[Poll] How would you rate episode 609?

How would you rate episode 609?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

10 minutes ago, Facebookless Man said:

What makes this episode better? You think senseless battle scenes are automatically worthy of high praise, you're pretty much making the critic's point for them.

Yes. This. The battle scene was pretty. So was the one from that kevin kostner movie. oooh all the arrows were on fire. At this point why bother having dialogue. Lets just play some totally killer 80's rock over the fight scene.

Any attempt to validate this episode by saying that the fight scene is really great is, I think, not different at all to saying "this ugly, cruel, stupid, mean, awful guy seems really  handsome now that I know he is rich"

Just spending a bunch of money doesn't make it good. It just makes it expensive and, at times, visually compelling.

2 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Unpack that.  I mean, I gave this episode a 5 and that was mostly due to the production value and directing. So, if you're excluding those, what exactly do you think is good about this episode?

My opinions and rating are on page 4 or 5 I believe.  Feel free to nit pick it. 

1 minute ago, JEORDHl said:

I've seen one of the D's brag about how S6 is the best scripted season yet, so YYMV...

Like I said in another post. At this point they could spend more money on the visuals, get all generic actors, cut all dialogue and just blast rockin' 80's music. Like an hour of hair band rock with battle scenes, tits and dragons.

Who is writing this show, Dunning and Kreuger?

1 minute ago, HellasLEAF said:

My opinions and rating are on page 4 or 5 I believe.  Feel free to nit pick it. 

I asked because I'm actually interested. I'll go take a look.

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

Yep, I think I was referring to the wrong person, was getting a lot of quotes at the same time, I honestly apologize.

I am referring to people who week in and week out criticize and question me and others for liking the show and try to show us how bad it is and why we are sheep or something similar for liking it. My bad habit is I get sucked in to debates on Monday and Tuesday before I remember it doesn't really matter.

The worst thing for me is that I only have one more episode this year to enjoy. 

That's cool, the same always happens to me, just the other way around. It's easy to start generalizing your argument when dealing with several responses at once. :cheers: 

9. The biggest problem was the continuity in both the Vale army and the Greyjoy. But I think I speak in the name of everyone when I say, wow that was delicious. I think each and everyone of us was accompaning Jon in his movements towards Ramsay face. I was afraid that he was going to be keep captived or some sh+t like that but that ending was completely satisfactory.Also Dany showing her ruthless side is always heart warming. 

1 minute ago, JEORDHl said:

I asked because I'm actually interested. I'll go take a look.

For the record:

9/10 is my score.  

There is just one too many niggles here to give it the full 10.  A couple questionable things strategicaly with numbers on the battle field.  Plus Vale coming in last min (bit of an eye roller).  

But delivered on so many levels and was so satisfying for me.  

So many very well done and memorable moments here.  Lives up to the standard of other episode 9's.  

Gave last week a 2.  This was redemption night, not gonna get too caught up in criticism tonight.  If I were maybe more like an 8/10, but THAT was an EPIC hour of entertainment.  

He said nothing of substance.

Obviously.

13 hours ago, HellasLEAF said:

The good:

- Sansa.  She was just right in every scene.  Loved the 'you will die tomorrow' and ride away.  

- Wun Wun.  One last great moment on the battle field. 

- Jon Beats Ramsey to a pump.  That was visceral.  Almost felt like the watcher (the audience) was doing it.  Then just gets up like I'm done with doing this to you and walks away.  Perfect.  Think it topped Joffrey poison choke-out.  

- Jon Snow's belief that he would not be killed on the battle field.  Many great sequences there.  That conversation with Melissandre was LONG overdue.....  

- The battle.  Depicted the chaotic nature of it well.  

- The Dragons.  They were portrayed very well.  Obviously more would have been nice.  

- Tyrion's explanation.  It made sense.  Feels redeemed.  

- Ramsey's death.  Fitting.

- Theon/Yara - Dany/Tyrion kinship over bad fathers on father's day no less.    

