[Poll] How would you rate episode 609?

How would you rate episode 609?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

27 minutes ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

This will be the most overated episode ever in history.

Sansa is a little sh*t. There is no good reason for not telling Jon about the Vale army. None.

Dany is an entitled b*tch. Leaves Meereen for no reason. Meereen was an awfull state it had so many problems that she couldn't solve. she only made things worse but when she returns she expects the man (Tyrion) to have solved all of her problems. - Just like your average feminist.

Dany and Yara are BFF's in 3 seconds after meeting. We are talking about the most temperamental and mistrusting women in the show people...

The Meereen fight was over too quickly. Also the ships didn't stop shooting fire balls WHILE they were negotiating terms? Wtf?

No surprise deaths in this battle is underwhelming. We all expected Rickon. Wun Wun and Ramsay to die. No one cared about Rickon really. Wun Wun was a given. Ramsay dying would be better if Sansa didnt smile when he did.

Wun Wun goes into battle bare-handed. Really? Couldn't afford a CGI club for the fookin giant?

The battle tactics were absolute sh*t. Specially Ramsay...

I get this feeling with Sansa and Ramsay. They are acting very much like Arya gallivanting arround in Braavos doing stupid things and now people are going to try and justify what is simply show inconsistency and bad writing.

Also If in the next episode Jon isn't furious with Sansa because of her lying I'll send a raven with a very angry letter to HBO so they hire reputable writers for the show.

I agree wholeheartedly.

The logic of the plot and the logic that the characters follow is baffling. It all makes for muddled, inconsistent storytelling. 

This episode is definitely going to be overrated. The only thing you can really applaud if for is that it follows D&D's formula firmly. 

Edited by lalunadelmar

1 hour ago, of man and wolf said:

Yes but what I'm saying is that Jon didnt want to be brought back if he died again. He had no control of what Davos and Mel plotted while he was originally dead.

It rankles that it's not even discussed, though. Just "toss him in the crypt", no tears, nothing.

I'm nitpicking. This was otherwise a wonderful episode.

i gave it a 9. This has been a pretty awkward season of disjointed narratives and buildup scenes for buildup scscenes to create suspense for scenes of buildup scenes... Ever since Martin stopped being a real player in the show things have fallen a little flat. Anyhow, best episode of the season as far as this season goes. Ill have to watch the season again in its totality after next weekend to get a real feel for it. Its better than last years dorn debacle.

Edited by awearyman

First 10

Loves Dany destroying the masters who were so cocky only moments before, as well as her army growing by the day.

Obviously the battle of the bastards was the best part, with so many ups and downs.  Sad Rickon didn't zig zag in his running, or hide behind one of the burning pyres, but we knew he wasn't the brightest Stark, so... The giant's heart in that fight was amazing, and Jon taking down Ramsay with only a shield was even better.  The Vale knights arriving right then was predictable, but pretty great nonetheless to see them take down the Bolton forces so easily, and to see Sansa becoming even more powerful as a person.

To see Jon struggle, knowing that everything he was doing was falling into a trap of Ramsay's, yet feeling that he had to do it and giving in to his emotions was hard to watch, and yet, you couldn't take your eyes away.

Then for you to know you shouldn't want to see Ramsay tortured and suffering a horrid death, yet wanting it all the same was a brilliant touch by the writers, and I have a feeling GRRM made sure they got that part right.  Sansa crushing everything that Ramsay was, before finally the last bit where the one last thing loyal to him ate him alive was something else.

Just a great episode, so much sadness, angst and excitement all in one.

1 hour ago, Ice Spider said:

Enough already!!!

For those that actually followed the show, with some semblance of an open mind, the reasons were actually quite clear.

Sansa's dialogue with Jon, made it quite clear why she choose the path she did. She asked Jon, why she wasn't included in the meeting, she being the one that knew Ramsey the best. She warned Jon, that Ramsey doesn't fall into traps, he sets them. So Sansa one upped Ramsey and set her own.

Sure, Sansa could have shared with Jon the coming of the Vale forces, Jon could have waited a day or two, and then what? Ramsey, seeing Jon had a much more formidable force would have remained inside Winterfell, and we would have had a two year long siege battle. D&D actually gave a pretty good reason why Sansa didn't share.

I gave the episode a 9. Pitty the spoilers were out there, that is the one thing that hurt this episode. For once, for the first time this entire season, the writers gave Peter Dinklage some dialect he could actually do something with. I like the Mereen scene, but it was a bit too rushed. The all of a sudden appearance of theon and yara didn't make any sense, but the exchange was good.

We now have women in power almost everywhere on the map, with the exception of the Frey's, and the imminent over throw of Euron.

This is pretty much spot on.  It sucked that the Vale arriving was predictable, but other than that, the battle played out so well, and the reasons for Jon going against what he knew was his better judgement were very well done.

The battle in Meereen was definitely cut short.  I felt the same there, but I guess every second of that was costing them a ridiculous amount of money, so can't be too harsh on them for that.  And, Theon and Yara arrived in a very strange way.  They could have at least made it seem as if a few days had passed.  I mean, they just burned hundred of ships into nothing, some more ships arriving at that point would have seemed hostile.

Edited by Jdawg Laurence

The good:

- Sansa.  She was just right in every scene.  Loved the 'you will die tomorrow' and ride away.  

- Wun Wun.  One last great moment on the battle field. 

- Jon Beats Ramsey to a pump.  That was visceral.  Almost felt like the watcher (the audience) was doing it.  Then just gets up like I'm done with doing this to you and walks away.  Perfect.  Think it topped Joffrey poison choke-out.  

- Jon Snow's belief that he would not be killed on the battle field.  Many great sequences there.  That conversation with Melissandre was LONG overdue.....  

