[Poll] How would you rate episode 609?

How would you rate episode 609?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I give it a 6 out of 10. Can't understand the 10's and can't understand the 1's. The writing and the motivations were still very bad, the technical stuff (imagery, costumes, CGI, editing, choreography) was outstanding, so I'll land just a little above the middle of the scale.

After I watched it yesterday, it would've been an 8 but the more I think about it, the more I get confused and angry at some of the decisions made. The battle itself was fine, but how the characters got there and acted was beyond comprehension.

Sansa not telling Jon about the Vale army is, as many pointed out before, a total dick move and cannot be explained properly within the shows own rules. And looking back and seeing how D&D handled Aryas stabbing, I am pretty sure, that there will be no sufficient explanation for this. Maybe they'll drop one sentence about this, but this won't be enough to excuse the possibly unnecessary death of her brother (?!) .

Jon acted like a fool, in every sense of the word, and would've been (rightfully) slaughtered by military genius Ramsay who had the upper hand the whole time (ugh). Just imagine if Jon just turned around after Rickon's death (furious, of course) and rejoined his forces for an coordinated attack. He would have listened to the advice Sansa gave him and he wouldn't have looked like a total dumbass. I really liked the one-take of him in battle and the battle itself but I was so frustrated with the lack of logic, that it really sucked the tension out for me. Why did Ramsay choose to hit dying Wun-Wun in the eye instead of killing Jon, who was standing right next to him? This stuff isn't that hard, just write the scene a bit different and noone will complain about those minor plot holes, but those are all over the place and script.

Mereen was surprisingly well done this time, hasn't been as good in seasons. A bit whacky that the slavers can still be surprised by the dragons, but what gives? CGI looked really great (especially for TV) and the whole thing was very well done in a short period of time. Even Dinklage got something to work with, good for him. And even with a Theon apperance we didn't get a "dick got cut off"-Joke. Good for you D&D! I really don't mind the Dany/Yara girl power - at least she now has enough ships for finally leaving f'cking Essos.

In total, again, a very uneven season - D&D struggle to write without GRRM leading the way and multiple badly written set-up episodes really hurt my enjoyment of the few well done episodes.

Edited by Jay Merlan
some errors

4 hours ago, TheRiderThatMounts said:

God damn it, I can't believe you guys. What the show did was completely against everything the story stands for. The show is giving the audience what it wants. But that's not what Martin's doing in the books. That's why Ned's dead. That's why Robb's dead. That's why many other characters are dead.

TV works differently from books which is why Ned is still alive in the show, and Robb, and Stannis and Selmy.
This why in the books there is no way ever that Ramsey will die, he'll be Lord of Winterfell at the end of the books.

The show is wrapping up its stories now. It has to start killing off baddies. It's taken six seasons for the Starks to finally start having a good day. The books will be doing the same thing now that we are approaching end game.

2 minutes ago, RedShirt47 said:

TV works differently from books which is why Ned is still alive in the show, and Robb, and Stannis and Selmy.
This why in the books there is no way ever that Ramsey will die, he'll be Lord of Winterfell at the end of the books.

The show is wrapping up its stories now. It has to start killing off baddies. It's taken six seasons for the Starks to finally start having a good day. The books will be doing the same thing now that we are approaching end game.

My friend who I watched the show with, who is Unsullied said after that episode:

"FINALLY! Something went right for those characters!!"

Because the showrunners have rightfully understood that there is limit to the doom and gloom, that the show has to move forward and get towards the endgame before people get bored.

34 minutes ago, RedShirt47 said:

I fear to ask what you would consider a bad day. Nothing like having one brother cruelly murdered, and another sibling stab her family in the back and being the cause of hundreds of deaths, including the death of said brother to constitute a good day. But I guess your right, Sansa sure was smiling a lot while all this had just happened.

:cheers: to more good days just like this for the Starks. 

The books will be doing the same thing now that we are approaching end game.

:lmao::rofl: 

Edited by Darkstream

Gave it a 9, by far the best episode of the series, and so close to a 10. But for me a 10 would be an episode where I don't think anything happened that is total bullshit. Like Rickon running in a straight line. Sansa hiding 10,000 strong army from Jon to the last 2 minutes of battle and then allow Baelish to steal all the glory.

But yeah, the rest was excellent. Even Danaerys was really exciting on her dragons. Except for her "Who run the world - girls" (Beyonce, 2011), moment. But that is forgiven.