- Davos.  All scenes. 

The bad:

- The Vale swooping in.  And when they swooped in.  

- Ramsey perfect shot.  Mmmm. 

- Jon Snow running out stupidly.  

- Some of the numbers and tactics didn't add up out there.  But it's TV not a huge film years in development. 

- More Wun Wun and more logical.  Should have had a weapon and maybe armour of some kind but surely a weapon.  Should have been more effective.

Ok. So, you gave it a 9. 

I could nit-pick the points but I don't think that would get us anywhere. I will say though, that at least insofar as it appears, you're valuing mainly in regard to the feels on your positives, yet conversely, you look at the negatives with a more critical eye. 

Does that seem an accurate assessment based on what you've written?

Just now, JEORDHl said:

Ok. So, you gave it a 9. 

I could nit-pick the points but I don't think that would get us anywhere. I will say though, that at least insofar as it appears, you're valuing mainly in regard to the feels on your positives, yet conversely, you look at the negatives with a more critical eye. 

Does that seem an accurate assessment based on what you've written?

For this episode, yes.  

For this episode, the feeling I got watching it and the feeling I got after watching it was positive.  There was enough good, that it out weighed the niggles this time around.  To nit pick it here or there.  

Here's the thing.  Invoking emotion is a major aspect of watching television.  Or reading a book.  Or listening to a book on tape.  For this episode, it invoked a feeling of edge of seat nervousness and feeling of satisfaction and shock.  I'll be honest about that. 

That's not the same mind you as seeing a bunch of CGI or a battle and instantly voting a 10.  If that were true I would be a fan of the Transformers movies and I can assure you I am not lol.  This my opinion feel free to disagree gents. 

2 hours ago, taipan said:

An easy ten from me. I can understand some of the complaints but how some idiots can rate it 1, beggars belief.

If you rate the episode a ten and are fine with someone rating it a one, all the power to you, that is your right.

If you rate the episode a ten and call anyone who gives it a one an idiot, that just shows that you are an insecure and rude hypocrite.

"For this episode, yes.  

For this episode, the feeling I got watching it and the feeling I got after watching it was positive.  There was enough good, that it out weighed the niggles this time around.  To nit pick it here or there.  

Here's the thing.  Invoking emotion is a major aspect of watching television.  Or reading a book.  Or listening to a book on tape.  For this episode, it invoked a feeling of edge of seat nervousness and feeling of satisfaction and shock.  I'll be honest about that. 

That's not the same mind you as seeing a bunch of CGI or a battle and instantly voting a 10.  If that were true I would be a fan of the Transformers movies and I can assure you I am not lol.  This my opinion feel free to disagree gents."

I don't disagree. Only joyless academics would argue otherwise in regard to what entertains them, and I'd suspect there's actually few of those.

For myself, as a viewer, I'm as critical of the positives as I am of the negatives, the difference being that the positives passed muster. If I were to nit-pick a bit, just by way of example, I'd disagree that Sansa was 'right' in every scene. She clearly wasn't, even given her past experience.

Trust issues, ok sure, why not. Then why go to the Wall in the first place if not to feel the solidarity of family? Her and Jon's little sit down, when they shared the horn of ale-- it seemed apparent that they'd discussed a great many things, yet she didn't discuss her odd relationship with Littlefinger at all? Or if she did, then why hide the details of his offer when she met with him in Mole Town? She encourages Jon to battle to save Rickon, and for Winterfell, but keeps this vital information from him and hectors about his lack of able bodies as well? Accepting all of that, conflict with Jon, the back and forth on Rickon, all so she could get personal revenge on Ramsay?

Might be I could buy it, but, only if she also enacts revenge on Littlefinger too. Like, next episode.

Edited by JEORDHl

2 hours ago, taipan said:

Because it was compelling TV viewing? Hey I have voted episodes this season low as well, but I don't come on to troll week after week. If you don't enjoy the show, stop watching. Simple.