- The battle.  Depicted the chaotic nature of it well.  

- The Dragons.  They were portrayed very well.  Obviously more would have been nice.  

- Tyrion's explanation.  It made sense.  Feels redeemed.  

- Ramsey's death.  Fitting.

- Theon/Yara - Dany/Tyrion kinship over bad fathers on father's day no less.    

- Davos.  All scenes. 

The bad:

- The Vale swooping in.  And when they swooped in.  

- Ramsey perfect shot.  Mmmm. 

- Jon Snow running out stupidly.  

- Some of the numbers and tactics didn't add up out there.  But it's TV not a huge film years in development. 

- More Wun Wun and more logical.  Should have had a weapon and maybe armour of some kind but surely a weapon.  Should have been more effective.

Considering this episode had very little storytelling (though what little storytelling they did had was still garbage) and basically an action thriller episode, I will judge most of it based on that. 

And by god, the action sequences were stunning. Hats off to Miguel Sapochnik! This is the highest rating I gave a a GOT episode since Watchers on the Wall. An 8 out of 10. Took off two points only due to the incredibly stupid tactics used in what was otherwise a well filmed battle.

9 minutes ago, The Onion Kniggit said:

Considering this episode had very little storytelling (though what little storytelling they did had was still garbage) and basically an action thriller episode, I will judge most of it based on that. 

And by god, the action sequences were stunning. Hats off to Miguel Sapochnik! This is the highest rating I gave a a GOT episode since Watchers on the Wall. An 8 out of 10. Took off two points only due to the incredibly stupid tactics used in what was otherwise a well filmed battle.

The stupid tactics were part of the plot. He lost his head against his sisters advice. Sansa really won the day, Jon has a lot to learn still ( an upgrade at least from knowing nothing ).

IMO a 10.  

Just now, Diehard_si said:

The stupid tactics were part of the plot. He lost his head against his sisters advice. Sansa really won the day, Jon has a lot to learn still ( an upgrade at least from knowing nothing ).

IMO a 10.  

I'm not just talking about Jon here (though he definitely was the dumber commander) but also Ramsay "lets shoot all my heavy cavalry" Bolton too.

2 minutes ago, The Onion Kniggit said:

I'm not just talking about Jon here (though he definitely was the dumber commander) but also Ramsay "lets shoot all my heavy cavalry" Bolton too.

You never seen Braveheart?? In fact my only criticism was that the battle seemed to copy 3 main war movies. That one, 300 for the 'Spartan shield' and Lord of the Rings... The Vale arriving like the riders of Rohan.

Winterfell battle was so intense but best part was dany and those dragons. ....RIP rickon which was saddest part.

awesome.....insanely awesome CGI

i am still rewinding those dragon scene repeatedly and that backround track while dany riding drogon and rhegal and viserion coming out blasting that wall. ... had huge orgasms looking at those awesome CGI work.

10 out 10.

Giving it a 8.

It was good, lot of pretty scenes, action and some good dialoge. But can not give it a 9 or 10 when the battle tactics were so bad on both sides.

I did not like Jon being a retard. I never liked main characters acting stupid/rash, it makes me stop caring if they succeed or not. Would have been really great if he had stayed with the formation.

My problem was that Ramseys secure position and superior numbers should have made them obliterate Jon's army.

Instead he orders a charge, and have his men kill his own cavalry. It has been made clear over and over in the show, that cavalry rules. Are horses (and competent riders) that plentyful that you can afford doing that crap???

It made me remember "Braveheart", where he orders to shoot at the melee, but like he said: "We have reserves", and that was infantry vs. infantry, which is not costy to replace.

Then the pikemen being allowed to encircle them... reminded me of when bad guys are allowed their evil monolgue without anyone doing anything :)

And I would have surrendered, if I had been one of those pikemen when 5000 vale knights came charging in. But guess I am a coward...

It was a'ight. Vikings 'Attack on Paris' episode/battle is still the #1 TV battle I've seen in a long time, maybe ever. In terms of GoT, Blackwater comes close - but mainly due to the dialogue. Hardhome's up there too. This battle was... Lacking. Visually it was okay, but it didn't blow me away in the slightest. Sadly, the battle was the only decent thing about the episode.

- Dany/Yara stuff was horse shite. Whoever wrote that scene should be sent on a one-way trip to a Soviet Gulag. The cringe and faceplams didn't stop.

- Dany Derpface. With each episode she becomes more and more like a plate of vanilla pudding; basic and lame. I guess we're lucky... At least she's not screaming "fire and blood" anymore.

- Throughout the entire thing I was praying to Zeus for Sansa to catch an arrow in the neck. Now I remember why I hated her in the earlier seasons. Complains about their strategy but has no alternatives, aside from going "U dun nuu ramzeeee!" She just keeps talking and talking, and nothing but shite comes outta her mouth. Someone needs to Ilyn Payne her.

- Jon SnuSnu is apparently a shit commander now... 'Cause feelings? "His plan is obvious, I wont fall for it." Falls for it. Wow, gr8 jub m8. Did he honestly not think Ramsay was gonna use Rickon as bait? Wow.

- Rickon runs in a staight line. Nice evasive maneuvers there. His death was too predictable, and definitely not worthy of an Episode 9 moment.

Ramsay's fight with Jon SnuSnu and death was done well enough. I like that it showed that RamRam is weaksauce, and Jon turning his face into pudding seemed appropriate. I still don't think Ramsay should've had such a big role in the series, but whatever - what's done is done. At last it appears his plot armor's main weakness was his own dawgs; no amount of special forces and bare-chested brawling training was enough to save him.

Overall, 6/10. It didn't have the charm and wit of Blackwater, nor the intensity of Hardhome, and it's not even close to Vikings' AoP's level. For a 9th episode, it was rather lackluster.