6 hours ago, Tastes like Frey said:

Although yes, I have absolutely no idea why Dany's Mereen arc was one they chose to faithfully adapt. The Gods know they could have made some welcome changes there...

Made me spit my coffee out of laugh.

We must have very different definitions of "faithfull". Read the mereeneese knot for example, essays GRRM praised as understanding what he did in Mereen, and realise they don't apply at all to the show. They completely ignored the spirit of his writing to only keep a few largely dumbed down plot points (that said I agree that considering what they did of Mereen they'd better have made Dany leave for Westeros 2 seasons ago, creating some incident on her way to delay her arrival if needed). 

9 hours ago, Tastes like Frey said:

Εxactly because while certain scenes were superb, I did not particularly enjoy some moments.

The battle scene was amazing and even though I was never a big fan of Kit Harington and Sophie Turner, their performances in the last episode were quite good! 

I also loved the scenes with Dany flying on her dragon, showing to the Good Masters, who is the boss.

The previous episodes were vastly dissappointg but this one had certainly a few good moments/

Unfortunately there were still certain issues.

The Yara-Dany scene was too fast, too abrupt and too simplistic. In fact in e9 the writers tried to have characters finally interact with each other (Jon-Ramsay, Dany-Yara) or reunite (Tyrion-Theon, Sansa-Ramsay) and tried to end as many plotlines as possible in a rather unsatisfying manner.. 

The demise of the Boltons diminishes the series I feel, and the overarching rise of "girl power" is a tad demeaning to women in its exclusive positive discrimination. That said the battle scenes did a good job in deglorifying warfare although the sudden appearance of mounds of corpses did make it a little cartoon like at the end.

Can't help but feel that the writers are out of ideas by this stage and are running headlong to the denoument. There will be no more plot twists or turns, instead it's just down to the bookies to put a bet on who will be left standing by the end of the final epidsode of the final series.

7/10 (a bonus point awarded for Ramsay fucking Sue being fed to his dogs. That brought a smile to my face.)

Wish I could have rated higher - the battles were well filmed, acting is good and production values are excellent - but weak writing and cringeworthy dialogue continue to drag the show down. High production values aren't enough to make me handwave the fact that the plot is weak with little to no attention paid to logic and build-up and is merely in service to momentary shock and spectacle. The North forgets but I sure as hell don't. D&D deserve credit for one thing though: they perfectly understand the bulk of their audience.

4 hours ago, Lord Freypie said:

Made me spit my coffee out of laugh.

We must have very different definitions of "faithfull". Read the mereeneese knot for example, essays GRRM praised as understanding what he did in Mereen, and realise they don't apply at all to the show. They completely ignored the spirit of his writing to only keep a few largely dumbed down plot points (that said I agree that considering what they did of Mereen they'd better have made Dany leave for Westeros 2 seasons ago, creating some incident on her way to delay her arrival if needed). 

I think if you look at Dany's Mereen arc in he show versus the book, it's largely the same, with just a little of the fat trimmed. My point was that if you look at say Robb in aCoK & aSoS versus season 2 Robb, asking myself why they changed what they did is really mind-boggling stuff, because Robb and Catelyn's story was pretty much perfect in the books. 

My point being why change things there and keep so many things similar with Dany in Mereen in the show when that in the books that's as far as George has gotten from perfect. 

In regards to people writing essays that "understand what he did in Mereen" I could honestly do that myself in 6 words.

He wrote himself into a corner.

Ta-da

Re watched it and it's a 10+. Second time around you can pay attention to details more and I'm astonished at how flawless everything was. Aside from the obvious directing, visuals, choreography which are all masterful, the dialogue and writing is world class as well. Every aspect of what goes into a TV show was absolutely top notch. I'd recommend to watch it again if you have time to be able to appreciate the masterful subtlies in the acting. 

Other sites with many more active participants that have rating polls agree. One has 95,000 votes and the AVERAGE SCORE IS A 10/10. Case closed imo. One of the best written, acted, and directed hours in TV history. Numbers don't lie. Most viewed, highest rated, surely multiple Emmy winning, and great reviews from critics. Checks all the boxes. I'm not sure how you can argue otherwise. 

One thing I forgot to mention: if Miguel Sapochnik doesn't win the Emmy this year, we riot.

He's been flawless so far. Best directing I've ever seen on a TV Show. Hardhome is still my TOP 1 episode, but this one goes to the TOP 5 easily.