Giving an opinion that differs from yours is not trolling, You should really look up the definition of the word before you start throwing baseless accusations around at people. If you don't like reading opinions that don't conform to what you think, you should stop coming to a forum designed for the very purpose of sharing and discussing your opinions. Simple.

Edited by Darkstream

1 hour ago, HellasLEAF said:

I do know better than anyone voting Battle of the Bastards a 1/10 yes.  I no I won't read it.  

And there you have it, quite a telling statement, confirming the accusations and arguments against your stance.

The episode was really bad, kinda like this whole season. Season 6 is about a 2 in my book. It would have been a 1 if it wasn't for that Tower of Joy scene. And if they don't finish it in episode 10, then I will definitely give the season a 1. 

I feel like the show has strayed too far from the books. I mean, I get that it's fantasy and that a show needs to have action, but what I don't get is why they have to mess with the characters. Turning lord Bolton into hugger(like he'd ever hug anyone), showing Ramsay and Jon as the dumbest commanders ever, the Umbers and most of the Northern lords are traitors who hate the Starks, making Littlefinger into the Flash. And, to top it all, this season they killed off how many important houses? Martell, Stark, Bolton, Baratheon - these houses are all gone. Yeah, the Starks too. 

And I see a lot of you giving it a 10. Why? Just because they showed some scenes where some guys were pushing some other guys? Come on! Those battle scenes weren't even that good. It was like watching Spartacus, with a little bit less blood. 

I am super disappointed. Benioff and Weiss have ruined the show. 

40 minutes ago, HellasLEAF said:

Here's the thing.  Invoking emotion is a major aspect of watching television. 

So if I'm watching a scene, although very well shot with amazing visuals, but invokes emotions of confusion, boredom and disgust in me, why should I be obligated to give points for that scene in my rating?

14 hours ago, HellasLEAF said:

The good:

- Sansa.  She was just right in every scene.  Loved the 'you will die tomorrow' and ride away.  

- Wun Wun.  One last great moment on the battle field. 

- Jon Beats Ramsey to a pump.  That was visceral.  Almost felt like the watcher (the audience) was doing it.  Then just gets up like I'm done with doing this to you and walks away.  Perfect.  Think it topped Joffrey poison choke-out.  

- Jon Snow's belief that he would not be killed on the battle field.  Many great sequences there.  That conversation with Melissandre was LONG overdue.....  

- The battle.  Depicted the chaotic nature of it well.  

- The Dragons.  They were portrayed very well.  Obviously more would have been nice.  

- Tyrion's explanation.  It made sense.  Feels redeemed.  

- Ramsey's death.  Fitting.

- Theon/Yara - Dany/Tyrion kinship over bad fathers on father's day no less.    

- Davos.  All scenes. 

The bad:

- The Vale swooping in.  And when they swooped in.  

- Ramsey perfect shot.  Mmmm. 

- Jon Snow running out stupidly.  

- Some of the numbers and tactics didn't add up out there.  But it's TV not a huge film years in development. 

- More Wun Wun and more logical.  Should have had a weapon and maybe armour of some kind but surely a weapon.  Should have been more effective.

How was Sansa right in every scene? I mean, the last one was just stupid. She had just lost her little brother and she was smiling because she got to kill an idiot. Why would you smile? There's no smiling when something like that happens to you. Crying maybe, because of all the relief that you feel, knowing that you're safe and feeling sorry for your dead brother. But not smiling. WTF? Is Sansa psycho or something?

7 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

So if I'm watching a scene, although very well shot with amazing visuals, but invokes emotions of confusion, boredom and disgust in me, why should I be obligated to give points for that scene in my rating?

You are not obligated to give points for that scene Darkstream.  Where do I suggest this??  I said clearly that it invoked a positive emotion in this case for me.  And yes that swayed my vote above nit picking this time around. 

And when I say swayed.  I mean swayed from an 8 to a 9 on this episode. 

Edited by HellasLEAF