jon would look actually a good strategist if his plan would be stall the BOlton army until the Knights Of Vale came

14 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I am & will read it as soon as I get the chance. 

But why watch it if it's so horrible? That's my question. 

Because you don't know whether an episode will be good or bad until after you've gone and watched it.

Some of them are great, others are good. And this season has been up and down a fair amount.

28 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I am & will read it as soon as I get the chance. 

But why watch it if it's so horrible? That's my question. 

Save yourself the trouble, you can never see their point of view, I gave up trying. Some people will rant and rave no matter what, and to them it is valid. 

I mean, can anyone who watched that episode truly give it a 1, 2, 3? Yet there are still the same 20 some odd 1 votes every week. If you let it go and ignore those it makes your experience here much better.

2 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Save yourself the trouble, you can never see their point of view, I gave up trying. Some people will rant and rave no matter what, and to them it is valid. 

I mean, can anyone who watched that episode truly give it a 1, 2, 3? Yet there are still the same 20 some odd 1 votes every week. If you let it go and ignore those it makes your experience here much better.

Yes, because it defies logic. Sansa refused to talk about the Vale troops and got Rickon, almost Jon, and a whole bunch of others killed, needlessly. Yet, she is treated as a hero. Anytime things defy logic, it doesn't deserve better.

People need to look past the actual fight and death and when you do, the logic breaks down quickly.

I gave it an unreserved 10. Voted 8 for last week's. I was hoping last week's fairish, but somewhat stopgappish episode, was just that - a stopgap. Thankfully, I was proved right. This was one of the best episodes so far of the entire series. It was absolutely majestic. It had everything in it. I'm not even going to quibble about the whiff of pandering in the show's reinvisioning of Yara. I actually quite like the show version anyway. Everything else was more or less very probably the way it goes down in the next book. Wonderful, wonderful. I actually checked the time a few times during the battle to make sure there was a very real probability of seeing Ramsay cop it at the end.

Edited by The Killer Snark

10 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I find this line of advise very useful for posters such as yourself as well.

13 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Giving it a 1 is no worse than all the 10 for an episode which seems as if it was written by a bunch of drunk 12 year olds and in which half the actors were virtually sleepwalking through their lines.

Edited by David Selig

3 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

Yes, because it defies logic. Sansa refused to talk about the Vale troops and got Rickon, almost Jon, and a whole bunch of others killed, needlessly. Yet, she is treated as a hero. Anytime things defy logic, it doesn't deserve better.

People need to look past the actual fight and death and when you do, the logic breaks down quickly.

So one decision means an entire episode sucks? When was she treated like a hero? I saw her ride into Winterfell courtyard. I saw her ask where Ramsey was, and I saw her watch him die. If you mean by fans of her, well of course that's how they see her. Just like her detractors will see it the other way.

As I stated in the post, you will see it your way and I will see it my way, neither of us is wrong, we just don't agree and that is ok. Nothing that is said will change the others view on this subject.

4 minutes ago, dbunting said:

So one decision means an entire episode sucks? When was she treated like a hero? I saw her ride into Winterfell courtyard. I saw her ask where Ramsey was, and I saw her watch him die. If you mean by fans of her, well of course that's how they see her. Just like her detractors will see it the other way.

As I stated in the post, you will see it your way and I will see it my way, neither of us is wrong, we just don't agree and that is ok. Nothing that is said will change the others view on this subject.

I find a weird level of dissonance in what the show puts on the screen, the actions characters take and the things that are said and what they mean...Northern lords telling the Starks to fuck off, Sansa basically betraying her brothers and supporters...and what the show seems to think it's doing....not gutting the entire history of Stark rule, just keeping it real, showing Sansa as a badass hero who now knows how to play the game.

So, next week, despite that the show has shown Jon is a suicidal and terrible commander, Sansa got a lot of Northerners killed by lying, and is an untrustworthy ally, that it will still somehow work out to be a rah rah Stark moment for everyone.  I can't really process that much white noise to make it work out for me.

Edited by Cas Stark

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and we should respect it.  However I think that a good sense is to look at the average of the votes. I think it was not by chance that "No One" received the worst scores of the season (I made the averages for all episodes) with an average of 5.4 (total votes 443 when I calculated). "Battle of the Bastards will be higher than 8, and will be easily the one that received the best scores. Again, not chance.

By the way those were the averages from episode 1 to 8:

5.6 7.4 6.2 7.3 7.8 6.6 6.7 5.4

4/10 for the battle sequencing alone. The writing is still shit.

Rickon is used simply as a plot device to enrage Jon and force him to rush headlong into battle and forget his (brilliant) strategy.

Ramsay is suddenly a tactical genius? Gimme a break.

Sansa never mentions the Vale army to Jon? Good thing he has AA plot armor.

What was the point of the Jon/Mel scene? "Don't bring me back". "I do what the lord says". "Can you help me?". "The lord hasn't told me shit".

Sansa kills Ramsay. Who let the dogs out?

Ramsay takes a meaningless shot at Wun Wun while Jon is exposed. Ramsay is suddenly an idiot? This was effectively his bad guy speech allowing the good guy to win.

Theon and Asha's teleporter in the middle of a battle. "We all had crap dads" bonding moment. "No more reaving!". "But that's what we do?". "I said no reaving!". "Okay".

The battle of Mereen was literally ONE boat getting destroyed by Dany. Because, suddenly, she has complete control over her dragons.

No Ghost in the battle? Davos does... nothing?

Blackwater, Watchers on the Wall, and Hardhome were far better battle scenes because of the weight of the situation. Bastardbowl was utterly predictable and pulled the same "surprise" again having the Vale show up just in time. It was technically an impressive battle in terms of how it was filmed and showing the horrors of medieval warefare, but that's about it.

1 minute ago, Darkstream said:

I find this line of advise very useful for posters such as yourself as well.

Yes it is, I had given the previous two episodes 6's if I am not mistaken. I have never given a 10 before. Highest previously was a 9 for Hardhome and a 9 for Watchers on the Wall. I am very much a Jon Snow fan so my rankings are influenced by that. He was my favorite from Episode 1 and even more so in the books.

2 minutes ago, David Selig said:

Giving it a 1 is no worse than all the 10 for an episode which seems as if it was written by a bunch of drunk 12 year olds and which half the actors were virtually sleepwalking through their lines.

Now, the people who are giving every episode a 10, then yes it's exactly the same. There were a few clunkers this season for sure and no way they should be 10's.

I guess my mind if just wired differently. I don't like broccoli. I don't like it raw, steamed, with macaroni and cheese, battered and fried or in a salad. So when I eat, I don't eat it. I don't go to every new restaurant to try their broccoli, I know I will not like it. That's how I equate watching a series that I would give consistent 1's to on a rating system. If I know I won't like it, I won't try it.

1 minute ago, dbunting said:

Now, the people who are giving every episode a 10, then yes it's exactly the same. There were a few clunkers this season for sure and no way they should be 10's.

This one didn't deserve 10 either. The WF battle was really well shot and edited, but everything else was terrible.

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Yes it is, I had given the previous two episodes 6's if I am not mistaken. I have never given a 10 before. Highest previously was a 9 for Hardhome and a 9 for Watchers on the Wall. I am very much a Jon Snow fan so my rankings are influenced by that. He was my favorite from Episode 1 and even more so in the books.

I guess my mind if just wired differently. I don't like broccoli. I don't like it raw, steamed, with macaroni and cheese, battered and fried or in a salad. So when I eat, I don't eat it. I don't go to every new restaurant to try their broccoli, I know I will not like it. That's how I equate watching a series that I would give consistent 1's to on a rating system. If I know I won't like it, I won't try it.

I think a better analogy is the place that once was your favorite restaurant.  It's not as good at is used to be, but every once in a while you still get a great side or dessert, so you keep coming back trying to recapture the old magic and are almost always disappointed.  Or, that of a dysfunctional relationship...once you're in...it can be hard to detox out of it.

8 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Well the problem with this argument is that Got is an adaption of my favorite story of all time. If I didn't have a strong emotional connection to the source material, I wouldn't still watch it. In your analogy, broccoli would be my favorite food, it's just that d$d are terrible chefs, and keep ruining something that I do love.

Edited by Darkstream

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I find a weird level of dissonance in what the show puts on the screen, the actions characters take and the things that are said and what they mean...Northern lords telling the Starks to fuck off, Sansa basically betraying her brothers and supporters...and what the show seems to think it's doing....not gutting the entire history of Stark rule, just keeping it real, showing Sansa as a badass hero who now knows how to play the game.

So, next week, despite that the show has shown Jon is a suicidal and terrible commander, Sansa got a lot of Northerners killed by lying, and is an untrustworthy ally, that it will still somehow work out to be a rah rah Stark moment for everyone.  I can't really process that much white noise to make it work out for me.

But that's what I think is better about the show. When they were asking the northern houses for help, the houses weren't all rah rah Starks. They told them like it was, we followed you and we died. Robb betrayed us, Boltons helped us get our house back etc..

I will have to reserve judgement on how the Sansa Jon thing plays out, not happy with how the show is doing this so far.